Lunar Venus 540 wiring mess and general opinion

lh3

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone, just after some opinions -pictures attached.

Had the van for a year, previous owner has had aftermarket solar panel and alarm fitted. Solar charger sometimes doesn't want to charge, no big deal, etc...
Anyway, I could see a bit of a mess behind the charger/control box, look a bit closer I can see a bare wire. Take the charger out and it also turns out the van has a tracker fitted. Dealer told us there is a switch in the battery compartment for the movers (as well as an isolator) but on inspection today the switch is for the tracker.

There is a bare wire (it's on the alarm or tracker) and its a big mess.

I know its a cheapo van an I'm not expecting anything other than "functional" but this wiring isn't really up to my standards, they have broken into the double insulated wire from the battery to power the tracker, the fuse holder I can see looks like an Amazon special.

My question: is this "to be expected"? Is this just how it goes for caravan wiring? If I go crying to the dealer are they gonna laugh me out of there? Stick some tape over the bare wire and carry on?

Also, anyone know what the lonely red wire coming out of the EC175 is? (also a picture)

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_141629540.jpg
    IMG_20200707_141629540.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200707_142217841.jpg
    IMG_20200707_142217841.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200707_142434465.jpg
    IMG_20200707_142434465.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200707_141242081.jpg
    IMG_20200707_141242081.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 32
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In general I think you will find the rats nest is fairly typical of UK caravan wiring, and having worked on a couple of continental vans, they were no better.

However if you have a fault, (and I would call exposed wires a fault) then you have every right to ask the seller to put it right.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Why don"t you get someone like mobile caravan services they would test it to see what the wires are if you dont want to get in contact with the seller ..

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem is that you say you have had the van for a year and presumably just found the situation.
With the length of time you have had the van I doubt if the seller would entertain any claim as they would almost certainly say it was not like that when they sold it.

However, breaking into the mover supply wire is a big NO and leaving a bare wire is downright dangerous.

Sadly I think it is going to be up to you to put right anything that needs doing.

lh3

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies! From what you are saying, I'm not making a fuss over nothing but I'm probably going to have a bit of a hard time convincing someone it's their problem.

Sorting it out is within my abilities but I'm obviously a bit annoyed that I have to. I'm not sure I have the energy for a fight with the dealer only for them to do a rubbish job.

The van was serviced two weeks ago, I'm guessing there is no electrical inspection in a service?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The van was serviced two weeks ago, I'm guessing there is no electrical inspection in a service?

This is where you may have a case.
During a service there is a requirement to check the electrical installation, which should include visually checking all accessable wiring.
Some wiring cannot be seen as it goes behind various items and is sometimes through conduit.

Was this service done by the dealer or a mobile engineer and were either of them NCC Approved?

lh3

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
Service was by dealer. Not an NCC approved workshop as far as I can tell from the approvedworkshops.co.uk site.
I would say the bare wire is not accessible since it was behind the charger/control box - it was visible through a vent in the side of the wooden housing the charger sits in.

Another question: If the dealer/previous owner/whoever fitted a solar panel/alarm/tracker before I purchased it, is that "modified" for the purpose of the insurance? Because they did ask and i'd be inclined to say yes.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
is that "modified" for the purpose of the insurance?

Absolutely not !
That situation is not "modified", it is butchered by someone who does not know what they were doing.
Sadly I see a lot of this kind of thing in caravans that have been "improved" by clueless owners.

Any modification must be done to the current applicable standards, and that is clearly not.

If an owner does not know the standards required, then they should not do the job themselves.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The mover and tracker would have been an after fit, possibly by the original dealer, so the wiring problem would not be the fault of Lunar. It is obviously very badly done and needs to be put right. I agree though that most manufacturers wiring set up is not the best.
Given the time you have had the caravan, any claim against the original seller is now doubtful, and I cannot see one against the servicing workshop. In their case, if they had spotted it they should have contacted you and asked if you wanted to pay for it correcting. It was not their responsibility to fix it unless you agreed. Given your description of the location I doubt they could be regarded as negligent in missing it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The mover and tracker would have been an after fit, possibly by the original dealer, so the wiring problem would not be the fault of Lunar. It is obviously very badly done and needs to be put right. I agree though that most manufacturers wiring set up is not the best.
Given the time you have had the caravan, any claim against the original seller is now doubtful, and I cannot see one against the servicing workshop. In their case, if they had spotted it they should have contacted you and asked if you wanted to pay for it correcting. It was not their responsibility to fix it unless you agreed. Given your description of the location I doubt they could be regarded as negligent in missing it.
Whilst dealer and manufacturers warranties may have expired, the CRA has not. The last seller is responsible for the goods, and in this case the bare wire would have been present at the point of sale, and is therefore the sellers responsibility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts