Mains pressure regulator for permanently sited caravan?

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a device to regulate the pressure from mains and bring it down somewhere safe for a caravan please? I want a permanent water supply.

I have also seen some devices which look like a toilet ball/**** system, I wondered about making a bucket or trying to find an old header tank, putting mains to that on the auto-refill ball/**** system, but still using submersible whale pump in the bottom to pump into the caravan. Ideas welcome, I don't want to blow up my water system with mains pressure, been there, got the (wet) T Shirt :D
Thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a device to regulate the pressure from mains and bring it down somewhere safe for a caravan please? I want a permanent water supply.

I have also seen some devices which look like a toilet ball/**** system, I wondered about making a bucket or trying to find an old header tank, putting mains to that on the auto-refill ball/**** system, but still using submersible whale pump in the bottom to pump into the caravan. Ideas welcome, I don't want to blow up my water system with mains pressure, been there, got the (wet) T Shirt :D
Thanks
The easy way is just to use a submersible pump in the aquaroll, conventionally, and then top it up daily with a hose connection to the mains - or you can buy a cistern-valve kit to make it automatic.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I'd still be grateful if anyone can explain how to rig up a pressure regulator off mains, and where to get a suitable one, if anyone knows. Thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'd still be grateful if anyone can explain how to rig up a pressure regulator off mains, and where to get a suitable one, if anyone knows. Thanks
You just want one of these - different types are available to fit different water containers,

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

If you want to avoid using an aquaroll
I don't recommend it - we got one as standard equipment with our Lunar Clubman but the pressure regulator is way lower than the normal submersible pump so the water flow rate is very poor.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I echo Rogers comments, and will add that using the the cistern approch protects the caravan from mains pressure, but also situations where the flow from the tap may be reduced because of other users on the same supply.

Reactions: johnfrosty
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
If you go the cistern / Aquaroll route, I recommend a kit which incorporates this valve. The silly little blue one which came with my Aquaroll branded kit was flimsy and I replaced it after it permanently broke within a few months with the one I linked. Much more robust.

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. Still want to find a way to regulate the pressure on the mains hose if possible. I don't have any ports on caravan body, it will be piped in so I think I just need some sort of device to go on a mains tap which regulates and is ideally adjustable.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Seeing your other propex heater thread and that it is an LMC and wonder if it has non standard means of filling the internal water tank rather than the usual Whale submersible pump and tank within the van to switch between internal or external tank supply. Seems then such installation would be one means of resolving the issue?

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Thanks. Still want to find a way to regulate the pressure on the mains hose if possible. I don't have any ports on caravan body, it will be piped in so I think I just need some sort of device to go on a mains tap which regulates and is ideally adjustable.
I have used one of these for exactly that. It gets used on farmers taps on my Scout camps where the high pressure blows our extensive plumbing over flexible pipes.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would think it would be simpler to have the proper water connection fitted onto the LMC caravan. Easy to do and makes life a whole lot simpler and enjoyable.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

If you really want to do that, together with the risks it brings others have shown you the basic valves marketed to do that.
Those already shown though share one fundamental hazard; any leaking of their cut off feature will quickly lead to the supply pressure building up on the output side. Not that it necessarily will get there, it is likely a downstream component, pipework or water heater, will fail before it reaches that point.

On "valuable" kit, those responsible engineers designing water systems using these basic devices, add in a downstream relief valve, or "weak" point, or specify more complex valves that have an integrated relief. These reliefs dumping the spill away to safety.

It is up to individual owners to decide if their caravans or components like Alde boilers are "valuable" enough to protect from such regulator malfunction. It only takes a hair, particle of debris, or a tiring seal for these devices to fail.
My clients contracted me to protect their "kit" because they valued it.

The mentioned alternative systems utilising a ball controlled valve, in the Aquaroll or similar external storage, at worse only flood the field if it malfunctions.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts