Looking foolish again

May 24, 2014
Visit site
So, I got my free LED upgrade kit from Swift and set out to follow the oh so simple instructions to change the lights over. The job was easy, too easy, two screws released each of the four Fluorescent strips and backboards, simple job to remove the fittings from the boards and just as easy to disconnect the two wires, one black, one red from the two loom wires, one black, one red. The sticky LEDs were easy to fit, and connect up the two wires, one black, one red, to the vans wires, one black, one red. Voila. Nothing..........................

The lights deader than the proverbial dodo. So what can possible be wrong. The lights were wired wrong. Now explain this to me, one red to a black, one black to a red. Im informed by somebody that the live feed on a Swift Caravan is black. Where in hell is the logic in that. Is it unreasonable to expect the live to be red?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Thingy,

It just goes to show that you its wise to check the wiring schematics out before you start a job like this . Conventionally I agree with black and red wires you might expect black to 0V and red 12V, but having worked with caravans and cars and many other electronic circuits, often such conventions go out the window.

Hopefully with the diodic effect of LED lighting, the lights will not have been damaged and simply reconnecting shoudl restore normal service.
Good luck

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. The lights are working perfectly now, I really should have got the multi out, but it just looked so darn simple and so darn obvious, how wrong can you be.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Forget conventions with caravans, they are a breed all of their own !
Most modern vans use White or White with a trace marker as the Negative return and a multitude of colours for the Positive .
12v systems only use Positive and Negative for the power.
230v systems use Line (or Live as used to be), Neutral and Earth

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Yep, learned that the hard way. At least I got away with it. Would have been nice had Swift included the information in the technical sheet. All they supplied was "connect the LED strip back into the loom".

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
The Prof says check the wiring schematics,however the schematic diagrams produced by unskilled people that are supposed to be trained in this subject make this logical start to problem solving impossible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
The Prof says check the wiring schematics,however the schematic diagrams produced by unskilled people that are supposed to be trained in this subject make this logical start to problem solving impossible.

I'm sorry but I think you trying to imply that all manufactures play fast and loose with such matters. Some might on some occasions of there may be changes to a product after a particular schematic has been published. but the majority do genuinely try to be accurate with such information.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There's two issues here.
1. Is Swift's wiring diagram wrong?

2. Did a Swift operative cross the wires at point of manufacture?

Swift are a professional accredited company.I'd be very surprised if no 1 was true.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No, there is is nothing actually wrong, or even done wrong by mistake. It appears, from Profs thoughts that caravan manufacturers simply choose their own colour scheme for the wiring loom. I presume if they are doing this, there is no legal reason why they shouldnt. I cannot see a company of the size and reputatiopn of Swift, and the other manufacturers making such a basic mistake. The mistake was all mine, assuming that red would be a live feed, or even a wire with a red trace in it. Had it been more complex, I would have put the multi to it, but my brain simply computed disconnecting black from black, it would reassemble the same way.

I do think that as most people would assume the red to be live in twin core, the instructions should carry some information regarding this. Swift do send out these kits with three options.
DIY, dealer and surprisingly, taking the kit to Halfords, who will do it free courtesy of Swift.

Lesson learned and thankfully no harm done. The work itself was very quick and easy to do and is a definite improvement on the overheads, its a clearer light than the hazy yellow previously given off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
............. It appears, from Profs thoughts that caravan manufacturers simply choose their own colour scheme for the wiring loom. I presume if they are doing this, there is no legal reason why they shouldnt...................

Unlike 230V ac mains wiring, 12V wiring is classed a Extra Low Voltage, and does not fall into formal category with respect of the IEEE wiring regulations.There are accepted conventions regarding the colours of wires used for the road lights, but, there is no legal requirement for standardised colour coding for the habitation internal wiring of. However The NCC does offer wiring guidance, and I believe most UK manufactures will follow a general compliance with solid White or White with a coloured stripe (usually green or blue) as the 0V line.

Whilst working with electronics, I always used a convention that used colours of the rainbow (ROYGBIV) with colours to the red side of the spectrum as having a higher potential than those to the Violet end in the same loom. But even this is not guaranteed so its always best to check the schematics, and where possible double check with meters.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " It appears, from Profs thoughts that caravan manufacturers simply choose their own colour scheme for the wiring loom."

The caravan manufacturers do not make the wiring looms, they are bought in ,as is most of the items in a van, and made by whoever the manufacturer has chosen to supply them, in Swifts instance that is Sargent , Bailey use BCA sourced electronics.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " It appears, from Profs thoughts that caravan manufacturers simply choose their own colour scheme for the wiring loom."

The caravan manufacturers do not make the wiring looms, they are bought in ,as is most of the items in a van, and made by whoever the manufacturer has chosen to supply them, in Swifts instance that is Sargent , Bailey use BCA sourced electronics.

Hello Damian,
That is true, but the loom manufacturer will follow the colours specified by the caravan manufacturer (I know this having worked with one of the loom manufacturers in the past)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts