metered or fixed price electricity

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 21, 2008
Visit site
The cost of electricity while on a caravan site has a lot to do with caravanning unless you want to go back to 1950's caravanning. Caravans today are capable of not using any gas as even the cooker comes with 1 electric ring just in case you run out of gas.

Perhaps those of you who *** off at the weekend for a couple of nights, don't notice the cost too much as it's less than a fiver, but add all those fivers up and over the summer you'll realise the true cost.

Caravan every day all year and you'll then realy notice the difference.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all
the fact of the matter is all sites overcharge for the use of electricity no matter how it is structured.
it is just something we have to put up with if we want to use it, even sites that don't charge for EHU dont give it to you free as it is combined in the pitch fee. steve's calculations a first seem quite fair @ £390ish a year for his seaonal pitch in comparison to paying £2 to £2.50 a day or £728/£910a year but this is for a 16amp supply some sites its only 10amp.
it is only when you compere it to a domestic tariff that you see the overcharging
I guess from our own usage of 14 to 20 units a day @8p for a 32amp domestic supply or roughly £35 a month/£420 a year "this may or may not be typical" puts it in perspective though at least at home I have the knowlege that no matter how many pieces of electrical equipment I plug in the meter won't trip out.
colin

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
I just had to reply to this discusion about the cost of E H U some of you say that some sites charge £ 2.00 to £2.50 per night so why does the forest holiday site at glenmore charge £ 4.00 per night summer and winter
allan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Allan,
For the definitive answe you need to ask the site, though they are not obliged to submit their costs breakdown to you so I don't hold out much hope of you getting much information from them - but I could be wrong

The answer that I think is the most likely is "because they can"

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
You are perfectly entitled to ask for a breakdown of the electric costs pertaining to your pitch. This would mean that they are obliged to show you how much they pay per unit as they cannot include the standing charge. If they refuse, you can then report them to Ofgem however in the meantime you will probably be looking for another site to pitch for the night. They know this so it is a Catch 22 situation. One place near Evesham wanted £5 per night for electric! Needless to say we laughed and left.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Uvongo,
That only applies if the site is reselling the electrical power by the unit. Where a site charges for the access to an electric hookup, but where they do not 'sell' the electricity you have no legal right to a costs breakdown.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts