Looking to buy Swift Challenger Sport

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi - I've had a couple of caravans over the past 10 years, but we're now looking to upgrade our current van.

We really like the fixed bunk layout and have found a few Swift Challenger Sport models that fit the bill, I looked at a 2015 model yesterday and there was something very wrong with it (none of the front cupboard catches worked properly, laminate was peeling from edges of doors, microwave door wouldn't open, the bathroom door wouldn't shut properly and there was an awful smell inside of it - to top it off they claimed that the caravan had "only been used 5 or 6 times from new"(!)) - this model was made using the pURE/Timberless system, but the caravan itself was no good.

I am going to look at an older 2013 model this week, it's an identical model but using the timber frame - it has FSH (I'm hoping that this will show damp checks etc), from the photos I've just noticed a seal hanging down from the fixed head-height window at the front (the window with the 'SWIFT' logo on it) - apparently it's a foam storm seal and they are going to replace it - is there anything to worry about with this? Sign of a bigger issue, or something minor/common? (I've attached a small pic showing the offending seal)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• storm_seal.JPG
    storm_seal.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 24
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Goto 10

I think you are aware that caravans are not robust places to stay in. They are fine if the users respect this but some (particularly kids), can be a bit rough. It sounds to me that that is what you spotted in the first van. I would steer clear.

With the second. I imagine that the seal would be an easy replacement. But I would be concerned that some damage may have already occurred. I would also worry about why the seller allowed it to be seen like that.

If you are in no hurry keep looking. But it's a sellers market from what I hear.

John

Reactions: Goto10
Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi Goto 10

I think you are aware that caravans are not robust places to stay in. They are fine if the users respect this but some (particularly kids), can be a bit rough. It sounds to me that that is what you spotted in the first van. I would steer clear.

With the second. I imagine that the seal would be an easy replacement. But I would be concerned that some damage may have already occurred. I would also worry about why the seller allowed it to be seen like that.

If you are in no hurry keep looking. But it's a sellers market from what I hear.

John

Thanks John, from what I gather it had happened on their last outing and they'd simply forgotten to rectify it. I'm assuming there's another seal below that foam, so I'd hope no water has managed to get inside.
As you say, it's very much a seller's market at the moment, in an ideal world I'd wait a bit longer, but I have a feeling I'll be saying the same next year.
I'm going to view with an intent to purchase, but I'm also happy to walk away if it's not right.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum.
As I'm sure you'll know, water ingress and damp are the main caravan killers so overall condition is more important than year of manufacture when you're considering a purchase.
The full service history sounds promising, proof of ownership and CRiS registration are important factors.
A service history will contain damp check results, and a close interior and exterior visual inspection of the caravan is vital.
Get the vendors to state in writing on any sales receipt that the caravan is free from damp and defects before you part with any money.
Factor in to the agreed purchase price a set of new tyres, because regardless of tread depth, tyres deteriorate and should be changed after seven years or less.
Good luck 😊

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi Parksy, Sorry to jump in on this thread, I have a 2015 swift and the 4 tyres well 5 including spare are 5 yr old, i was going to change them in the next few weeks but you say these can be ok up to 7yrs old?

My tyres are totally fine no wear cracking or any damage.

Cheers,

:)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The original recommendation was change at 5 years, but this has been changed and now the recommended change is 7 years.
However, it all depends on the state of the tyres and any damage they may have sustained.

If yours are perfectly fine, no wear , no cracking or bulges and no other damage, dont forget to check the inside face of them, then it will do no harm to leave them for now, just keep checking them and make sure they are kept at the correct pressure.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The original recommendation was change at 5 years, but this has been changed and now the recommended change is 7 years.
However, it all depends on the state of the tyres and any damage they may have sustained.

If yours are perfectly fine, no wear , no cracking or bulges and no other damage, dont forget to check the inside face of them, then it will do no harm to leave them for now, just keep checking them and make sure they are kept at the correct pressure.
Hi Damian Thankyou for the information, we have our van has a yearly service and with this the tyres are done at the same time. Safety is a big concern for me so this is one of the items I like to monitor. The information about changing the tyres is useful to know and grateful for the new details.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Parksy, Sorry to jump in on this thread, I have a 2015 swift and the 4 tyres well 5 including spare are 5 yr old, i was going to chf3ange them in the next few weeks but you say these can be ok up to 7yrs old?

My tyres are totally fine no wear cracking or any damage.

Cheers,

:)
In my comment I mentioned 7 years or less.
I should have made it clearer that 7 years is the maximum time allowed before the tyres must be replaced, sorry.
Obviously we check the overall condition of our car and caravan tyres before every trip - don't we? 🤔

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I must admit i am a bit anal regarding tyres and pressures lol, all my friends and family always laugh when i comment on their tyres as i always notice if they are needing replaced or needing inflated lol. :rolleyes:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In my comment I mentioned 7 years or less.
I should have made it clearer that 7 years is the maximum time allowed before the tyres must be replaced, sorry.
Obviously we check the overall condition of our car and caravan tyres before every trip - don't we? 🤔
Sorry to be pedantic regarding excellent advice, I don;t think there is any legislation governing the age of tyres therefore there is no maximum time allowed before the tyre must be changed. However it is recommended that the tyres be changed in the seventh year unless they show signs of deteriorating before then.

However back to the OP, maybe they should consider using and Approved Workshop Technician to give a potential buy a once over before handing over hard cash if buying privately.
If buying from a dealer and using HP you have a lot of protection if anything goes wrong and can reject the caravan in the 1st 30 days and after that the dealer is given one chance at a repair before rejecting for a full refund.
Sadly there are many sellers out there that know they can demand high prices for caravan in poor condition knowing that many are first time buyers or in a rush to buy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to be pedantic regarding excellent advice, I don;t think there is any legislation governing the age of tyres therefore there is no maximum time allowed before the tyre must be changed. However it is recommended that the tyres be changed in the seventh year unless they show signs of deteriorating before then.

However back to the OP, maybe they should consider using and Approved Workshop Technician to give a potential buy a once over before handing over hard cash if buying privately.
If buying from a dealer and using HP you have a lot of protection if anything goes wrong and can reject the caravan in the 1st 30 days and after that the dealer is given one chance at a repair before rejecting for a full refund.
Sadly there are many sellers out there that know they can demand high prices for caravan in poor condition knowing that many are first time buyers or in a rush to buy.
Caravan tyres are not subject to legislation regarding age, but recently new regulations were introduced limiting tyre age to 10 years on specific categories of vehicles. This was a direct result of that horrendous crash in September 2017 on the north bound M5 near Bristol. We were heading south and passed just as it happened. That was caused by failure of an old tyre ( but legal).

I will continue to change at five years old. If they were used on the roads more frequently I’d be more acceptable of up to 7 years. But just moving them a quarter turn periodically only addresses partof the deterioration problem, even assuming they have covers on.

Mine will be five years in November 2021 but will be changed this spring before a trip to Yorkshire. Cost less than £160 for peace of mind. Peanuts compared to the cash that goes into the standing charges of this money pit hobby. 😱

The BTMA (British Tyre Manufacturers’ Association) recommend that caravan tyres be replaced every 5 years and should never be used if they are over 7 years old. It’s also recommended that caravan tyres with a high inflation pressure (above 50psi) should be replaced at 3 years and never used beyond 5 years, according to The Caravan Club.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Another important reason for keeping a close eye on tyre condition as it is not just age related. The tyres fitted new to my 2015 Lunar with 2015 dated tyres, needed changing after just 2 years. No noticeable tread wear. But the wall were badly carazen.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Another important reason for keeping a close eye on tyre condition as it is not just age related. The tyres fitted new to my 2015 Lunar with 2015 dated tyres, needed changing after just 2 years. No noticeable tread wear. But the wall were badly carazen.

John
Strangely enough on our Lunar we also had tyre issues within the first 2 years. The caravan was a 2011 but tyres were 3 years older.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The tyres on our Avondale only lasted 5 years before cracking. It does seem to vary so an annual check is needed and it should include the inside of the tyre as cracks there are just as dangerous.
Having said that our Coachman tyres lasted 10.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to be pedantic regarding excellent advice, I don;t think there is any legislation governing the age of tyres therefore there is no maximum time allowed before the tyre must be changed.
That's quite true, other than the usual legal requirements already in place regarding tread depth etc there's no special legislation with regard to caravan tyres.
What I was trying to achieve was to make the prospective buyer aware that although the tyre treads on a potential purchase will look fine at a glance, he should reduce the asking price by the cost of tyres and wheel balancing if the tyres haven't been replaced on a used caravan that is over 7 years old.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

The Caravan Club, as it was then, used to recommend change after 5 years of use or 7 years from manufacture date

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the thr forum Go to 10, I think the foam is just a filler and would be just pushed back in place.

I bet there are not many dealers that move there stack around to turn the wheels and tyres.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts