Mobile woes

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have just been web chatting with my network supplier. I won’t mention their name. The history is, I took out a 2 year contract for an iPhone 7 Plus to include unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 20gb plus an entertainment package meaning NOW tv for the duration. My contract finishes in a couple of days on the 15th. I could have carried on the NOW tv for £9:99 but I said no and cancelled that option.

Today I went to cancel. I wish to use another provider as I find it important to be on a different one to my wife. Cancelling is not so easy, first you can’t do it on your account, they direct you to a phone chat but there is a 2.5 hour wait, so that directs you to a web chat, but there is not a route for cancelation.

To summarise, I spoke to 4 different people. They all told me I had to provide 30 days notice so I will be charged for a further month. I challenged this on two grounds.

1st my contract termination date is just that, so why do I need to give any notice.

2nd. Why do they want to charge me my full monthly charge when the phone is paid for and the entertainment package is cancelled. I refused to pay for two elements which were not now relevant. I insisted that was unethical and possibly illegal.

I may be wrong on the 1st count, as there are two contracts, one for the phone and one for the service. I told them I accept they might need 30 days notice for the service. But not at the full rate and that I should only be charged for a sim only package.

I gave up on the web talk as I was hungry. I insisted on a transcript to take to the ombudsman.

Later, I looked online. Seems I might be right. The provider has failed on certain things regarding the ECN. End of Contract Notification.

They have done none of the procedure they are supposed to do. Uswitch recon the networks are duping people out of £1 billion per year.

If I am web chatting for another 3 hours tomorrow then so be it. It’s just wrong.

What are the opinion of others?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Theres absolutely no excuse for such long delays to contact either by phone or web chat. The companies use call centres here or abroad and Covid working from home is just an extension of their systems and there’s been 18 months to develop them. I can’t comment about the cancellation period but it doesn’t seem right if you are out of contract to require 30 days notice. What do the T&Cs say? Ive always bought my phones direct and have been with EE since they were 121. I’ve been out of contract now for five years with my sim only phone but still get charged the same rate as when the contract expired albeit increased for inflation. Its only £6 pm for unlimited texts, 500 minutes calls and 18 gb data of which 10 go can be used for roaming abroad in EU. Although that’s probably gone or going to disappear post Brexit. My wife’s on the same deal too.

I should say my data allowance is quite good as it’s the result of a number if complaints going in my favour so call it “ compensation for service drop off”. But overall I’m content with what we have and EEs service.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Theres absolutely no excuse for such long delays to contact either by phone or web chat. The companies use call centres here or abroad and Covid working from home is just an extension of their systems and there’s been 18 months to develop them. I can’t comment about the cancellation period but it doesn’t seem right if you are out of contract to require 30 days notice. What do the T&Cs say? Ive always bought my phones direct and have been with EE since they were 121. I’ve been out of contract now for five years with my sim only phone but still get charged the same rate as when the contract expired albeit increased for inflation. Its only £6 pm for unlimited texts, 500 minutes calls and 18 gb data of which 10 go can be used for roaming abroad in EU. Although that’s probably gone or going to disappear post Brexit. My wife’s on the same deal too.

I should say my data allowance is quite good as it’s the result of a number if complaints going in my favour so call it “ compensation for service drop off”. But overall I’m content with what we have and EEs service.
We also like EE in the caravan and very happy with there service but at home are mobiles is with 02 but ours is PAYG .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have just been web chatting with my network supplier. I won’t mention their name. The history is, I took out a 2 year contract for an iPhone 7 Plus to include unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 20gb plus an entertainment package meaning NOW tv for the duration. My contract finishes in a couple of days on the 15th. I could have carried on the NOW tv for £9:99 but I said no and cancelled that option.

Today I went to cancel. I wish to use another provider as I find it important to be on a different one to my wife. Cancelling is not so easy, first you can’t do it on your account, they direct you to a phone chat but there is a 2.5 hour wait, so that directs you to a web chat, but there is not a route for cancelation.

To summarise, I spoke to 4 different people. They all told me I had to provide 30 days notice so I will be charged for a further month. I challenged this on two grounds.

1st my contract termination date is just that, so why do I need to give any notice.

2nd. Why do they want to charge me my full monthly charge when the phone is paid for and the entertainment package is cancelled. I refused to pay for two elements which were not now relevant. I insisted that was unethical and possibly illegal.

I may be wrong on the 1st count, as there are two contracts, one for the phone and one for the service. I told them I accept they might need 30 days notice for the service. But not at the full rate and that I should only be charged for a sim only package.

I gave up on the web talk as I was hungry. I insisted on a transcript to take to the ombudsman.

Later, I looked online. Seems I might be right. The provider has failed on certain things regarding the ECN. End of Contract Notification.

They have done none of the procedure they are supposed to do. Uswitch recon the networks are duping people out of £1 billion per year.

If I am web chatting for another 3 hours tomorrow then so be it. It’s just wrong.

What are the opinion of others?

John
i hope something good comes out web chatting today and it in your favour good luck :)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I have had no problems with the service provided by this network. Just their underhand methods of not only trying to retain my business but to retain it at a continuing cost which includes goods and services not now provided.

According to Uswitch, the practice is endemic. Too many people blindly allow their contract to continue beyond the termination date. However, in your case, I think you have a great deal

My sons family all have iPhone 12’s on contract. But on negotiating his Virgin TV and broadband. He was offered a totally unlimited SIM card as a sweetener. They could not use it, so my wife now has that. That might be on Vodafone or O2. Depending on Virgins own on going negotiations. Because of this, I would like to go with three or EE to make sure we are both on different networks. I just need to escape the grip my current provider think the have on my bank account.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have had no problems with the service provided by this network. Just their underhand methods of not only trying to retain my business but to retain it at a continuing cost which includes goods and services not now provided.

According to Uswitch, the practice is endemic. Too many people blindly allow their contract to continue beyond the termination date. However, in your case, I think you have a great deal

My sons family all have iPhone 12’s on contract. But on negotiating his Virgin TV and broadband. He was offered a totally unlimited SIM card as a sweetener. They could not use it, so my wife now has that. That might be on Vodafone or O2. Depending on Virgins own on going negotiations. Because of this, I would like to go with three or EE to make sure we are both on different networks. I just need to escape the grip my current provider think the have on my bank account.

John
On more than one occasion I have cancelled the DD at end of contract and at same time notifying the supplier. Then when final bill arrives and if I am happy with it, I pay the balance. Got fed up with trying to get refunds for DDs that you never have happened.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sorted, I hope. I ended up web chatting with 7 people. Not one would answer why the company had not followed the ECN rules. 6 of them insisted I had to do a 30 day notice period. And that I would be charged at the same rate that included the handset and NOW tv. I stopped the DD. Told them that was both unethical and illegal.

They are so fixated in trying to get people to stay with them, they are unable or unwilling to guide someone through their termination process. I informed them that the cost of spending hours on web chat is zero for me. But can never be cost effective for them. Needless to say, my subsequent reviews were zero.

The last person tells me that they need 30 days to upgrade or cancel a current contract. As my contract finishes tomorrow, I simply need to call them to terminate. I will be billed for anything outstanding, which is fair enough, but that should be zero.

Why the other 6 people did not grasp this is sad.

So now looking for a SIM only deal with Three or EE. I have gone to Smarty. It’s with Three, 30gb unlimited calls and texts, roaming including data, but limited to 20gb. And just a 1 month contract. That’s £10. I am very happy with that. Also, their web site is super simple and easy.

(If anyone fancies going with them, message me, I get a free month 😁)

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not quite a mobile issue, but cancellation of CC. Tried to cancel my Barclaycard that I have not used for about 2 years. It was impossible as going around in circles.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its a bit different with a credit card as they wont know whether you have made any transactions that arent yet showing.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorted, I hope. I ended up web chatting with 7 people. Not one would answer why the company had not followed the ECN rules. 6 of them insisted I had to do a 30 day notice period. And that I would be charged at the same rate that included the handset and NOW tv. I stopped the DD. Told them that was both unethical and illegal.

They are so fixated in trying to get people to stay with them, they are unable or unwilling to guide someone through their termination process. I informed them that the cost of spending hours on web chat is zero for me. But can never be cost effective for them. Needless to say, my subsequent reviews were zero.

The last person tells me that they need 30 days to upgrade or cancel a current contract. As my contract finishes tomorrow, I simply need to call them to terminate. I will be billed for anything outstanding, which is fair enough, but that should be zero.

Why the other 6 people did not grasp this is sad.

So now looking for a SIM only deal with Three or EE. I have gone to Smarty. It’s with Three, 30gb unlimited calls and texts, roaming including data, but limited to 20gb. And just a 1 month contract. That’s £10. I am very happy with that. Also, their web site is super simple and easy.

(If anyone fancies going with them, message me, I get a free month 😁)

John
At least it sorted you can look forward to your new one month contract and it sounds very reasonable well done ;)

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts