Membership

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I think this is ok to post, but apologies if it is not (I did read the community rules and didn't see anything).

We are contemplating becoming a member of a caravan club and there is a couple that I am aware of, but not sure if there are benefits over each other. and would like to get some feedback.

Thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I think this is ok to post, but apologies if it is not (I did read the community rules and didn't see anything).

We are contemplating becoming a member of a caravan club and there is a couple that I am aware of, but not sure if there are benefits over each other. and would like to get some feedback.

Thanks
Your question is perfectly legitimate Charlie.
There are two main clubs, the Caravan and Motorhome Club (CAMC) and the Camping and Caravan Club ( C&CC).
Both clubs offer various membership benefits such as caravan insurance, breakdown and recovery and both have a network of main club sites and smaller local authority licences 5 van sites.
The CAMC hosts caravans and motorhomes and the C&CC hosts caravans, motorbikes and tent campers.
The CAMC has a few more sites than the C&CC and the sites are said by CAMC members to be better looked after.
The C&CC is said to be more child friendly and age related discounts on pitches are offered for older members.
You pay your money and take your choice.
No doubt others will add their own points of view in due course.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I joined both with the intention of making a decision after 12 months. The rest is history as they say🤣 Parksy has summed it up very well so I would advise looking at both websites and then making your decision. I found the additional cost of being in both clubs was worth it given the extra coverage that you get of main club sites and the CL/CS as well as other benefits.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
As above, we joined both to see which we preferred, 25 years later we're still in both! For the sake of £40-ish for each it'd be money well spent as we all have different likes/dislikes. Belonging to both also gives greater choice at peak holiday times, BUT it's worth remembering that there are lots of independent sites as well that can offer good value for money and (sometimes) in a better location.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I found that both clubs have the same gaps in their network of club sites and small CL/CS sites so no value in joining both.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Thanks
If you are retired, join the Retired Caravanners Association. You will meet like minded people and their rallies on normally on proper sites, but with big discounts. rallies normally last 10 days.

The Caravan Club CAMC is now too pricey for us at an average of over £40 a night for many of the sites we favour. We prefer using commercial sites which generally are cheaper and have better facilities. We only remain members of the CAMC for the CL (5 van sites) network.

Join both CAMC and C&CC and end of the year decide which one is best for you and stay with that club or just dump both. Your preference.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I belonged to both for years. Now it’s just the CAMC. I love their numerous CLs many of which are FSP. The main CAMC sites lack numerous FSPs. They also have a number of sites with no toilet/ shower blocks. Just EHU and grey/ brown waste disposal.
The CLs are the gemstone for me

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also joined both for some years ago with CAMC we love the CLS Adult parks and hard standing service pitches with a toilet block and even some with tv connections . you have to make your own choice which you prefer

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are in both. Yes the CAMH has more sites but it may be you want to visit a specific area and sometimes the C&CC are the better option.
As a member of both the maintenance of the C&CC sites is a little lower but not enough to make any real difference. The main difference is on arrival the CAMH lets you choose a pitch from the type booked whereas the C&CC will allocate you one although they will normally discuss your needs with you first and try to give you one that is appropriate.
As for services they both are very good but if you are looking at foreign touring I am afraid the CAMH is vastly superior.
For towing the breakdown cover for members is way ahead of what you will find elsewhere.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
In my limited one year experience, I have been a member of both clubs, and have renewed both memberships.

I love the CAMC for the general high standard of sites, and abundance of fully serviced pitches and pretty much guaranteed peace and quiet at night.

CC&C seems to have more CLs . The club sites are pretty decent too. Join both clubs if it's not cost prohibitive.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In my limited one year experience, I have been a member of both clubs, and have renewed both memberships.

I love the CAMC for the general high standard of sites, and abundance of fully serviced pitches and pretty much guaranteed peace and quiet at night.

CC&C seems to have more CLs . The club sites are pretty decent too. Join both clubs if it's not cost prohibitive.
To be pedantic he C&CC don't have CLs, they have CS's. I thought the CAMC had more CLs, but I have not been a member of the C&CC for many years?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To be pedantic he C&CC don't have CLs, they have CS's. I thought the CAMC had more CLs, but I have not been a member of the C&CC for many years?
Last time I checked the Caravan Club had approximately twice as many members, twice as many club sites and twice as many CL/CS 5-van sites.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
In general both clubs have large numbers of cl's and cs's and in most cases there will be one near whare you want to go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts