Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
In December we are collecting our new (to us) caravan.
Its a 2013 Bailey Olympus 530-4.
I dont like the Alko lock which came with our previous van(problems lining up with receiver,and last straw was when I couldnt get it off the wheel due to the splines not lining up to insert the key) .
Ive been doing some research and really like the look of the Milenco Wraith.
I understand that I will have to remove one of the caravan wheel nuts and then fit the supplied wheel nut to the wheel.
Does anyone here use the Milenco and your thoughts please.
Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s certainly easier to apply than the Alko and removes any need to jack on site. Very similar to the Nemesis lock too. Probably not quite as secure as the Alko but heck if thieves really want your van they will either take it or damage it in trying. I use a lightweight Milenco when on site together with an Alko Secure hitchlock and use the Alko wheel and hitch locks at home.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking on web I see Milenco make two similar looking wheel locks. The Wraith and the Ace. The Wraith is slightly more expensive but meets Sold Secure Gold standard. The Ace on Milenco and other websites is stated as “non Sold Secure”. But if you look at the Ace on Milenco website at the beginning it says “ non Sold Secure”. But at the bottom of the Ace description it shows the Sold Secure Gold Standard logo. Must be same marketing team who manage the “calibrated” nose wheel gauge.

Anyway why would any one buy the non sold secure option when fir around £20 more you can get the full Gold Standard one?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes,I noticed that as well.
As you said,for an extra £20,its a no brainer.
I do have a torque wrench but I understand the lock may need washers/spacers,are these included?

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
As you have to replace one of the wheel nuts (bolts?) would this not upset the balance of the wheel when rotating? I think it is unusual to balance a wheel on a caravan although they should always be balanced.
Cliff

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I always balance the wheels on our caravan, The replacment of a bolt so close to the centre of the wheel "probably" would not effect the balance that much.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clifford_374377114 said:
As you have to replace one of the wheel nuts (bolts?) would this not upset the balance of the wheel when rotating? I think it is unusual to balance a wheel on a caravan although they should always be balanced.
Cliff

I’ve always had caravan wheels balanced even from my early days of the hobby. Why wouldn’t you as it reduces dynamic vibrations into what is quite a “flimsy” structure and contents. Be interested to know if Nemesis or Wraith advise rebalancing after fitting the new wheel bolt.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
Clifford_374377114 said:
Cliff

I’ve always had caravan wheels balanced even from my early days of the hobby. Why wouldn’t you as it reduces dynamic vibrations into what is quite a “flimsy” structure and contents. Be interested to know if Nemesis or Wraith advise rebalancing after fitting the new wheel bolt.

OC, it would be very hard to rebalance the wheel for a bolt change on the hub. I haven't seen a wheel balanced on a hub .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use the Nemisis version of the same idea. Very similar in practice and the removal of the old wheel nut and replacement with the supplied one caused no problems. Very easy to fit once you get the knack and it has the Sold Secure approval. It does also give an insurance discount for us.
The wraith does have sold secure approval if you check the Sold Secure website.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
Clifford_374377114 said:
Cliff

OC, it would be very hard to rebalance the wheel for a bolt change on the hub. I haven't seen a wheel balanced on a hub .

Hutch
Oops senior moment :)
Almost Woosie qualifying status !!!

Good job it’s near the wheel center then.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
Yes,I noticed that as well.
As you said,for an extra £20,its a no brainer.
I do have a torque wrench but I understand the lock may need washers/spacers,are these included?

No washers or spacers. The locking barrel screws in and out to the depth required to lock onto the wheel bolt. Once set there is an allen key grub screw to lock the barrel in position, allen key supplied.

The barrel was to fat to fit into the wheel bolt recess on our 'van so after contacting Milenco and returning the barrel to them they replaced it with a smaller diameter barrel free apart from the postage to send it to them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts