Maximising space

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
In relation to the width threads at the moment-

The obvious answer to me for a bigger floor area is slideouts, they do not increase the physical size and might even allow narrower and shorter vans.

Weight would increase although for comparable floor areas (shorter or narrower van) it might not be that different.

You could have manually operated ones or ones that operate from the hookup to a running car or mains supply.

The Americans do it (not just RVs but caravans which they call trailer RVs) why aren't we doing it?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Let the UK caravan industry sort out their leaking Caravans first before you let them loose on slide outs.

I've used a number of RV's with slideouts, they have huhe H section beam chassis that handle the forces exerted on them by the slide out and big heavy electic motors to drive the slide. The rooves in general are roller blind arrangements that are fine in Californian sunshine but not always ideal in our weather. Unless the Caravan industry was to do a complete build ing re think and use aerospace light weight composites i think most would struggle to tow the beasts.

The best thing they could do would be to avoid getting any build ideas from a slide out American RV ;-)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Knaus offered a caravan with a slideout for a short time a couple of years ago but it had more disadvantages than advantages. The gain in width is disproportionate with the extra weight of all the guiding system and operating mechanism (not so important on a motor home but weight is of paramount importance on caravans). The slideout itself is very much a potential weakness regarding waterleaks. The walls of the slideout necessarily have to be relatively thin, leading to poor insulation (not so important in America where people don't give energy costs a second thought).

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Knaus offered a caravan with a slideout for a short time a couple of years ago but it had more disadvantages than advantages. The gain in width is disproportionate with the extra weight of all the guiding system and operating mechanism (not so important on a motor home but weight is of paramount importance on caravans). The slideout itself is very much a potential weakness regarding waterleaks. The walls of the slideout necessarily have to be relatively thin, leading to poor insulation (not so important in America where people don't give energy costs a second thought).
I had thought there might be insulation isues but thought that the Americans would probably have sorted that out. If not I would have thought it no more of an issue than using the awning as living space or being in a trailer tent.

I also believe that some of the American caravans have fold out sections at the front and rear rather like a trailer tent.

I bought the slide outs up because I think longer and wider vans would not be practical on a lot of our roads, our Mendip Magnum 636 is 7ft 6in wide and 25ft 9in long and can be a handful regarding to size on some roads.

If you do not want to increase the footprint of the van what other methods are available?

1. 5th wheels have the advantage of increasing the useable length of the van within the same overall length.

They also have the added benefit of increased inherent stability because of the pivot being within the towcars footprint, however you lose space in the towcar.

2.Remember the double decker caravan being rebuilt on the caravan show a couple of years ago - not very practical.

3. Slideouts

4. Trailer tent type attachments

5. Attaching an awning

Any others?

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I had thought there might be insulation isues but thought that the Americans would probably have sorted that out. If not I would have thought it no more of an issue than using the awning as living space or being in a trailer tent.

I also believe that some of the American caravans have fold out sections at the front and rear rather like a trailer tent.

I bought the slide outs up because I think longer and wider vans would not be practical on a lot of our roads, our Mendip Magnum 636 is 7ft 6in wide and 25ft 9in long and can be a handful regarding to size on some roads.

If you do not want to increase the footprint of the van what other methods are available?

1. 5th wheels have the advantage of increasing the useable length of the van within the same overall length.

They also have the added benefit of increased inherent stability because of the pivot being within the towcars footprint, however you lose space in the towcar.

2.Remember the double decker caravan being rebuilt on the caravan show a couple of years ago - not very practical.

3. Slideouts

5. Attaching an awning

Any others?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Despite the "veneer" do not put a lot of faith in American RV's Garry.

They are full of Gizmo's that cover a lot of poor quality build issues.

They also have a lot of poor engine and transmissions and bare metal finish under the skin, OK in California but not on our damp roads.

They also suffer from more than their fair share of leaks, delamination and splits on rooves and very wafer thin Allumimium panels.

Wouldn't have one in a gift myself unless someone else was prepared to pay for the upkeep and repairs.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

3. Slideouts

5. Attaching an awning

Any others?
The insulation of a slideout would, of course, be better than a trailer tent but then lots of people use caravans in winter, too, but few use trailer tents during that time of the year.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I take your point Chris but this post was not really about the quality of American RVs it was about how you might get more space out of the same footprint.

I think the Americans probably waste a lot of the space they have gained as one of those photos shows a kitchen which would look OK in a house over here!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
With all the complaints about leaking and damp UK vans Garry I just fear that they get the idea of copying American ideas and Practices :-(

I've been working on a work project recently using new materials and I'm even more sure I could build a lighter stronger caravan than either the Brit or European Manufacturers that did not leak and could have features such as slide outs.

Its not my line of business so don't panic ;-)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I had forgot about that - but yes that is the sort of thing I was looking at.

I think the UK caravan industry has been very conservative in innovation - they could do with an Andre Citroen to shake things up a little.

I do love my van though!

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Having had a trailer tent and a pop-top, I quite like the idea of a van that expands when on site.

But rather than the large sections of rooms that are normally used in this sort of context, what about just expanding bits?

I'm thinking, for instance, of the bathroom. In travel mode has just room for the loo and basin, but on site a small section swings out to make the shower cubicle; no power or great structural strength needed, as it is such a small area.

Bunk beds could operate on a similar basis.

These sort of smaller structures would be much easier to make - and the shower would be less critical for waterproofing anyway - and could offer quite a useful increase in space.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Older caravanettes had a foof that raised ,fibre glass roof with carvas sides,which had two bunks in. Surely this could be bought up to date to give extra sleeping space . Modern materials could make it both lightweight and warm.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Older caravanettes had a foof that raised ,fibre glass roof with carvas sides,which had two bunks in. Surely this could be bought up to date to give extra sleeping space . Modern materials could make it both lightweight and warm.
foof !!! errr roof

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A few years ago, PC did a feature on the possible restoration of a caravan that had two floors, just like a double decker bus. Now, if they could do something like that, years ago, why not now? With todays, err, modern materials and ingenuity, would it be so difficult to get a maisonette on wheels?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts