Milenco Towing Mirrors

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have recently upgraded my towing Mirrors from a set of regular or small Milenco Aero (2nd generation I think?) with flat glass to the Milenco Grand Aero with convex glass. The difference for me has been night and day.

With the Aero I could rarely get the passenger side mirror into a decent position even with a 2nd person adjusting. With the Driver side position ok, the viewing angle and vibration made them frustrating to use and hard to see other vehicles.

The larger Grand Aero seems to have cured all my issues with the smaller mirrors. They are not totally vibration free. the increased mass seems to pick up my 5-cyl diesel engine's vibration at idle and induces a 'wobble'; whereas the others did not move. However, at 60mph they are much more stable and offer a much better view down the side of the caravan. I can even set them into position myself with no need to adjust the moment I pull away!

Paul.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
It's a pity that you changed 2 variables at the same time (larger size; and flat-to-convex) .... so it is difficult to know which made the bigger improvement.
I have the Flat Aero2's and do find that adjusting the passenger-side mirror requires numerous attempts to get it right ....especially abroad where it is the 'critical' mirror. I do wish I had bought the larger Grand Aeros. However once set up mine work fine and remain very stable (Mondeo). (I don't like convex, but that is a very personal choice).

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Milenco Aero 3's i think are the ones that we have and have had them for about 5 years now, great mirrors and secure enough. I put them on and are set in position from previous trip.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We had the Aeros on the last car and they were good but did vibrate a bit. When we changed the car they would not clamp securely to the new cars mirrors and we have had to change to smaller strap on ones which are not giving the same view but do not vibrate. The Aeros did vibrate on the new car until one fell off so I do think it is either the design or the larger mirror size.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I try and get the two clamps as far apart as they will go that way the vibrations are greatly reduced.
20180511_193910.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I find the Aeros good but not easy to adjust. The NS seems the most difficult and when my good lady gets in after aligning the mirror it then seems too low. Must check the cars nearside springs are still okay:)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
VicMallows said:
It's a pity that you changed 2 variables at the same time (larger size; and flat-to-convex) .... so it is difficult to know which made the bigger improvement.
I have the Flat Aero2's and do find that adjusting the passenger-side mirror requires numerous attempts to get it right ....especially abroad where it is the 'critical' mirror. I do wish I had bought the larger Grand Aeros. However once set up mine work fine and remain very stable (Mondeo). (I don't like convex, but that is a very personal choice).

Glass shape aside, they behave much better on my car in terms of vibration. I preferred to mount the Aero mirrors pointy bit down with my old van (it was narrower) this aped the Grand Aero shape, but I had to mount them parallel with the Sprite to get a better view.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
I find the Aeros good but not easy to adjust. The OS seems the most difficult and when my good lady gets in after aligning the mirror it then seems too low. Must check the cars nearside springs are still okay:)
p

It was a running joke that the mirror on the passenger side would not be right even after much adjustment from the wife!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
I find the Aeros good but not easy to adjust. The OS seems the most difficult and when my good lady gets in after aligning the mirror it then seems too low. Must check the cars nearside springs are still okay:)
p

It was a running joke that the mirror on the passenger side would not be right even after much adjustment from the wife!

Apologies but I should have typed NS, not offside. I guess that I can spot kerbside dangers to my mover and tyres!

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
The problem I find with these mirrors is when it's raining. With the rain and road spray the mirror is almost impossible to use, it just mists up. The glass surround needs to protrude out from the glass, so the glass is effectively sunk into the casing, that way all the water will run off without getting on the glass. Compare it with the car door mirror which is still clear.

Other than that I find them excellent (grand aero)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
MikeyW said:
The problem I find with these mirrors is when it's raining. With the rain and road spray the mirror is almost impossible to use, it just mists up. The glass surround needs to protrude out from the glass, so the glass is effectively sunk into the casing, that way all the water will run off without getting on the glass. Compare it with the car door mirror which is still clear.

I've noticed the same thing, the mirrors need wiping at rest stops. I find my door mirrors also collect water/mist but they are heated so can be cleared.

I purchased the Gtechniq G5 glass and perspex water repellant treatment for the caravan windows, after successful use of the G1 windscreen treatment. I have proactively applied this to my new Grand Aeros, but can't report on the efficacy as of yet.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
MikeyW said:

Never had that problem with any car or make of mirror and I have towed with quite a few of both. It must be something to do with the airflow around your car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
MikeyW said:

Never had that problem with any car or make of mirror and I have towed with quite a few of both. It must be something to do with the airflow around your car.

The Aero mirrors attracted rain and road muck on my previous SJ Forester and on the current Superb too, so it can’t be that car-specific. But they are quite stable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
...Never had that problem with any car or make of mirror and I have towed with quite a few of both. It must be something to do with the airflow around your car.

The Aero mirrors attracted rain and road muck on my previous SJ Forester and on the current Superb too, so it can’t be that car-specific. But they are quite stable.[/quote]

Oh yes it can be vehicle specific.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
otherclive said:
...Never had that problem with any car or make of mirror and I have towed with quite a few of both. It must be something to do with the airflow around your car.

The Aero mirrors attracted rain and road muck on my previous SJ Forester and on the current Superb too, so it can’t be that car-specific. But they are quite stable.

Oh yes it can be vehicle specific.[/quote]r

Prof
You missed the word "that" in my post.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've used grand aero mirrors on 3 different cars and they all did the same in the rain. If it's car specific then I'm not having much luck.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got to put my hand out and clean my mirror's too so it's not just you . It all depends on the gap you've got between your door and the gap for the draught and spray to hit them , when I am at work and it's raining I will have my hand out to clean my mirrors on the bus every 20 minutes or so because of the spray!!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I found after watching HGV drivers fitting a small Bit of cord, that can "flap " onto the mirror. Works.

Cut a two inch wide strip of rag rather than cord about 12 inches long and simply knot it around the mirror arm. Old beer towels are ideal. I doubt very much its vehicle specific, more to do with physics and displacement of air blowing the spray back. Every truck and every towcar I have ever driven has suffered with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts