Making a combi awning

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Have converted an Isabella 875 Ambassador into a combi by nicking the awning cord,tried to crush it with mole gripos,pliers etc with no luck.The cord has now withdrawn into the awning piping by about 50mm so want it proffessionally converted.Has anyone had this done.Have spoken to Canvas repair center who want to sew a foam panel in but I have the isabella kit.I would like an extended awning cord and then a flap sewn on to cover the cord ,has anyone done a similar thing to guide me.The reason I want a flap is there is no gutter on our Bailey Indiana and the water comes sheeting off the roof when its heavy rain and it comes in through the cut and I think a flap would direct the water away.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
I realise this won't be a budget option, but have you contacted Isabella? It undertakes repairs and alterations to its own awnings and they use this very flash machinery that allows the same needle holes to be reused when restitching - very clever stuff. Might need a mortgage though...

Just a thought...

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nigel.Thanks for the reply I did infact contact Isabella and the best they came up with was new awning cord which would cost £125 which I thought was quite reasonable.The quote to 'Porchify' was about £50 more but I can see the advantage and why its more.I was surprised at how reasonable Isabellas price was though esp.as many Bailey owners could need new awning cord to get round the tight bend on the Alutech vans.

Regards to you,Dave

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I did it to a trio mexico awning. What I did was to sew through the awning cord with strong sailmakers thread to stitch the inner cord to the outer sleeve and then cut it through. What you could do Dave, is to sew the awning cord where it is now and then glue in place a soft plastic tube to fill the 50mm gap. Clear pipe from either a fish pet shop or DIY should do the trick. A general purpose glue like bostick should work. The strong thread can be purchased from hobby craft.
I used the isabella awning pole kit myself and it worked very well.

When our inaca awning has had it's day I won't be shelling out £1300 on a replacement. I'll get another mexico and alter that one myself. My last mexico was £250 second hand and was just as strong as the inaca. Our inaca mirage is goodbut with steel poles and the weight of a seasonal awning with window storm covers, is too much for us now we are broken (arthritic shoulders & elbows and back trouble).

Good luck with your project.

Steve L

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion Steve but we have arranged for the CRC to collect and do it.They are also going to supply a full length awning skirt with some piping sewn on the front as I have a windbreak that fits in the unused part of the awning channel.I am hoping to use a figure of 8 section to link the skirt to windbreak to stop the cadac blowing out.I bought a new isabella lporch leg at the NEC for £32 which I thought was a bargain,then I can use a verandah pole at the rear to get some air through.
Best wishes
Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a point of interest I converted my Bradcot awning in the same way. We are in Portugal at the moment and have recently had some very harsh weather, with high winds and heavy driving rain.
The awning stood up well and it was as secure and safe as it was before the conversion.
Concerning the trouble you had with the rubber retracting, I injected some super glue either side of the cut before I actually made the cut. The reason I did this was to stop the braid from fraying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts