Micro-caravans, I just don’t get it

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I’ve seen these featured a lot lately both in PC and CAMC mag. Most recently, looked at the Mink Highlander on the home page of this site.
No disrespect intended to anyone who owns but I don’t get why you would want one. Literally just room for a bed and the same cost as a full sized ‘van. It’s horses for courses I guess. Personally I’d prefer a tent to a ‘van that small. There were folks on another forum who seemed surprised that I wanted a caravan with a fixed bed. “But you’ll have no room to move about and a tiny washroom” someone exclaimed, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I suppose we all have our reasons for our choices. Micro vanning isn’t for me though.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I suppose it’s no different to a 2-man tent, but on wheels? I know some who have built copies of American tear-drop trailers that are just a double bed with a camping stove housed in the back, primarily used for weekend car shows. They manage okay with them and like the fact they’re light and easy to store. Not for me, I don’t like to venture out into the world until I’m showered etc so like all of my facilities inside the caravan!

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Like Gary says, I suppose they have their use if caravanning is just a way of having accommodation at another activity, especially if you've no reason for having a big car. I had a folding caravan for years when I was single and the caravan was just somewhere to stay when I was doing other things, but even then I don't think I'd have gone for something as small as a micro.

Now, many years and a couple of caravans later (and a couple of hip and back operations!), we changed to a fixed bed last year and definitely wouldn't go back to having to rebuild the living area every night!

As Prof says, we're all different and use our caravans for different things - and whatever we think, the fact that manufacturers are selling the small vans means someone must want them!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Every caravan owner will have their reasons for choosing the model they end up with. Whether you or I agree with their choice is not important, and we certainly have no right to ridicule. It's their right to choose, and to ultimately find out to what degree it was the right choice or not.

Also as Gozza suggests, as time goes by our needs and wants will almost certainly change, so what might have been a good choice once may become a no no later in life.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Every caravan owner will have their reasons for choosing the model they end up with. Whether you or I agree with their choice is not important, and we certainly have no right to ridicule. It's their right to choose, and to ultimately find out to what degree it was the right choice or not.

Also as Gozza suggests, as time goes by our needs and wants will almost certainly change, so what might have been a good choice once may become a no no later in life.
Once again John, you have read one of my posts, put 2 and 2 together and got 5. I am not ridiculing anybody. There is a big difference between being skeptical about something and ridiculing someone's choice.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree as why pay the same or more when you can get a decent size caravan with all the amenities. However if your car is limited on what it can tow it is understandable.
I guess that it is no different from buying a camper van, which to many people on the Forum would be far too restricted in space, storage and facilities. But lots of people do buy them and enjoy them at prices that would also get you a decent caravan and tow car. Vive la difference (y)

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I guess that it is no different from buying a camper van, which to many people on the Forum would be far too restricted in space, storage and facilities. But lots of people do buy them and enjoy them at prices that would also get you a decent caravan and tow car. Vive la difference (y)

I've never really got campervans either because of the lack of space. On my most recent trip there was a couple sleeping in the back of a caddy van! I thought "rather them than me", but they seemed happy enough. Fair play to them.

I bought a caravan because I was fed up with tents. What was the first thing I did? Buy a tent to attach to it!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I can kind of see the use case for these but I don't know how the cost of them can justified!
Yes , the cost per Square metre is very expensive compared to a run of the mill unit. But we earn our money and make our choice😉. Hence why we have so many different cars to choose and indeed the amazing number of house colour paints available. The Mink Highlander will be purchased and will become someone’s pride and joy .

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
One advantage of these micro vans is they can be towed by literally any car on the market.
Other than that I'm stumped! Certainly wouldn't want one and if I even suggested getting one SWMBO would have my guts for garters :cool:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A young(ish) couple pitched opposite us in St Ives for a week last year with a teardrop micro caravan.
They were definitely outdoor sporty types with expensive looking bicycles, the lycra kit to look the part, plus helmets, wrap around shades etc.
The rear of the teardrop formed a ramp when opened, and an awning attachment at the back formed a kitchen and seating area.
Not for us because we're too old, but possibly ideal for younger campers who want a warm comfortable sleeping area with an added element of tenting.
These micro caravans could be towed by EVs or smaller cars, they can be stored at home in the garage and if you're child free, reasonably fit and like the great outdoors, a micro caravan might be the way to go.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Some are very expensive, we looked round one called "Barefoot" a while ago, from memory it was nudging £30K for a cute, but very small caravan.

Driving from Edinburgh to Leicestershire yesterday I saw several caravans heading north and there were a lot of the small Swift Basecamp caravans.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some are very expensive, we looked round one called "Barefoot" a while ago, from memory it was nudging £30K for a cute, but very small caravan.

Driving from Edinburgh to Leicestershire yesterday I saw several caravans heading north and there were a lot of the small Swift Basecamp caravans.

Tab, Eriba, Knaus and Trigano also make quality “cool” smaller vans that move away from the very small micro caravans. What they have in common is quality, and hold resale value very well.

Reactions: GaryB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A young(ish) couple pitched opposite us in St Ives for a week last year with a teardrop micro caravan.
They were definitely outdoor sporty types with expensive looking bicycles, the lycra kit to look the part, plus helmets, wrap around shades etc.
The rear of the teardrop formed a ramp when opened, and an awning attachment at the back formed a kitchen and seating area.
Not for us because we're too old, but possibly ideal for younger campers who want a warm comfortable sleeping area with an added element of tenting.
These micro caravans could be towed by EVs or smaller cars, they can be stored at home in the garage and if you're child free, reasonably fit and like the great outdoors, a micro caravan might be the way to go.
Aha! I suspect the tear drop ŵas just a bit more than a dormitory 🤪🤪

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Certainly they are in the USA and AUSTRALIA not sure about UK.
You can tow a trailer with a motorbike in UK, but the weight restrictions are governed by "kerb weight" of the motorbike, and max trailer weight, whichever is the lower. So A lightweight camping trailer would be okay, but micro caravans are well above the limit.

OMG "kerb weight" discussion wrt motorbikes, please no noseweight diversions. :eek:

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
While staring out of the landing window just now (on a phone call, not stalking the neighbours) someone drove past the end of the road in a small Kia towing one of these:

Go-Pods - The Contemporary Light Touring Caravan

We're on a small estate with only one road in/out so it must be someone close by, I'll go for a walk at some point and see if I can find out who owns it, they're not for me but I'd love to see inside one!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You can tow a trailer with a motorbike in UK, but the weight restrictions are governed by "kerb weight" of the motorbike, and max trailer weight, whichever is the lower. So A lightweight camping trailer would be okay, but micro caravans are well above the limit.

OMG "kerb weight" discussion wrt motorbikes, please no noseweight diversions. :eek:
I towed a mate home from The Isle Of Mann, many years ago, about 200 miles , with my BSA A10, and at that time the tow rope was from the rear seat to the handlebars. Now we put the towrope around the footpeg and hang on. Normally the towed bike is a Triumph Bonneville.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts