Midlands Wartime Weekend

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
For any military vehicle or living history enthusiasts in the Midlands the former WW2 Halfpenny Green airfield ( now Wolverhampton business airport) is holding their annual 'Halfpenny at War this coming weekend (19th-20th May).
There are several caravan sites not too far away and the closest is Farthingdales, part of the old WW2 accommodation site just oppsite the airport entrance in Crab Lane Bobbington, Nr W-ton. On-site camping is free for re-enactors.
There wil be military displays, a Battle of Britain Memorial Flight fly past weather permitting, vintage military and civilian vehicles, a trtaders village and vintage aircraft with 40s style musical entertainment throughout the day and a hangar dance in the evening (ticket only) with a big band so if you fancy a jitterbug get yourself along to Halfpeny Green...........
LOLAATHALFPENNY2011sepia3.jpg

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
For any one further north, we unwittingly had booked on our usual N Yorks moors site for a long weekend last year which happened to collide with the Pickering War Weekend. It was really good and they made good use of the railway and the stops along the way as well!! Worth a trip even if not overly interested as it was awfully good fun for everyone, especially passing through the check points at night when the guards were a little tipsy and struggling with barriers!

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Parksy. Went as a day visitor today and it was excellent. The RAF ops room demo was really good- the renactors really looked and sounded the part- should be parts. Very cold though so had to wrap up. I saw that West Mids DA were down the road- never put 2 and 2 togetrher otherwise I would have scrounged a cuppa. Do you meet there every year for this event? Just in case I can persuade the Midland centre of CC to rally there in 2 years time.
For WW2 buffs we were directed to parking by the Luftwaffe, lots of other millitary there, I saw a Belgian, French and hundreds, not literally Americans. Lots of civvies as well including Churchill, a Capt Mainwaring look a like (bank manager) and several spivs. The Hurricane flypast made the day. It's on on Sunday as well.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apologies Waffler, I've only just seen your reply
smiley-embarassed.gif

I wish that I'd known that you were going, we were staying in our caravan on Farthingdales, a small private caravan site directly opposite the entrance to the airfield which was once part of the RAF accommodation site. We'd have made you that cuppa if we'd met up, although there is a good cafe up the steps inside the WW2 control tower which overlooks the airfield.
We didn't see any of the West Mids ralliers at the wartime weekend, we booked the site with ehu because of the weather. I don't think that the West Mids knew about the event and I don't think they know that Farthingdales also has an really good rally field right opposite the airfield
smiley-embarassed.gif

West Mids da are holding their Arley Station War Weekend rally on 22nd-24th June at Button Oak, Bewdley DY12 3LD which is up the road from Arley station on the Severn Valley Railway where the SVR at war is taking place that weekend.
http://www.svr.co.uk/SpecialEvents.aspx
We might tootle along if it doesn't rain

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
Apologies Waffler, I've only just seen your reply
smiley-embarassed.gif

I wish that I'd known that you were going, we were staying in our caravan on Farthingdales, a small private caravan site directly opposite the entrance to the airfield which was once part of the RAF accommodation site. We'd have made you that cuppa if we'd met up, although there is a good cafe up the steps inside the WW2 control tower which overlooks the airfield.
We didn't see any of the West Mids ralliers at the wartime weekend, we booked the site with ehu because of the weather. I don't think that the West Mids knew about the event and I don't think they know that Farthingdales also has an really good rally field right opposite the airfield
smiley-embarassed.gif

West Mids da are holding their Arley Station War Weekend rally on 22nd-24th June at Button Oak, Bewdley DY12 3LD which is up the road from Arley station on the Severn Valley Railway where the SVR at war is taking place that weekend.
http://www.svr.co.uk/SpecialEvents.aspx
We might tootle along if it doesn't rain

Maybe next year we will be able to join you on that site on the war weekend? LOL!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's a nice site with clean toilets and showers (although limited in number), tarmac roads and metered ehu Surfer, let me know if you are going.
Northern Forties who hosted the Halfpenny Green War Weekend and Hangar Dance plan to host another one at this venue next year.
If big band swing, military re-enactment / living history and nostalgic 1940s social events floats your boat there are lots of them where anyone can go in and around the Midlands, as there are around the rest of the UK.
The next one which is not far from your neck of the woods Surfer is this coming weekend 16th-17th June at the Avoncroft Museum at Bromsgrove Worcs. A BBMF flypast is scheduled as well as the usual wartime period costumes, soldiers, land girls, entertainment and home front demonstrations (it say here
smiley-smile.gif
)

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
It's a nice site with clean toilets and showers (although limited in number), tarmac roads and metered ehu Surfer, let me know if you are going.
Northern Forties who hosted the Halfpenny Green War Weekend and Hangar Dance plan to host another one at this venue next year.
If big band swing, military re-enactment / living history and nostalgic 1940s social events floats your boat there are lots of them where anyone can go in and around the Midlands, as there are around the rest of the UK.
The next one which is not far from your neck of the woods Surfer is this coming weekend 16th-17th June at the Avoncroft Museum at Bromsgrove Worcs. A BBMF flypast is scheduled as well as the usual wartime period costumes, soldiers, land girls, entertainment and home front demonstrations (it say here
smiley-smile.gif
)

Actually I do enjoy these types of show and so does Margaret so a bonus. We are down at Brean so Aveoncroft is not possible. We prefer to go to oen big show as opposed to several smaller ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts