Looking for our 1st tourer - Any ideas?

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
We are new to caravaning and looking to buy our first tourer.

We are wanting a 2 - 4 birth caravan (only me wife & 2 dogs!!), but the better half is fussy and will only have a separate shower (not shower & toilet combined), so we are looking at an end washroom.

Wondered if anyone had any suggestions, thinking of spending around £3500, so from what we have seen will be looking at a mid/late 90's I think. Have seen a Elddis Typhoon 1996, that was OK, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ps Will be towing with a Focus C-Max 2.0TDCI, 85% rule = 1267kg MTPLM, Max towing limit is 1500kg

Thanks

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Gavin,

I used to own a Bailey 460/2 it had a great end bathroom with large seperate shower, I bought mine new in 1999 so there should be some around in your price range.

I think Bailey do a 470/4 which is similar layout with a dinet, it should still be within your max weight.

I hope you have many happy years vanning

good luck mate

Tony A.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin

I can not advise on caravan for the layout you want but I can say I had the same car as yours and towed an Abbey Cardinal at approx 1280kg no probs. Very good on motorway in sixth gear and about 33 mpg when towing.

Good luck in your hunt for your first van but I would stick to the 85% rule or there about until you get used to it.

Alan

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin

Welcome to the world of caravanning.

My suggestion would be to browse ebay (but don't buy from ebay). The reason I say browse ebay is that you can usually see internal photos of layouts and get information on vans such as external length, other features etc which I found useful when we were looking from our first van.

I note you say you want an end bathroom, by looking at the photos on ebay, you can see different vans manufactured by different makers etc and colour schemes, weights etc.

The reason I say don't buy from ebay is that there are a lot of untruthful people out there.

Good luck.

Lisa

blu

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks

I am writing in defence of buying on ebay. I have bought three cars and also our first touring van on Ebay.The van was not only immaculate and fault free but a bargain.

Ebay for items like this is no more open to fraud than buying privately and if you take the same sensible precautions that you would buying privatly then you should have no problems.Things like viewing at sellers address and making sure it is their address and checking ownership through cris,just dont let the excitment of buying your fist van get the better of you.We viewed about 30 vans before we found the right one.Good luck in your search.

Regards

Sean

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Not sure where you live,but a couple of reasonable dealers to look at are ,Broad Lane Caravans,and The Caravan Company.Once you've decided on the layout you're halfway there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts