Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday at work I was verbally attacked by a senior member of staff. He said "Listen, I am the senior, you are the monkey and as such you do the monkey's jobs and you do what I say". Now, this senior happens to be black. Had I said exactly the same to him my guess is I would have been sacked on the spot. He has forbidden me to discuss what was said "inside the four walls". No witnesses unfortunately, I walked out leaving my office paraphenalia behind, have had a migraine and been awake all night. Do you think that calling a white person a monkey has different connatations to a black person? Do you think the same rules apply?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd definately say he's bullying you and that language is inappropriate whether its aimed at a black person or white person.

I can't comment about what would have happened if you'd said it to him, you're probably right in your assumption.

What I will say is, tread very carefully around this arrogant bully. Keep a diary of any other things which he says to you (dates and times), try not to be on your own with him if possible. Has anyone else commented to you about his manner at all?

Also, where you work you should have policies and procedures up to scratch about bullying and harrasment in the workplace. Read up on it.

Just my take on it.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I suppose it comes down to the manner it was said in Valerie. He was referring himself to being the organ grinder I suppose and had no bearing on your looks unless he threw a packet of nuts at you.

I have an Indian friend and many moons ago he was saying that he was racially abused when at school but not since joining the army in his adult life. I told him it was his own fault for tying his elephant to the school railings and he took it as a joke as it was intended. Not too sure if I could get away with that today though if I said it within earshot of some of New Labours pc liberalists ... heh! heh! heh!

G

Surely if the rules are not applied in the same way that is racism!

I can't see how he can ban you from speaking out.

You should go over his head and make a complaint about his behaviour if it distressed you.

You could get him on your office and question him about what he said. But make sure you record the conversation on a mobile phone or some other recording device.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There are procedures in place where you work to deal with instances of bullying by senior staff. Advice has been offered but a caravan forum is not the most appropriate place to seek the sort of advice you need.

As far as the 'same rules' being applied is concerned there are very many forums where a wide spectrum of opinion can be sought and aired.

This is a caravan related forum and as such does not have the necessary resources to allow a discussion or a debate of the kind you are attempting to provoke.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was in a discussion with a spinal consultant this week. He is South African and said:

'I have to remember, in this country, when you hear the sound of hooves, look for a horse, not a Zebra'.

Lisa

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
oh dear, genuinely sorry parksy, Im not trying to provoke any sort of rascist or inflamatory debate, just general views as I'm extremely hurt. Perhaps better delete the thread then. Hopefully one day soon I will do something right.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Valerie

This is a caravan forum? Rather than loosing sleep, start sticking up for yourself, bullies come in all colours and sexes.

i had numerous arguments while at work, often managers would attempt to bully and threaten, but i told them were to go!

You must stand up to a bully, even if its against your nature, if you don't, they never leave you alone.

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hi valerie,judging by your last reply,where you said "you'll do something right one day" seems to me that this man has made you lose your confidence. If you're the same Valerie that has given a lot of other people some good advice on this forum , you can stand up to this man , but its not up to us to give you advice. all the best . Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts