Mobile Home

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do any of you live in a mobile home? Reason we are asking is that hopefully when we retire in ten years time, know that away off yet, but are thay better build to day than they were 30 year ago, we like to live near the coast or derbyshire where the air is cleaner, because of my asthmas, Hope you can help, Thanks Trevor

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I presume by Mobile Home you mean a static caravan.

We don't live in one, but have used them for holidays quite often in the winter, when you can often pick up a week or two at a really cheap price.

The modern ones are surprisingly spacious, and easily kept warm even in really cold weather.

Some still only come with a 4 foot bed, which is a bit tight for the long term (is that why they are called a Scottish double).

I would worry about the quality of the shower cubicles and bathroom for the long term.

But the main problem would be finding a site where you are allowed to be residential. They do exist, but are not all that common - and don't forget that you have no security of tenure; look at the site contracts, which can be quite horrendous.

On the other hand, if you have your own land and can get planning permission, it should work pretty well. In that case, look at "Park Homes" which are basically like a bungalow delivered to site in 2 sections and bolted together. They have excellent facilities.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Trevor,

We own a static caravan and although we don't live in it we do use it a lot and we could live in it quite comfortably.

I think they have definitely updated a lot over the past years, we had a 1999 Atlas which was nice but I couldn't imagine it being warm or comfy enough to live in.

We now have a new Cosalt which has full size beds, large shower, en-suite, full size oven, washing machine, central heating the same as the house and double glazing.

We spend a few weekends in the winter in the static and have never felt cold, it warms up quicker than the house.

If you are uncertain you could always rent one for a week in January to see what it is like.

I'm sure by the time you come to live in one they would be more updated than they are now. !! Our friends static has Windows in the roof like velux's and a bath !!

Hope this helps

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you both of you for your reply, But will look in to it later in life, Have hear that park owner will only take you on if you upgrade the van every ten years, May go for a 2 bedroom bungalow near the sea, where we hope to keep the van on the property, we just wait and see, Thanks Trevor

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Trevor,

I can appreciate the appeal of a holiday in a mobile home, but I do wonder if you have fully understood the ramifications of long term permanent dwelling.

Mobile home sites are not covered by the rent act, and thus the rental charges are basically at the whim of the site owner. The sites can make additional charges for other facilities such as grounds maintenance, extraordinary repairs, and necessary work to comply with new safety regulations, even annual gas and electrical systems checks... and so on.

In some cases the contract specifies that all gas used on the site must be purchased from the site owner.

You have already mentioned that the site you are considering requires you to replace the mobile with a new one at least every ten years. That is a considerable expense, and you must not forget that you will almost certainly be expected to sell the old one, and the site owner may charge to remove the old unit, and charge for the installation of the new one as well.

The majority of mobiles are not designed for all year round occupation, and the insulation may not be enough for winter conditions. This puts up your fuel bills

All in all, a mobile is not as cheaper option as you might think. I believe you should very carefully re-evaluate your needs and wishes and probably look for bricks and mortar. Perhaps rent or buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts