Magnetic Gas Level gauge

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has any one got any experience of the magnetic level gauges that clamp to the side of the gas bottle? It would save having to bend down and climb into the front locker and give the bottle a shake!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

The "stick-on" style gauges work by detecting the temperature difference between the gas and liquid regions of the bottle.

When you're using gas (at a moderate or higher rate) the liquid boils and sucks in heat from the outside - so the bottle wall cools down - and you may even see droplets of condensation on the bottle surface - exactly like a really cold beer...

When you're not using gas - the whole bottle reaches one even temperature.

So:

1. If you're not using gas - the gauge doesn't work.

2. If you are using gas - then the gauge does work - but you may be able to see the level from the condensation anyway - or just running your hand up the bottle and feeling the bottle warm up will indicate the level just as well.

Suggestions:

1. A Gaslow (or similar) pressure gauge is a reasonable indicator. In truth they only indicate when you are about to run out...

2. A BP GasLite bottle with translucent walls is the easiest to use - you can see how much gas is present

3. Or place the bottle on a cheap set of bathroom scales - as long as the securing strap is loose and the pigtail is arranged sensibly (so that it doesn't cause the scales to misread) - then these give a good indication of gas content. Sure you need to subtract the weight of the empty bottle - but they do work...

Robert

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Other Clive and All

Having been 'vanning for over 20 years we have found that a bottle of gas lasts us for approximately 40 days. I keep a note of when I change the bottle and don't worry about it until I get to about 35 days. That's when I take a second bottle with me and be a Boy Scout and warn her that uses it to 'Be Prepared' for it running out and me having to spend a couple of minutes changing the bottle over. If the weather is likely to be cold and perhaps want to use the gas heater I just take this into consideration before I set off if I'm nearing the 35 day mark. So far, no problem. (Perhaps I shouldn't have said that !!)

John M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts