Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Is it a myth, or are midges a problem in Scotland? Is the West coast worse than the East? I would like to spend a couple of weeks by Ben Nevis in the first half of September, and would welcome any advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's no myth. The west coast is swarming with midges in the summer months. They really are a serious annoyance and for the unprepared they can ruin your holiday. Many people recommend a dry oil spray. I think it's by Avon and we always keep some in the 'van, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it now. Personally, if I was going, I'd invest in a midge hat. You might look a little strange, but if the midges swarm I can promise, nobody will be laughing at you. Best wishes, Butler

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It's no myth Derek, believe me. And don't get confused between midges and mozzies. Mozzies are angels in comparison to Caledonius Midgium.

They say September is the time the numbers start to drop off but I suppose it could be to do with if there's been any frosts.

Stick to the east coast if you don't want to experience them but saying that they don't go for bad meat. I get covered in bites but Her Ladyship hasn't been bitten once. We've been three times, each time in June.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
"NO" Derek absolutly no myth, june, july, and august, is no time to be on the west coast if you are a tame englishman "like me" and the higher you go the worse they get after six it's batten down the hatches and light the insect candles as they are about half the size of the fly mesh on the windows, and can get in via the smallest opening.for 12 years we used to do the round trip and gave up after comming home everytime with a rash resembling measels and chicken pox combined.

the east coast is better but never having been there before the second week in sept I am no expert on this; been to Pitlochry, Braemar for the games and dornoch without a bite.

worsed sites for midges ever visited: "battlefield" in inveraray, Ardgartan on loch long, invergarry south of fort augustus, and ardmair point in ullapool.

"you have been warned"

colin

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We went to Scotland two years ago in July intending to have one week at Oban then one week at Rosemarkie. After just ONE night on the west coast we decided they would drive us mad so we cancelled the booking and went to the east cost. We were by the sea and had no problem with midges at all.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies folks. I think I will either put off the Scotland trip until next Spring or consider the East coast for this autumn.

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Midges should be on the decline by september and i was reading that because of the cold winter there should be less this year,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8542670.stm
vitamin b1 when taken for a week before you go will work a treat see hear http://www.highland-midge.co.uk/highland-midge-science.htm

its discreted through the sweat glands and midges dinnae like it..

Regards Rab
I took vit B1 for 6 weeks prior to a July visit to the West coast. The Midgies loved it! After 3 days the holiday was abandonned.

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
It's no myth Derek, believe me. And don't get confused between midges and mozzies. Mozzies are angels in comparison to Caledonius Midgium.

They say September is the time the numbers start to drop off but I suppose it could be to do with if there's been any frosts.

Stick to the east coast if you don't want to experience them but saying that they don't go for bad meat. I get covered in bites but Her Ladyship hasn't been bitten once. We've been three times, each time in June.
See the post above re Vit B1. Having said that I have managed holidays in June with only a few huge bites to show for it!

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site

Believe me, they can bite in places you didn't even know you had plces!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Tap 'midge repellant' into Google for assorted ideas. I have even seen details of a bottled gas powered version which is supposed to keep acres midge free though if this is the case you would expect site owners to invest in one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many - no, very many - years ago I used to tent wild camp all over Scotland. The trick of staying (more or less) midge free was to find the most exposed site rahter than the nice little patch of grass down by the glen. I forget the exact figure but the midge has a maximum flying speed of about 5 mph, so if you can ensure you have a wind flow steadily above this figure you should be midge free.

Perhaps someone will give a more accurate maximum flying speed ?

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Derek i live and work out of Inverness and also work the west coastof Scotland get yourself some Avon Skin so Soft spray rub it on should keep the little buggers away .they are not usually a problem until late on in the afternoon/evening when the wind drops just don,t stand still for to long you can also get some sticks to burn (like the smelly things you get from the garden centres ). Don,t let them put you off going up the west coast i am booked for Bunree middle of june so if it was that bad do you think i would be going (they won,t keep me away )

enjoy your time in Sunny Scotland

hope this helps Duggie

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
HI! Derek i live and work out of Inverness and also work the west coastof Scotland get yourself some Avon Skin so Soft spray rub it on should keep the little buggers away .they are not usually a problem until late on in the afternoon/evening when the wind drops just don,t stand still for to long you can also get some sticks to burn (like the smelly things you get from the garden centres ). Don,t let them put you off going up the west coast i am booked for Bunree middle of june so if it was that bad do you think i would be going (they won,t keep me away )

enjoy your time in Sunny Scotland

hope this helps Duggie
Just cancelled our visit to the Highlands in June including Bunree.We both attract midges and I get covered in bites. Love to sit outside and read a book. Also don't fancy steak and midges on the barbeque.Going to visit in April or late September.Pity as I was really looking forward to going to Bunree in June.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts