Moan about Garages and VAT

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
A few days ago our car entered the christmas spirit by putting on a light display on the instrument cluster. Furthermore it was very relaxed since we couldn't get more than 20mph out of it. A fact not appriecated by the other drivers crossing the Kessick Bridge behind me.

Cutting a long story short we got it taken to a local Nissan Dealer instead of taking it home to our local independent garage. We knew the dealer from warranty work and also new they were not cheap. The on hold music is 'Concerto for Cash Register in the key of £ notes'

Having found the problem they called and gave us the price which was bad enough but didn't require a mortgage. Of course we'd forgetten the rule that anything a garage tells you doesn't include VAT. So I had a bit of a moan when we collected it about lack of clarity on prices. But of course they have the advantage of hanging onto the keys in their sticky mits until we'd used our flexible friend.

So, why is it that public facing companies like garages our allowed to quote the public prices sans VAT.

Not just garages but builders merchants. If we buy stuff from Wickes or B&Q the prices shown include VAT. If we go to our local builders merchant they don't.

Annoyed in the Highlands.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Normally, (but not legislated), is that companies dealing directly with the public include VAT. While those dealing with other companies don’t.
Main stealers should in my opinion, include the VAT. But at the very least they should be transparent and honest with their pricing.

I do hate main dealers with a vengeance.

John

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use a main dealer and are very impressed with them. We have had three cars from them and they have serviced all of them and they have so far only found one fault we were not aware of which was rusty brakes. We got a video and the offending items so it was genuine so all dealers are not bad.
Having said that our daughter has had terrible service from one dealer, with them failing to fully fill up the engine oil, to returning one car with the steering set so it turned right in the straight ahead position. They will not be going back after the last one. They always apologise and give her a seriously cut price offer on the next service.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The Nissan Dealer I used this time is one we've used before but mostly for warranty or mot stuff. The work is always good but their prices are very high - probably like most main dealers compared with independents.

What's equally concerning is that not only did they fix my problem but they did a health check and came up with an advisory that wasn't picked up on the recent mot. Not only that they didn't pick up on the advisories that the mot found. Sounds like a fishing trip to me.

When we first got the car a number of years back I took it to a Nissan Dealer for its first service under extended warranty and was told the turbo needed replacement at over £2500. They sent the video evidence showing a slight oil leak. When I said that's ok its under warranty the story changed and I was told it wasn't that bad.

I had no intention of getting them to fix it but took it to the same local Nissan Dealer we used this time, who checked it and the video and said it was a split pipe and would be done under warranty. Cost less than £100

As they say 'mileage may vary'

I prefer to avoid main dealers but had no choice this time around.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have been caught out many times by agreeing to a quote only to find VAT is added at the end and by that time it is too late! Annoying when you could have gone elsewhere and had the same job done for less and with VAT included.
Although I try to remember to ask about VAT sometimes I forget because I am a private individual who is not excluded form VAT and the company knows I am a private individual so I expect that VAT will be included in the price or quote.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Subaru and Kia dealership have always quoted me inclusive of VAT for service and any additional work.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its all down to what VAT is - Value Added Tax, and the tax its self is not part of the commercial value of the goods or service.

I do agree that traders should ensure their estimates and quotes show the Net price and Gross price or the value of the VAT to make it clear it has to be paid by retail customers.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I learnt many many years ago to always include VAT on our quotes to Joe Public, got fed up with saying "the quote clearly states VAT to be added at current (UK) rate"
Life is so much easier and the customer always knows where they stand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts