Minehead area

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

Am visiting Minehead, Somerset for a few nights over half term and am planning to visit places such a Lynton and Porlock. Are there any places in this area that are a must see and also any places of interest that are worth a visit ???

Many Thanks

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian if you are a steam train enthusiast there is the West Somerset Light Railway which runs from Minehead almost to Taunton and also the Chedder Gorge and caves. You could also have a day pass into Butlins in Minehead if the weather is not up to scratch.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Ian,

A few miles from Minehead is the lovely old town of Dunster.

It has an ancient market square and lots of interesting old buildings. Standing above the town is Dunster Castle, its a bit of a climb but really well worth visiting.

Also agree with Colin about the railway-it is a full sized ex BR steam line and at times has had some famous locos visit it.

Just inland from Minehead are the Quantock Hills, with a few very quaint villages- Stogumber and Williton spring to mind.

You are also very near to Exmoor and on a nice day that is great, with the ponies and deer roaming around.

Thinking of that lot is making me fancy another trip down there myself!!

Oh and if the mood takes you, there are tea rooms dotted around the villages that do Cream Teas to die for!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian,

A few miles from Minehead is the lovely old town of Dunster.

It has an ancient market square and lots of interesting old buildings. Standing above the town is Dunster Castle, its a bit of a climb but really well worth visiting.

Also agree with Colin about the railway-it is a full sized ex BR steam line and at times has had some famous locos visit it.

Just inland from Minehead are the Quantock Hills, with a few very quaint villages- Stogumber and Williton spring to mind.

You are also very near to Exmoor and on a nice day that is great, with the ponies and deer roaming around.

Thinking of that lot is making me fancy another trip down there myself!!

Oh and if the mood takes you, there are tea rooms dotted around the villages that do Cream Teas to die for!
The railway is ex GWR steam - God's wonderful railway.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
If you take the road through Lynton to the west (definitely NO van on the back), you will come to a toll road that never seems to be manned or have collection boxes, this leads you through some national trust areas including a beautiful valley and there is a feature called Valley of the Rocks which is really nice (good spot for a picnic).

You can then follow the toll road via some breathtaking views up onto Exmoor.

We go to this general area quite a lot and this is my favourite.

There is a bit about this and the surrounding area on here

http://www.devon-online.com/towns/lyntonandlynmouth/Welcome.html

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies they are very much appreciated. Visited this area about 10 years ago and considering we only live in Swansea it is quite shameful that we havnt returned since now. Can vaguely remember a nasty road to Lynton so thanks for the warning.

All the things suggested sound great and now just got my fingers crossed that the weather will be ok.

Thanks Again

Ian

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The hill I think they mentioned is Porlock Hill, just west of Porlock. While going up it the car in front tried to go up in too high a gear, it's that steep that by the time they had changed down they had come to a stop. Just round the corner was an articulated lorry which had failed to make it, he was reversing back down the hill :O(

I wonder if anyone has towed a caravan up it?

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
LB

From memory there now is a sign saying no caravans or trailers for Porlock Hill.

There are a lot more roads in this area that you would not want to take the caravan through - Watchet being one.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mine struggled up Telegraph Hill, just south of Exeter on the A38 :O(

I told Her Ladyship to get out and walk alongside and lighten the load. That's when I nearly lost control as she slapped me :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. I have always had trouble going up Telegraph Hill. every car I have owned has almost boiled over whilst towing a caravan up there. Last year I even had trouble with the Daihatsu Fourtrack towing the Bailey Ranger. I always have the car serviced ready for the towing season but it makes no difference. I now go along the Plymouth road and turn off for either Newton Abbot or Totness - the hill is not quite so bad.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It's weird, I've been all over, up to John O Groats, around Snowdonia and down to Penzance but Telegraph Hill was the worse by far. Thank God it's dual carriageway :O)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Ditto Telegraph Hill as one of the hardest, I think it is just because it is so long. I tend to go into it at about 60 in 3rd and then change down quite early, we can slow to 35mph on the slowest bit - but I think that is quite good with a combined weight of over 3.5 tonnes.

Porlock Hill is very steep with very tight turns so would be very punishing on a clutch.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Another one that I find bad is Whitland hill just outside of St Clears, heading towards Haverfordwest. We have a Challenger 500 towed with a Zafira 2.0 dti and the temperature nearly reaches red especially on hot days. I am going to be very careful getting to Minehead as it seems like some of the roads are awful.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Ian

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi LB, was thinking of exiting M5 on 23 in Bridgwater and following the main road through nether stowey then loop around to Williton and then upto Minehead, would you recommend this route or should I stay on the M5 for a little longer. and go off at 24. Your help is much appreciated on this as i'm not one of the best route planners.

Many Thanks

Ian

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Ian

Our outfit is 41ft long and we have had no problems towing the route you mention and I do not think there is a reasonable or better alternative.

If you come off the 1st Bridgwater exit you go along a dual carriageway on the A38 - at the end of this is a roundabout with signs indicating to go into town for Minehead, it is better to turn right here and go through the trading estates (Wyllds Rd and Western Way) until you pick up the signs for Minehead again - easier and much less traffic particularly at peak holiday times.

Have a look on googlemaps to check this out.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
That's the way I went Ian. It's not narrow but winding in places. I'm one of those who prefer to pull in if I have traffic behind to let them pass and on this route there aren't many places to pull in. If possible I prefer to take routes where I can let others pass because I'm concious of others and we get a bad enough press as it is. Unfortunately this road doesn't give one much option and it's the most direct route.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi LB, we always pull over every 15-20 mintues because we realise how frustrating it is when stuck behind a tractor. A couple of weeks ago we were towing back from Haverfordwest and just before we reached St Clears a black car pulled out and overtook us on a blind bend, unfortunately a car came the other way causing him to pull in immediately, I slammed the brakes and he just squeezed in but was it really necessary for him to risk his (and possibly his families) lives. I had only been 15 minutes on the road before I pulled in to let traffic pass. We were all very shocked and shaken by this event. He didnt just risk his life but he also risked others.

I dont like speeding when towing but I certainly dont go as slow as some lorries or such so why risk his life by overtaking on a blind bend ??

Ian

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Exactly Ian, total madness and you can guarantee if anything did happen he/she would try to blame you.

On ordinary roads and if it's safe to do so I normally drive at 50 and find I rarely need to pull in to let others pass. It's more often I'm stuck up behind another slower moving vehicle but even then, depending on the circumstances, I will still pull in if I have cars behind so as to give them chance to overtake the slower moving vehicle, they have more ooomph than me.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi LB, yes I agree 100% with you, if anything had happened no doubt they would have blamed us, However for about 20 minutes of the journey we were stuck behind a Nissan Micra and his top speed was about 25mph, he eventually turned off and then we pulled over into the next lay-by to let everyone pass. And to our suprise we had some really filthy looks off people. I think at least 1/2 of those people thought that it was us doing about 25mph which is rediculous. A few months ago when we towed upto the Cotswolds everytime we pulled over we would have horns beep and people giving us a wave and thumbs up, this was great and these people must have thought how reasonable caravanners were.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There was an age old thought that it was not the first vehicle that caused the queue but the second vehicle for not overtaking the first when they had the oppertunity. Fair enough it might not hold good today and also it is far more difficult with a car/caravan outfit or a HGV/bus to pass the slow moving lead vehicle.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
There was an age old thought that it was not the first vehicle that caused the queue but the second vehicle for not overtaking the first when they had the oppertunity. Fair enough it might not hold good today and also it is far more difficult with a car/caravan outfit or a HGV/bus to pass the slow moving lead vehicle.
Thats why I posted that if I'm behind a slower vehicle than myself I will sometimes still pull in. The cars behind me have more oooomph.

Jun 25, 2006
Visit site
I always think that if you are following a slowish vehicle, and you don't want to overtake for any reason (perhaps you are turning off soon, carrying a heavy load, or towing), then you should keep well back, so as to allow the cars behind you to overtake you, and have the space in front of you to pull in there if needs be? This is not a substitute for pulling into a layby, but, unless you know the road, you never know when you might find one, so "keeping back" is a good policy.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
In fairness Chris you have to stay a decent way behind in order to see a pull in and if it is suitable lengthwise and free of potholes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts