More Rip Off Britain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
See article in the Daily Mail yesterday regarding the surcharge in holiday prices for the coming Spring Bank Holiday. The figures are as printed in the paper:

7 nights half board at 4* Palm Beach Hotel Benidorm

Term time per person - £226

Spring Bank Holiday per person - £364

% increase = 68%

7 nights half board at 4* Montechorg Hotel Algarve

Term time per person - £356

Spring Bank Holiday per person - £638

% increase = 79%

4 nights at Pontins Brean Sands

Term time per person - £104

Spring Bank Holiday per person - £239

% increase = 130%

The costs quoted for a 4 night mid week break at Center Parks in Sherwood Forest is not a true reflection as the accommodation is increased from a 2 bed apartment to a 4 bed apartment. The price quoted is:

Term time per person (2 bed accomm.) - £479

Spring Bank Holiday per person (4 bed accomm.) - £799

% increase 62%

It is a case of supply and demand and the holiday companies know they can get away with the extortonate mark up because some one will be willing to pay. To take a child out of school for term time holidays could render the parent a fine of £50. Apart from the child's disruption in their education surely it is financially better off to pay the fine and still save a few hundred pounds.

RIP OFF YET AGAIN

G

Of course one could take this a stage further and indicate that no other country in Europe pays the same prices for the same holidays. Why? because the Companies know the Brits are so stupid they will pay it.

Mind you anyone who wishes to spend money on a UK holiday does really need their head examined. far better just to set fire to the banknotes and at least keep warm. When the average hotel room in the UK is 40% more expensive than in Europe you have to ask, who are the mugs?

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I should be cautious about complaining about this.

Imagine what would happen if a law was passed that holiday locations had to charge the same rate all year round.

Firstly, it would be almost impossible to get a booking at peak periods, as there would no longer be any incentive for those free to go at any time to steer clear of the peaks.

Secondly, in order to cover their costs, with nobody wanting to book off-peak, the rate selected to charge for all year would not be the cheap rate, but the most expensive!

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
I should be cautious about complaining about this.

Imagine what would happen if a law was passed that holiday locations had to charge the same rate all year round.

Firstly, it would be almost impossible to get a booking at peak periods, as there would no longer be any incentive for those free to go at any time to steer clear of the peaks.

Secondly, in order to cover their costs, with nobody wanting to book off-peak, the rate selected to charge for all year would not be the cheap rate, but the most expensive!
Dont give them ideas.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Val

Thanks for the suggestion, the Web site for Whitehill and pics make the site look very good, I know the South Hams well.

The prices on the web site display the usual Bank holiday trait of jumping from

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've stayed at Brighouse Bay (Scotland), Newlands in Dorset, Rivendale in Derbyshire, and The Quiet Site at Ullswater.

Camping Cheques was formed by a consortium of campsite owners, to promote 'low season' camping and caravanning. However, each site sets its own 'low season' dates and some, like Whitehill, accept them during Bank Holidays (Easter and Spring Bank Holiday anyway). Camping Cheques are very popular in Europe, and can offer some huge savings on normal site prices. We save 23 euros on one site we visit regularly.

Have a look at the www.campingcheques.co.uk - 'Our Campsites' section of the website - select the map of Britain and then click on each dot. You'll get a brief page of information, plus a link to the site's own website. This way you can check out the price you'd normally pay and compare it to the cost of a Camping Cheque.

In Europe it's not normal to book sites - you can just turn up, knowing it's low season, and find a pitch. However, in England we always book - just state that 'We'll be paying with Camping Cheques' and this makes it clear that we're not paying normal prices. You don't get the inferior pitches, either - we had a fantastic pitch at Newlands, all the pitches at Rivendale are fine, and we've been there several times, and we were just asked to choose a pitch at Brighouse Bay and Ullswater.

You may have to pay an 'add-on' for your fifteen year old, as he/she will be classed as an extra adult, but a small amount in comparison to the quoted Bank Holiday rate. Sorry to say, though, they don't accept dogs - though some of the British sites do.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Val

Again, thanks for the info.

When I access www.campingcheques.co.uk I get a page for ordering cheques, but no information or links to look at 'our campsites'. I've event tried starting teh order process but with no luck.

Please do you have a differet URL / web address I could try containing the list of camp sites involved in the scheme?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, my typing error. Should be www.campingcheque.co.uk - and on the left side near the top of the page under the Welcome banner, there's a link to 'Our campsites'. This gives you a map of Europe - select Britain and look at the sites - each blob links to the site information page, and at the bottom of the information page gives the dates the site accepts Camping Cheques, and any special offers or restrictions. There aren't that many sites in Britain, compared to the 375 in France (which is where we use them, mainly).

If you do buy some, and then don't use them this year, you can 'carry them forward' for 2009.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Lutz and Val, found and bookmarked.

Polmanter near St Ives is a site I've wanted to go back to but I've beeen priced out and Wooda Farm near Bude is a place I've wanted to visit based on reputation, so I may well look into this option.

Too late for this weekend though, never mind.

Just watching the BBC forcast for the weekend, looks like decision is on hold while that Atlantic low decides whether it's heading for Ireland or accross southern England.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts