Mondeo ST tow bar

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody tell me if there are any problems fitting a Towbar to a Mondeo ST Diesel, my son is thinking of getting one but has heard that it is a no go because of insurance, I cant think of any reason why but hopefully somebody out there has a bit more info.
Thanks for any help in this issue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

It is the car manufacturer that determines if a car can tow, not the insurance companies. Each model of car has to be type approved, and if it can tow, it will have appropriate towing limits set out in its specification. However there are many different models of Mondeo and each will have its towing ability specified, But, some models in a range may not be rated to tow anything, in which case there will be no values for unbraked or braked trailers.

Where this does happen, its usually the more sporty versions that are restricted, So perhaps the Mondeo ST is an example of this.

Check with a reputable tow bar fitter or supplier..

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The early Mondeo ST weren't Type Approved for towing - some, but not all of the later ones were.
Check the VIN plate - if there's no Gross Train Weight (GTW) or it's the same as the Maximum Allowed Mass (MAM) then it can't be used for towing.

If it it one of the Mondeo ST's permitted to tow, it'll need an ST towbar, not an ordinary Mondeo one - partly because of the revised exhaust run but also the lowered suspension.

Feb 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi I towed with my MK3 2.2 Mondeo St tdci 2006 model with no problem the car was fitted with a witter towbar. The only Mondeo ST which is a ST 220 Mondeo which is not recommended. Even the Ford handbook states that all Mondeo ST states that Mondeo ST is not recommended for towing this was a printing error it was it should of said Mondeo ST 220 is not suitable for towing. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts