More crass stupidity .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So , paid for by HMG, Gigaclear are digging up every footpath and some gardens in my small Town laying optic fibre cables to increase our internet speed. The price will be heavy compared to what we already have. However as HMG are scrapping new ICEs from 2030 why didn’t they get the Gigaclear guys to lay cables to charge all the millions of E cars we will enjoy 🙀🙀🙀🤔🤔😉😉. In five years time they will dig it all up again and damage the newly laid cable as they do👏🤪👏

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
City fibre have just completed our estate. In the past we have had the footpaths dug up lots of times, in fact, the footpaths are difficult to walk on now, possibly dangerous for the less able.

As we already have the option of Virgin, which I am on, it seems odd to me that they didn’t start in an area which is not already serviced.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should try driving anywhere in Gloucestershire, been riddled with roadworks for months, most seem to be the fibre broadband provision, they all seem to need a set of traffic lights,A48 in particular has a set then down the road another set, then down the road another set, I seem to remember there is a rule about how far apart they need to be, I am sure they place them so they are legal, but very frustrating.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You should try driving anywhere in Gloucestershire, been riddled with roadworks for months, most seem to be the fibre broadband provision, they all seem to need a set of traffic lights,A48 in particular has a set then down the road another set, then down the road another set, I seem to remember there is a rule about how far apart they need to be, I am sure they place them so they are legal, but very frustrating.

Thats where I am, in fact, there is no way off our estate without lights, all 3 way or 4 way. My neighbour, also retired, complained how stressful it is. I told him to chill! I just sit and wait, a few minutes is neither here nor there.

If I was on a busy schedule that might be different.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
An Australian friend of ours came over in summer 2018 and commented the “ Britain seems to comprise one comprehensive diversion” as there were so many signs he didn’t really know when one ended or another began. Going along the A4 in Corsham towards Bath some of the signs were in Welsh. He couldn’t recall crossing the Severn Bridge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We try to deliver to customers in Gloucestershire on Friday, start in say Yate, then Dursley, Stroud, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Gloucester again then Forest by way of Ross, 30 years ago we could do more deliveries and finish earlier than we do now. Say each set of temporary traffic lights holds us for 3 minutes, with 20 plus hold ups that's an hour lost,Brockworth is particularly bad been going on for months,centre of Cheltenham just finished after at least 2 months oh and its always worse when I want to get home to hitch the van up for a weekend away.Also don't get me started on the road closures.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
"We try to deliver to customers in Gloucestershire on Friday, start in say Yate, then Dursley, Stroud, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Gloucester"

Plus your heading the right way against the holiday traffic😊

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes try to finish in Lydney, then down to the Chepstow queue, back over the old bridge, assuming it's open and head for Junction 18 M4, most Fridays at this time of year M4 West is solid until 18 from the Almondsbury interchange. Just for a change got held for 2 hours on M5 South yesterday due to lorry fire on Northbound carriageway, what joy!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
An Australian friend of ours came over in summer 2018 and commented the “ Britain seems to comprise one comprehensive diversion” as there were so many signs he didn’t really know when one ended or another began. Going along the A4 in Corsham towards Bath some of the signs were in Welsh. He couldn’t recall crossing the Severn Bridge.

An Aussie friend stayed with us a few years ago, from here he went to Rome to pick up a cruise to Singapore. He drove his hire car to Gatwick. I made sure he knew to go from the M4 to the M25. I phoned him at Gatwick when he told me he knew he had gone wrong when he crossed the Thames and saw the Houses of Parliament, I said he will be charged for going through the congestion zone. He said they would have to catch him. I knew he would be charged via the hire car company plus a fine, so I paid it for him. I know they would do it for us after the hospitality we had when we went there.

John

Reactions: RogerL

TRENDING THREADS