Lockers when travelling?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Besides crockery when towing on the road do you leave all your stuff in your top lockers i.e. tins, bottles et?. We always empty our top lockers with the exception of crockery. Many years ago when we were new to caravanning and had bought our first brand new caravan, a 2004 Lunar CSI we had a very bad snake on the M5 south near junction 13. A combination of factors. I had just overtaken a HGV and on pulling back in caught the tram lines on the road. At the time I was towing with a Volvo S80 and a single axle caravan. Previously towing experience was with a Peugeot 404 and a very over weight Sprite caravan carrying at least 6 weeks supplies.

We had previously noticed instability with the caravan on motorways and put it down to the fridge, oven, battery etc. all on the same side and the double bed being at the very rear of the caravan and across it Nothing much was under the bed. On arrival at the CL after the snaking incident we phoned the dealer and told them that there was no way we were going to tow the caravan back home due to instability issues. They came and collected the caravan for examination at their workshop. They informed us that the snake was probably caused by the stuff i.e. tins, jars etc in the top lockers. We took then at their word and have since never carried anything in the top lockers even though we now have a twin axle.

We now store all items from the top lockers in collapsible boxes. One advantage is that you do not have tins falling out smashing the top of the hob or denting the work surface. With exception of the crockery, do you remove everything from the top lockers or do you leave the stuff in there?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan lockers are empty when travelling the crockery is in the car and also the microwave dish we only carry a sauce pan at low level in a cupboard

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
People talk about placing most of the weight over the axle and balancing the van fore and aft. But it also makes sense to keep the heavier things low down from a stability aspect. Which is what we do, with, like you, the exception of crockery. (Which we prefer to use).

We once made the mistake of leaving a can in a top locker, it came out and smashed the cooker top. We were picking up glass bits for years.

John

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I travel with all the top lockers empty, apart from cups plates. perishables in the fridge, In the wardrobe cloths are stored on the lower shelves. Wheel lock and steps on floor. Everything else is in the motor.

Micro wave dish stored under the cushions.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our top lockers only have very light stuff in them, and travel without moving stuff. The only exception is a front side locker to the left which has a few tins, rice and pasta, all saucepans are front of the cooker .
I to had a big snake on a motorway but that was my bad balancing too much stuff under the rear double bed. In a Coachman 545. Moved stuff forward and carried less, no more snaking.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I never did put heavy things in the top lockers, but I never emptied them either . Crockery was usually melamine, and tins and other heavy items were always kept low. - Never had a problem.

As with so many things related to caravans, there is no black and white answer, its a question of being sensible.

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We removed the cup and plate racks from our kitchen top cupboard, and use it for food - tins, packets etc. when pitched. Any groceries we take live in bags in the boot for the journey.

There is a free standing wire shelf in it to maximise space, we leave it in while travelling as it fits snugly and doesn't move. We keep our crockery, cutlery etc. which is all melamine and plastic, even the wine "glasses" in the drawers.

The microwave turntable and ring live in their cardboard packing, wedged in with the plastic draining board, folding draining rack, melamine chopping board, and sink cover, in the tall cupboard that houses the table.

The top lockers in the living area and bedroom hold only clothes when travelling. No solid objects apart from a lap tray, which is lightweight, and wedges neatly on the bottom of one locker in the bedroom. Anything solid and heavy is kept under the beds and sofas. Spare linen lives in a large bag under one of the sofas.

The wall mounted bathroom cupboard holds various toiletries, toothbrush mugs, brush etc.

No mishaps so far apart from the cutlery drawer occasionally opening, I think when a spatula wedges too far up inside.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Top lockers only contain light stuff. Heavy things , low down under benches /beds. Heavy items like awning car boot. Since the Al-ko axle failures listed on here I am more careful than ever to avoid overloading especially at height.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan is in storage so the day before we get it ready put some bits lower down the air awning travels over the axle . The clothes the food & cooler box microwave dish ,crockery & wheelchair goes into the car .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Top lockers only contain light stuff. Heavy things , low down under benches /beds. Heavy items like awning car boot. Since the Al-ko axle failures listed on here I am more careful than ever to avoid overloading especially at height.
loading. As far as I know there is no correlation between axle failures and heights of loads. The height of the load is not going to make any substantial difference to the axle.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Travelling - melamine crockery where it should be, in the rack. We never store tins in the caravan, we keep them, in a stacker box in the awning, so they travel in the car. We keep our clothes in the locker and wardrobe, and soft goods like packets of cereal, rice, biscuits and other dry goods in the locker in the kitchen and also in a double floor cupboard just indie the door. The cocktail cabinet (im not kidding either, stupid idea) travels empty, with well travelled wine ( I dont drink the stuff) in the car. Aquaroll and wastemaster travel on the floor wedged in by cushions, as does the tv. Pans in a floor level locker. Bedding under the front bunks - nothing heavy travels there.

Awning and poles, annex and poles, awning table, cadac, chairs tinned food and drinks, groundsheet x 2, rockpegs, hookup, lump hammer and a million other things travel in the car.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Travelling - melamine crockery where it should be, in the rack. We never store tins in the caravan, we keep them, in a stacker box in the awning, so they travel in the car. We keep our clothes in the locker and wardrobe, and soft goods like packets of cereal, rice, biscuits and other dry goods in the locker in the kitchen and also in a double floor cupboard just indie the door. The cocktail cabinet (im not kidding either, stupid idea) travels empty, with well travelled wine ( I dont drink the stuff) in the car. Aquaroll and wastemaster travel on the floor wedged in by cushions, as does the tv. Pans in a floor level locker. Bedding under the front bunks - nothing heavy travels there.

Awning and poles, annex and poles, awning table, cadac, chairs tinned food and drinks, groundsheet x 2, rockpegs, hookup, lump hammer and a million other things travel in the car.
Must have a big car ?

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We have a Tiguan. We put the isabella chairs, aquaroll, wastemaster (often we dont take those because were heading f for a full service pitch), cadac, tool bag, hook up lead, heavy box, in the boot. Roll out canopy on the caravan.
Wall cupboards contain minimal crocks one side and, tea/sugar/coffee/porridge on the other. The heavy box in the boot contains essentials like wine, lager, gin, tonic and uht milk. Frdge contents kept minimal. Clothes in the wardrobe. We are travelling the same as pitched. I couldn't be bothered with all the fuss of packing and unpacking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts