More newbies!

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Hello All,

Me and Mrs originally fancied a motorhome as Mrs didn’t fancy a caravan so I took her to our local dealer so we could look inside a few ( neither of us had set foot inside a tourer before). At the same time my friends van which was towed by the dealer to a site so he could visit his daughter regularly has come up for sale as he is moving permanently. The van is a Sterling Eccles Ruby 2010 90th anniversary model. It’s coming with a Kampa airpro awning, and everything else he bought for it and now won’t use. Shower has never been used in fact he never towed it at all. Is there anything on this model I should look for as we are driving down to see it tomorrow. I’m going to have a good look at the tyres as it’s been sat on them for 2 years and I’ll need to tow it back to Manchester at some point. I have a 2012 Mondeo Diesel Estate and the weight capacity seems fine.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello Keith
Check the tyres for cracking, especially between the tread.
Ask to see the service history to see how often the caravan has been serviced and if damp tests have been carried out.
Check along interior joints, behind curtains, inside lockers and cupboards for signs of damp such as mildew, soft wall boards etc.
Factor in the cost of a service, 200+ if you buy the caravan.
Check the CRiS number of the caravan against the documents

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Hello Keith
Check the tyres for cracking, especially between the tread.
Ask to see the service history to see how often the caravan has been serviced and if damp tests have been carried out.
Check along interior joints, behind curtains, inside lockers and cupboards for signs of damp such as mildew, soft wall boards etc.
Factor in the cost of a service, 200+ if you buy the caravan.
Check the CRiS number of the caravan against the documents
Thank you, he tells me it was serviced when it was purchased but as it as remained on the static site since it will need one when we eventually go back for it. He tells me at that time it had a “Habitat” report or service with a quoted damp reading. I’m an ex mechanic so I’ll give it a good look underneath etc

Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, he tells me it was serviced when it was purchased but as it as remained on the static site since it will need one when we eventually go back for it. He tells me at that time it had a “Habitat” report or service with a quoted damp reading. I’m an ex mechanic so I’ll give it a good look underneath etc
The likeliest areas for damp are inside along the joint where the awning attaches to the rail, and the front and back panel roof joints.
Check for spongy floors, a sign of floor delamination and which is d-i-y fixable.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum we also tow with a mondeo estate diesel as Parksy says give the tyres a good check and if possible find out if they are still original ones, if they are and even if they look good I personally would change them before towing any real distance

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Been down to have a look at the caravan today, looks like it’s been well looked after.Got inside all the cupboards at the seams, not a trace of any ingress or damp, All the interior is sound and clean, floor seems solid. Had a crawl underneath, nothing obvious but what I will need to check is if the brakes are stuck on. No way of knowing until I try to roll it.It’s got an ALCO tow hitch which I gather I need to ensure the tow ball is compatible? Tyres are Hankook and apart from being stood look new. I was looking for a date stamp on the sidewall but can’t seen anything resembling a date. It has a solar panel on the roof which he’s never used so will have to check that out. Agreed to buy it anyway! Thanks for the replies!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Date stamp should look like this, the first two digits are week made and 2nd two digits the year
date stamp.jpg

So 14 is the week and 15 being the year

Tow ball should be an Alko one with longer neck
Tow balls.jpg

The one on left is the alko one, but make sure you clean it like the one on the right.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Suspect that if they are Hankook they are OEM as Swift fitted them at that time. If it’s been static there was no incentive for the owner to change them. Or if they were changed a static would do okay on cheap budget tyres.

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
luckily I photographed the wheel and tyre which shows the date stamp on the tyre as 0510 which tells me they are original. Oddly look brand new. If I do change them it will have to be when I bring it back from Weston s Mare to Manchester. No other option really

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Suspect that if they are Hankook they are OEM as Swift fitted them at that time. If it’s been static there was no incentive for the owner to change them. Or if they were changed a static would do okay on cheap budget tyres.
They are indeed original and will need changing, going to change them at the static site before we tow it back, can’t be too careful.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are indeed original and will need changing, going to change them at the static site before we tow it back, can’t be too careful.
Do not drive on those tyres. My first van had tyres which to me looked great. Had a blowout at 60 mph. It was only afterwards that someone told me the risks of caravan tyres. When one goes the other can go quite quickly afterwards due to the load transfer during the blowout. Try getting a mobile fitter to change them before you take it away.

Reactions: Keith B
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would try to arrange with a mobile fitting service to meet you at the site and change the tyres as they are simply too old to be used safely. Black circles may have one in the area, they have one here and he was very good when I used him.

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
I would try to arrange with a mobile fitting service to meet you at the site and change the tyres as they are simply too old to be used safely. Black circles may have one in the area, they have one here and he was very good when I used him.
Thank you, definitely going to change them

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If there is a spare don't forget to replace that too, even if it has spent 10 years unused in the carrier. Also ask the fitter to balance the wheels prior to fitting - it will be included in the price anyway, but you might find that the originals were not balanced. The best advice is to replace after 5 years whether used or not even if the appearance is 'as new'. I had mine replaced on the drive by a mobile fitter which was competitively priced with a really clean and tidy fitting van and a quick and efficient service - you order the tyres and book a time slot for convenience meeting the fitter on site.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You will need a Number plate done for your caravan it must display the same number plate registration as the vehicle you are towing with

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts