Mercedes ML270

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Having set the cat amongst the pigeons with my last posting, lets ee if I can do it again. My search for a 7 seat 4X4 to tow my Elddis Crusader Superstorm has now widened to include the Mercedes Benz ML 270. Any comments on this vehicle will be gratefully received.

regards

Steve

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

I have the same 2.7 litre CDI engine and 5G sequencetronic automatic gearbox in my C-Class, and it's a very, very good combination - one of the very best Euro III engines with a smooth gearbox.

180 bhp and 410 NM torque are more than adequate for most towing issues. Four wheel drive, bigger frontal area and heavier kerb-weight will dull the performance a bit - but not by much.

Don't buy the manual version - The 2.7 litre engine is downgraded in power for use with that generation of 6 speed manual boxes - this was limited in the amount of torque it would handle - but no one sensible buys a bigger engined Mercedes and has a manual box.

Build quality of the very first ML models (from the USA factory) was a bit patchy - so if you look on the build plate - if it says "Made in the USA" you may want to take a look at panel fit, etc. This was resolved quite quickly though.

Robert

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments. I'm having a look at a 2001 model (y reg) with an auto box. I understand that nearly all of the ML range were built in America with the exception of some mostly left hookers which were built in Austria.

The one I'm interested in has covered 95k which i am told is nothing for the beast.

My dilema is is do I buy a newer lower mileage Terrano 3.0 SVE or the Merc?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen,

Compared to the 3 litre Terrano, the 2.7 litre M class has an extra 30 bhp and more torque. So from the engine point of view - I'd say go for the M class.

As a towing vehicle, the M class is 1.92 metres wide compared to the narrower Terrano (1.75 metres) and consequently the Terrano rolls more on cornering. It is my belief that the M class will be more stable towing too.

Interiors - Nissan seem to like fake wood and two-tone paint - this doesn't really cut the mustard in a sophisticated marketplace. But you will get a load of electronics thrown in that were (expensive) options on the M-Class.

Servicing - There are many good independent Mercedes service centres - if you have one near you - then the savings are well worth having.

Mileage - My C-class has done 70,000 miles since I took delivery in November 2002 - the engine is still inaudible (excpet when idling at a stop) and still returns the same excellent fuel consumption.

Robert

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Stephen

I tow a Crusader super storm with a ML270.I have had no problems at all and return approx 22mpg when fully loaded.It has loads of power and happily cruises at 60mph even when we hit the hills and its very stable.Agree with Rob dont get the manual gearbox.As for the Terrano/Land Rover i have friends who tow with them and they are all very happy with what they have.In the end it comes down to personal choice and what you are able to afford.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Great motor, great image, it will pull your van no doubt.

Don't do what my nieces hubby did with his though and that was to try to chain harrow the horse paddock.

It proved itself to be a soft roader by wrecking the auto transmission - no low ratio and definately not a farm tool; so stick to the blacktop only with the ocasional field thrown in - only with a van, not an agricultural impliment though.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Great motor, great image, it will pull your van no doubt.

Don't do what my nieces hubby did with his though and that was to try to chain harrow the horse paddock.

It proved itself to be a soft roader by wrecking the auto transmission - no low ratio and definately not a farm tool; so stick to the blacktop only with the ocasional field thrown in - only with a van, not an agricultural impliment though.
Hi David

The ML does have a low ratio setting,and you would be surprised how good it is in the rough stuff

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Stephen, we have just bought an ML270 [2004] which is now chipped producing [claimed] 200bhp and 480nm of torque, I have only done about 40 miles towing the caravan [1400kg] to the dealer for service but it pulls very well, we are going to Cornwall on Friday so I will then know what the fuel consumption is like.

The ML drives like a car unlike some 4x4s I have driven which are like driving a boat, the Terrano bieng Japanese will be well engineered but a bit agricultural compared to the ML, I wont comment on Landrover products as many others have already but all I will say is that I used to be a mechanic in a Landrover main dealer and I would never buy one.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
This is nothing personal spj but the end of your post made me smile. You can say what you want about Land Rovers as your knowledge is not of now and you don't own one it seems so what do you know ;)

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mikey,

I'd posted this reply on the Touring and Tenting forum.

Chipping the Mercedes 270 CDI engine:

There is some benefit to chipping this Diesel engine if you are looking for out-and-out bhp, but not such a benefit for towing when torque is all important.

The Brabus (approved Mercedes tuning company) chip increases bhp from 183 (or 177) to 220, and increases torque from 410 (or 400) to 440 NM torque. The plain text is the last phase of the 270 engine, in brackets is the previous model - but only if you have the automatic gearbox.

By increasing fuelling to the engine, 20% more bhp can be released - but only 10% more torque.

So as it comes out of the factory, it's pretty much sorted as regards torque - so unless you really feel you need it, don't do it - 410 NM of torque is a whole load of torque.

New:

It is apparent that outside of the "official" upgrades some companies will offer torque upgrades of almost an extra 100 NM - this is outside the (long term reliability) design limits of the Mercedes 5G Tronic automatic gearbox.

Robert

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

The ML does have a low ratio setting,and you would be surprised how good it is in the rough stuff
Your right of course - the older ones have but the latest model has not I believe - he probably couldn't find it being a townie really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts