May have to do an illegal act !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After returning from Norfolk the van, even by my standards, was distinctly dirty. So yesterday being good weather I cleaned it with Fenwicks and used Bobby Dazzler. It came up very well. Today’s plan was to spray with Overwintering fluid and return it to store prior to lockdown. Then last night a neighbour knocked on the door to let us know she had brought her house move forwards to today. Now the close is full of removal vehicles and the van is still covered in ice. Hopefully i can get it away before the new folks move in. Otherwise it may be delayed until tomorrow. Should I ask my adjacent neighbour if it will be okay? There are two police officers in the family. Perhaps they could have a word with their colleagues to allow me a free passage. 😂😂

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Are you not also screwed by the storage facility being in lockdown when you arrive tomorrow morning?

Having the "word" with neighbour, the police could be there in the morning to get the £1000, or whatever, from both you and the yard if they ease the gate open for you. ;)

If you don't move it, then the incoming neighbour could sue the outgoing for not disclosing a caravan is stored in the Close, its a lose all way situation, you could hit the main news over this one Clive!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Are you not also screwed by the storage facility being in lockdown when you arrive tomorrow morning?

Having the "word" with neighbour, the police could be there in the morning to get the £1000, or whatever, from both you and the yard if they ease the gate open for you. ;)

If you don't move it, then the incoming neighbour could sue the outgoing for not disclosing a caravan is stored in the Close, its a lose all way situation, you could hit the main news over this one Clive!
No our storage was available throughout the first lockdown and the gin distillery converted to making sanitiser. An essential purchase 😊

Thats not a good prediction. Don’t wish to add to my list of illegal acts either. 🤭

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There appears to be some confusion on what constitutes “essential “ travel. My main supermarket is in Gloucestershire 4 miles away. I live on the Wiltshire Gloucester Border. My nearest Wiltshire supermarket is 10 miles away.
So to be sensible and reduce my travel I will go across the County Border. Am I wrong?🤔
This may or may not help:-
Can I go on a day trip or travel outside of my local area?
The guidance explicitly states that people living in England should avoid travelling in or out of their local area with a few exceptions.
One of these does include exercise - but only if you need to make a short journey to do so. So while you won't be able to travel from Oldham all the way to Wigan for a family day out, if you live close to the border of a borough, you will be able to cross it for exercise - ie a walk - without breaking the rules.
If you do need to travel, the government encourages you to walking or cycling where possible, and to plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport.

Maybe Clive is exercising🤪🤪
Perhaps it’s different in Scotland Ray?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i would see if you can spray the caravan when the ice has gone and put your caravan back into storage when the removal lorry have gone

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why you think moving the caravan is illegal unless it is stored in another council area.
I don’t think that tomorrow’s restrictions in England demarcate council or county or city lines. We are all in the United England from tomorrow 😂. Keep travel local and essential.

PS. And I predict that in 10 years United England will be all that’s left of the former U.K. Say no more🤭

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There is so much interpretation i cannot imagine you'd be fined for moving it-rather warned on a first time -and it is a one off. My wife is working away-essential-school and it's too far to travel daily so we are taking the caravan-is this illegal or not-can do overnight stays for essential work so the caravan is going to the site owner who says that is fine by him-we'll be the only ones there and if told off I will come back home but she basically needs me to run round with files etc-mmmm!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is so much interpretation i cannot imagine you'd be fined for moving it-rather warned on a first time -and it is a one off. My wife is working away-essential-school and it's too far to travel daily so we are taking the caravan-is this illegal or not-can do overnight stays for essential work so the caravan is going to the site owner who says that is fine by him-we'll be the only ones there and if told off I will come back home but she basically needs me to run round with files etc-mmmm!
That happened during lockdown 1 as some sites stayed open to allow key workers to be separate or to enable workers to be closer to their place of work. Also there were units moving about as folks returned back home. I don’t see it as a problem, after all we don’t plan on having a rave.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I thought that was the case; she should be fine then. Thank you-and no no raves-might venture out for my exercise with the dog but we're aiming to take enough supplies so we don't have to shop for the week too. I could get a bit stir crazy I suppose but will have to buy some extra internet mins on my phone or take plenty of DVDs! Think we are going for it!

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi otherclive
Only my opinion but I would contact storage and say you will be fetching your caravan at a approx time and if you do get pulled explain the situation and ask police to contact storage, however you may get some abuse via hand signals ect from other road users and pedestrians, talking from experience. The beginning of Feb we went to a small site to minimise our contact with covid only us there, but when lockdown was announced at 8.30pm we had to come home next morning due to too many venos, saw 3 police cars on our 70 mile drive without a problem however did get a bit of abuse from road users and pedestrians

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought that was the case; she should be fine then. Thank you-and no no raves-might venture out for my exercise with the dog but we're aiming to take enough supplies so we don't have to shop for the week too. I could get a bit stir crazy I suppose but will have to buy some extra internet mins on my phone or take plenty of DVDs! Think we are going for it!
A nearby neighbour came by today and told me they had sold the MH which they had only bought 2 years ago. It was SORN during the first lockdown and their son used it when his job folded. He stayed in the MH whilst mum and dad stayed in the house shielding. They have only been away 2 nights so decided to sell it and then if things improve in 2021 they will buy a two berth.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I hope everything goes smoothly at this essential school good luck

Reactions: JezzerB

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our van on a seasonal pitch in Wales ( at least that’s where it was the last time I saw it, which was some time ago as the area went into local lockdown first 🙁) needs a job doing under warranty. After waiting for the replacement part for months, we had it booked into the dealer in England for mid November. Oh good, after the end of the Welsh lockdown, I thought. No law breaking there.

Then came the English lockdown.

How illegal would it be to drive from England, where we live, into Wales ( the first minister said Do Not Cross the Border) hitch up and tow the van back into England. Get the work done, then back across England into Wales. All during English lockdown. 😱

After considering a series of Mission Impossible Solutions ( I look good dressed entirely in black), we bumped the date to mid December.

mel

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our van on a seasonal pitch in Wales ( at least that’s where it was the last time I saw it, which was some time ago as the area went into local lockdown first 🙁) needs a job doing under warranty. After waiting for the replacement part for months, we had it booked into the dealer in England for mid November. Oh good, after the end of the Welsh lockdown, I thought. No law breaking there.

Then came the English lockdown.

How illegal would it be to drive from England, where we live, into Wales ( the first minister said Do Not Cross the Border) hitch up and tow the van back into England. Get the work done, then back across England into Wales. All during English lockdown. 😱

After considering a series of Mission Impossible Solutions ( I look good dressed entirely in black), we bumped the date to mid December.

mel
Similar problem as mine is due a service 30 November. Do I go ahead or rearrange. I think I will try the later although since I booked this one in August I suspect that trying to move it could push it well to the right of new year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mel Where about in wales is your seasonal site.?
Where i take my caravan he said he still be working through the 1st lockdown some customers would still need a service and the rest of the time he would get on with the damp caravans & motorhomes .
so i check with him he doing that through the second lockdown
But it your choice when you want it done clive

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mel
Where about in Wales was your seasonal site ?
Where i take my caravan he said he still be working through the 1st lockdown some customers would still need a service and the rest of the time he would get on with the damp caravans & motorhomes .
It’s not really my choice as the scheduled service is booked whilst this lockdown is in place and if I move it then it is dependent on when the next vacancy is available. I plan to talk to him to see what his plans are.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mel Where about in wales is your seasonal site.?
Good thought Beachball. The problem is not the service centre, which may well be open but the fact that we would have to travel from the midlands and cross the Welsh border twice with the van on the back. Not within the restrictions methinks. Unless, of course Dominic Cummings was free to tow for us......Hmmmm.
mel

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts