Looking back at 2016 with Martin Roberts

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
He's out the jungle and looking back at the year that's coming to an end – yes, TV presenter and Practical Caravan columnist Martin Roberts is back! Have caravanners had their voices heard? Does it matter? Click here to read more.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's many a true word spoken in jest and Martin is quite right to suggest that caravanners don't make our voices heard collectively.
Brexit may mean that components or accessories from manufacturers in Europe might become even more expensive than they are at present, tourers might require visas and holiday costs may rise.
From recent forum comments the biggest concern for caravan buyers is build quality, water ingress and the perception that manufacturers continue to ignore or fail to rectify overall the issues that are the chief cause of complaint on caravan forums. :(

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree we are too quiet as a group. We have masses of complaints about shoddy caravans and servicing but most people seem to be just accepting this as the norm. I am afraid that the industry needs lots of small claims actions on the pathetic service we get when things go wrong until we get to the point when they realise it is cheaper to get things right first time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravanning is in a similar position to the UK automobile scene in the 60/70,s. You bought a car and spent the next 12/18 months going back and forth to the disinterested dealer to sort out the many quality glitches.
What changed all that was the entry to the European market of the Japanese car manufacturers.
With their quality and high number of included optional extras that we had to pay the European manufacturer additionally for with a European model, manufacturers had to compare and compete or loose their market share.
Nowadays, in my experience, by and large the only visit to my dealership is at service time!
Sadly I do not think that a similar situation will arise in the caravan market. Caravan manufacturers are aware of this and so have very little, or no, incentive to improve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the big scheme of things the UK caravan market is not very big. Yet a caravan is probably one of the top three most expensive purchases we make. But despite the value the quantity are small. Its therefore difficult to get any sort of consumer champion who has a real affinity with caravanning and popular clout to take up the cudgel on our behalf.

Could I nominate Martin if he'd be prepared consider becoming such a person?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
In the big scheme of things the UK caravan market is not very big. Yet a caravan is probably one of the top three most expensive purchases we make. But despite the value the quantity are small. Its therefore difficult to get any sort of consumer champion who has a real affinity with caravanning and popular clout to take up the cudgel on our behalf.

Could I nominate Martin if he'd be prepared consider becoming such a person?

I think you are the prime candidate for this one Prof :cheer: B)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem would be getting the trade to accept the idea. It would show their true colours though if the were against the idea Personally I would nominate the Prof. Far too thorough and knowledgeable for the other side though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am flattered by your comments, :blush:

But it needs someone with a significant public persona and a track record of not being afraid to stand-up to industry moguls and corporations.

Whilst I have had my successes, I value my privacy,

Dominic Littlewood would be another good choice. I know he has had at least one caravanning disaster storey on one of his consumer programmes, - he came to wide fame through getting good secondhand deals on cars, but does he actually support caravanning?

Princess Anne has at some time used a caravan, but I suspect she would not wish to become embroiled in such matters.

Honest John ( though I do question some of his pronouncements) He seems to carry significant weight in car matters, perhaps he would consider expanding his portfolio.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Jenkinson's the man for the job. Heaps of experience with both old and new caravan, well known in the caravan world, and with journalistic clout.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Matt Albright of Rogue Traders and Watchdog has recently taken up our hobby, having a VW California. Pity he din't buy a poor quality flagship caravan and then have first hand experience with which to do a slot and put a caravan assemblers MD on the wall of shame!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts