Loss of caravan wheels!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Between Gloucester and Worcester on M5 we saw two caravans that had lost the nearside wheel. One was a Bailey in southbound lane and the other a Lunar Quaser in the northbound lane. Saw one of two motorhomes pulled off onto the verge.
While travelling in the breakdown vehicle going north a caravan outfit overtook us going at a reasonable pace as we were restricted to 55mph. On his tail was a RR towing a Bailey caravan and they soon disappeared into the distance. As we approached Strensham services there they were pulled over to the side with the bonnet up!
Also saw numerous caravans and motorhomes with skylights on roof open.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Between Gloucester and Worcester on M5 we saw two caravans that had lost the nearside wheel. One was a Bailey in southbound lane and the other a Lunar Quaser in the northbound lane. Saw one of two motorhomes pulled off onto the verge.
While travelling in the breakdown vehicle going north a caravan outfit overtook us going at a reasonable pace as we were restricted to 55mph. On his tail was a RR towing a Bailey caravan and they soon disappeared into the distance. As we approached Strensham services there they were pulled over to the side with the bonnet up!
Obviously non subscribers to PCv🤪

Reactions: ProfJohnL and PTA
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So many occurrences in a relatively short distance. Makes you wonder what the numbers could be nationally ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So many occurrences in a relatively short distance. Makes you wonder what the numbers could be nationally ?
Only the third time we have seen caravans that have lost the nearside wheel. Surprised at the Lunar losing a wheel as it was a know issue on Bailey caravans.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can lend you an electric buggy I no longer need since the knee job😎😎. No rabbit feet at the moment.
Hopefully they are still with us today as I’ve been freezing water in milk and coke bottles to keep the temperature in their pen down a bit. Plus metalised paper taped to garage side door and windows.

PS plus Buckman hasn’t been in the vicinity. 🐇🐇🐇

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Only the third time we have seen caravans that have lost the nearside wheel. Surprised at the Lunar losing a wheel as it was a know issue on Bailey caravans.

Not so strange. Lunar use exactly the same chassis. Chipping Sodbury caravans, a Bailey dealer showed me a portfolio they keep on various makes with detachments. They think it was a common and shared problem. Having a detachment the first thing I bought for my new Lunar was WSL bolts. I think it was a good selling point on behalf of Bailey including the upgrade on their new vans.

It is my opinion that UK vans only using bolts 2mm less diameter than European chassis is the real issue.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Had three caravans from Chipping Sodbury. The wheel detachments started in 2011 on the series 1 Unicorn. It’s still a mystery to me. I understand what the WSL bolts do but over 40 years my bog standard Al-ko bolts never failed 🤞🤞

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had three caravans from Chipping Sodbury. The wheel detachments started in 2011 on the series 1 Unicorn. It’s still a mystery to me. I understand what the WSL bolts do but over 40 years my bog standard Al-ko bolts never failed 🤞🤞
Did it affect steel and alloy wheels or just alloys?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As far as I’m aware only caravans with alloy wheels were affected. If that is so I suspect that the caravan manufacturer never co-ordinated with AlKo whether their choice of alloy wheel was actually suited to the design of the axle.

It might be that manufacturers were supplied alloy wheels from a third party. But Alko do have their own range from which to choose.

It still leaves the question as to why exactly the same hub is machined for 2mm larger bolts on continental vans as opposed to those for UK manufacturers. That equates to far greater frictional resistance.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Mine did! When my van was in Chipping Sodbury having a new axle fitted. Mine was just 1 of 5 being done.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Coming here yesterday and outfit passed me on the other side his Heki was up and also the aerial like mine you have to push up . just bugs why people do not check before they leave .
We always checks the the wheel nuts are tighten before we get going .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Coming here yesterday and outfit passed me on the other side his Heki was up and also the aerial like mine you have to push up . just bugs why people do not check before they leave .
Being so conscientious will undoubtedly delay your elevation to become a Woosie Knight. 😂

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sadly not everyone is careful like us old lags😥.Having almost lost a car wheel, some years ago the torque wrench lives in the boot

Reactions: Hutch

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Combine the following:
UK hubs castings not fully machined (machined to clean on the outside) because UK caravan producers do not specify it. Caravan wheel fastener thread size I didn't know about until jcloughie mentioned it, but a 14mm threaded stud has a hugely greater tensile strength and therefore maximum tightening torque. UK caravan manufacturers (apart from Bailey after a certain cut in date) do not specify wheel/tyre balancing and claim it doesn't matter. Shock absorbers were not fitted as standard to most UK caravans before a certain cut in date, and still aren't to some.
Add to this a poor attitude towards caravan servicing, I know for certain that some wheel detachments occurred immediately after servicing, one within half a mile.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem could be easily resolved by using a reverse thread on the nearside wheels but for some reason this is illegal. As it is a loose bolt on a nearside wheel will unwind itself as the wheel turns. A reverse thread would have the opposite effect.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Being so conscientious will undoubtedly delay your elevation to become a Woosie Knight. 😂
Hi Clive if we became a Woosie any help getting a awning or canopy we would appreciate it if it wasn"t for our kind neighbours i was struggling with the pegging we gave them a bottle of wine to say our thanks :cool:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The problem could be easily resolved by using a reverse thread on the nearside wheels but for some reason this is illegal. As it is a loose bolt on a nearside wheel will unwind itself as the wheel turns. A reverse thread would have the opposite effect.
Ford, Tried it on some of the early Transit vans and Chrysler did as well, they must have decided that it was not worth the hassle in the end.
It is the wheel harmonics that causes the wheel bolts to unwind, not the direction of rotation.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
If it’s wheel harmonics that causes the problem, and I have no reason to doubt. Then another excellent reason to have the wheels balanced

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The vibrations may cause the bolts to loosen but it is the direction of rotation that causes them to unwind. That is why it normally happens on the one side.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts