Looking for our first family caravan.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Good evening, I am sure this gets asked all the time - but we have decided to take the plunge and get our first caravan. We have just sold our Pennine Pathfinder folding camper and we need some advice on models etc. We favour either a twin dinette 5 berth or a 4 berth with same layout with perhaps fixed bunks for our 2 kids. Centre washroom etc. The big thing due to storage is that the total length should be around 21-22' or under and not too heavy as we tow with a VW Passat tdi and not a land rover. The models that have sprung into view as we research have been: Bailey Ranger 500/5, Lunar Zenith 4, & Sprite firebrand 474. I like the Bailey as it feels spacious but it is as big as we dare choose. The others are more practical for our storage and towing needs but I am concerned that they may feel cramped when we are all in them on a rainy site? However Some vans we have seen need an airstrip to store them on. Any tips re the above or are there some other makes/models we should look for? Our budget is £6000 and I thought that should get something decent but the dealers have nothing nice below £7000 unless you like draylon seat covers and drab furniture! Our tour of local dealers (Kent) bought much frustration. With new vans at around £12000 ~ £13000, £6995 seems steep for an 8 year old van! Should we wait till autumn when the season is over for a bargain private purchase? Thanks in advance. Derek

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am not going to be of much specific help, but have you had a look at the caravanfinder website as this is a good way of surveying the market and looking at the different layouts that are available. You don't say how old you children are. If there are teen or preteen take them to try the bunks as some are very narrow and have limited headroom, and older children WILL complain. Hope you find something that you like.
mel

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
they do tend to hold there money these days the sprite alpine (firebrand is a dealer special) is good 2006 will still fetch £7k take a look at the adria range (venture caravans have a good selection).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts