Mondeo problems

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi all
I have a 2004 ford mondeo 2.0 tdci 130 bhp over the last few days I have noticed that when you go over sixty the car seems to pull back as if the turbo mabye isn't kicking in properly. Does any one else who has or has had one of these cars have any idea what it might be before I put it into the garage. Apart from that the car runs fine we were thinking of going away for the weekend in the van not too far just 30 miles but I am not too sure wheter to risk it until the car is fixed.
Many Thanks!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Francis,
Unless a forum member has a crystal ball it unlikley anyone will be able to pinpoint the problem.
However I would expect the Turbo to be working well before 60mph, so its unlikley to be damaged.
There could be several differnt reason for the symptom you describe, which might include:-

Partially blocked fuel filter
Sticky EGR valve
Engine managmant computer detecting some out of parameter sensor (though this woudl normally bring on a dashboard warning
Fuel pump problem

Your most reliable method will be to get it checked by your garage.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Francis.
Good suggestions from Prof.John,but I would say if you decide to change the EGR valve.......have it tested first to see if that is actually the problem.
I have the Honda CRV and was having problems with my vehicle(Still am)
smiley-frown.gif
,but decided to change the EGR valve as I was sure this was the problem.
Result?......£600 lighter and it didnt cure the problem
Adrian

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I must admit , since having the 3rd service, which included a air filter and fuel filter change the cars power is noticeable.
Or it could be the car likes zero temperatures, dense cool air perhaps?
At any rate the car wasn't having a problem to start with, so unless the parts are due for replacement i wouldn't bother.
Just get it hooked up and all the sensor parameters checked out to ensure there healthy, ie with in tolerance.
Is the fault apparent in 5th and sixth gear, or just 6th.

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Well I have been using the car today and noticed that there is now a sort of whooshing noise when accelerating at any speed eg between 20 and 30mph so I am going to get it into the garage hopefully at the weekend to see if they can sort it out.
Thanks for all the advice much appreciated!!

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
That now sounds like there is a leakage of air after turbo.Check all hoses between turbo and inlet manifold, possibly clip loose letting a hose come off.Or split in a hose.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Could be the Diesel Particulate Filter. If the car is used on a number of short runs the gunk isn't burnt off the filet. Dealers suggest that you go for a short blast on a motorway keeping the revs high to clear the problem, i.e. keeping it in 4th instead of changing to 5th. . Apparently this raises the temperature on theDP filter and burns off the gunk. It is recommended that you do this every month.

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi all
Got the car booked in to the local garage for the tail end of next week. They are going to give it a full service and hook it up to their computer and check all sensors and hoses etc. I will update this thread when I get the car back and let you know what the problem was.

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
As has been already stated you would be well advised to replace the air filter ,modern diesels need a unrestricted air flow to the engine if not all kinds of faults will show up ,for the sake of a few £ s it could save you a lot of agro, any restiction in the air filter will NOT show on a diagnostic ,but will show false readings because the filter has no code of its own . I had to find out the expensive way.

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi, the problem you have is well known on this engine. It will be the turbo pipe on the outlet of the turbo, the wooshing is the clue.. The pipe runs at the front of the engine between the engine and the radiator. Both myself and my brother have had 130 tdci's and both had split turbo pipes at around 50k. A very simple job to replace and I did them both.The part is around 50 to 60 quid, dealer only part! Just google mondeo turbo pipe and you'll get a wealth of info. The split slowly develops over time until it gets to a certain size then you notice the loss in boost pressure and the wooshing noise - mondys arent exactly the quietest of engines so it creeps up on you!
Dave.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Surfer said:
Could be the Diesel Particulate Filter. If the car is used on a number of short runs the gunk isn't burnt off the filet. Dealers suggest that you go for a short blast on a motorway keeping the revs high to clear the problem, i.e. keeping it in 4th instead of changing to 5th. . Apparently this raises the temperature on theDP filter and burns off the gunk. It is recommended that you do this every month.
there is really no need to drive a diesel car down the motorway in a lower gear than top,to generate the heat needed,infact driving in a gear one lower than top,might actually produce less heat,as diesels tend to have extrodinary high top gears.and of course you would also be producing more co and nox,too. becides that no 03 plate mondeo would have a dpf fitted anyway they started using them on mondeo's in 06 but even then it was optional.mine being a 06 and not having a dpf.....

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all
i have a 130 bhp mondeo and it blows black smoke when i put my foot down.mondeos are known for this,to cut down the smoke i use diesel injector cleaner (plenty of brands out there to pick from) and i dont use supermarket fuel because ive been told that they dont use addatives,to keep the cost down
also have a look at talkford.com its a really usefull website for all ford owners and has quite a few threads about smoking mondeos as well as general info about any fords

hgv dave

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi All
I got the car into the garage today and it turned out it was the pipe that goes into the turbo that had split as had been suggested on the forum. THey have gave the car a full service and a new set of tyres and the job to fix the pipe wasn't too expensive so overall I am very please Thanks to all who offerd advice on this post much appreciated.
Many Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts