Milenco large security handrail

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I have recently purchased a caravan with one of these hand rails fitted.

When we viewed the van prior to purchasing it I thought that it was a very worthwhile addition particularly from a security point of view as it can be locked across the door.

However when it was installed it was fitted in such a way that it cannot be placed across the door and locked because the catch that holds the door open prevents it from folding back fully across the door.

I want it to work as it should. I could take it off completely and fit it effectively upside down but this would mean the locks would be on the top of the mounting brackets which would allow water to get into them which is far from ideal.

It looks however as though the rail arm itself fits over a smaller diameter tube that is part of the mounting bracket and is held in place I think by a rivet. If so the rivet could be drilled out and the rail arm can be fitted upside down and re-riveted.

Does anyone have one of these fitted who can confirm that this would work in which case i can sort it out.

I appreciate that it may look a little odd with the rail in the wrong position but at least it will work as intended. Perhaps I could put a sticker on it saying that I know it's upside down in order to avoid the inevitable questions!!!!

It seems that whoever fitted it did not follow the old adage of measuring twice and cutting/drilling once! If it had been fitted a few centimetres higher or lower it would have worked perfectly as a hand rail and lock.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Current pictures of the same thing appear to show key entry slots at the top of the end blocks but having some sort of cover disc. Any chance yours may have been mounted upside down ?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we brought our caravan it came with a hand rail we just lift the lever and it goes straight across we use it all the time when we go out it like extra security .

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
As you can see from the photo it's the right way up. The locks are on the underside of the brackets. It's fine as a handrail but it won't fold back flat against the door as extra security because of the catch you can see above the lock. I could take it off including the brackets and put it back "upside down" but if I could take the handle off leaving the brackets in place that might be easier.
Milenco handle.JPG

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts