Mossy Repellant

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Richard

When and where are you going?
On the Avon internet buy a supply of "Skin so soft"
I t may work for you but not everyone. In reality you either get it really bad or not at all. The worst places between June and september are down the Argyll peninsula, parts of Loch Sween, Oban area, and anywhere near still or running water. Log onto http://blog.midgeforecast.co.uk/index.php/2009/06/news-release-scottish-midge-forecast-launches-on-stv/
Don't let the devils worrry you too much. They are fickle when the they come out.

AKA

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Im new to forum,but both a parasitlogist and in the highlands of mossy land and totally agree AVONSs skin so softy orginal oil based body spray is the best around they cant stand it, and in clinical tests was actually proven to be a much better deterant than the named "formulas" so save money and gets this, i recently bought my summer bumper pack via amazon,i even use it on our dog.oh another thing i do is lightly mist all the caravan fly screens whilst open,any flies midges on them they just dropped and died.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Thermacell mossy products are pretty good, i have used them for the last couple of years both caravanning and fishing with good results.
They work by heating a inpregnated pad.No smell and they create a cloud,lasts about 12 hrs refills can be expensive but seems lots of competetion on Ebay

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Michael E said:
Duplicate post ! seem to happen alot these days after you enter the word verification
I'll as the tech guys to sort out the word verification Michael, you shouldn't have to fill that in all of the time

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Richard12 said:
As we are off to Scotland shortly can anyone advise me on a reliable product to keep the little blighters at bay.

Regards

Richard
dont believe scotland has a mossy problem.Midges on the otherhand does seem to be something to look out for.
Have herd of a product by Avon that seems to have some followers,with regards Midges.But no good for mossy's

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry if this is a double post, I don't get the new system

I'm sitting in my van right now by a sea loch side with midges buzzing around me. Caravan mossy nets are too course to stop them completely. We have tried everything over the years and have most of them in the car. I find Jungle formula 40% Deet the best but the Avon product is suppose to be ok, we have two bottles in the car.
A friend who is a local, uses Mosquito milk, we bought some from Boots.
Don’t do as I did, I bought a product which was 95% Deet. Sitting on the car boot lip putting my boots on I found that the stuff on my legs was melting the bumper!

We have been coming to the highlands for donkey’s years, and remember midges don’t like wind and rain, and you get a lot of it up here.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
ChrisUK said:
A friend who is a local, uses Mosquito milk, we bought some from Boots.
Milking mosquitos eh? That must take some skill and patience not to mention incredibly small figers.
smiley-smile.gif

mel

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
lollie said:
and totally agree AVONSs skin so softy orginal oil based body spray is the best around they cant stand it

My wife was an Avon rep at the time but I'm afraid it didn't stop me being bitten.
They say that people who like Marmite don't get bitten but how true it is I don't know. My wife eats Marmite and although I get bitten on my bites because there's nowhere else left to bite she never gets one.
Tough if you don't like Marmite but if not may I suggest you spread it over exposed skin and hang off the awning support rail making a noise like flypaper.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
On our second week out at Strid Wood, Bolton Abbey all was fine until the Friday when the midges came out in their thousands. The same on our third week at Delamere Forest but worse of all was this week at the Forest site at Beddgelert. It was thick with them. So much that with them and the miserable weather we came home two days early and was glad to see the back of the God forsaken place. There's only one consolation and that is the bites don't itch for as long as those of Caledonius Midgium but even so they are driving me daft (if that's possible).
I've got bites on my bonce, ears, corner of eye, arms and hands, including fingers and I've even got a bite on my 1%
smiley-embarassed.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
ChrisUK said:
Don’t do as I did, I bought a product which was 95% Deet. Sitting on the car boot lip putting my boots on I found that the stuff on my legs was melting the bumper!
Don't get it anywhere near your caravan vanity basin, either - it will melt that! We had to replace our basin when I spilled some Mozzy repellant on it - and it made marks like cigarette burn holes, not quite through the plastic, but very unsightly!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts