MOT Inconsistencies

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My car passed its MOT yesterday but it seems they always need to make a few advisory comments - probably to show they've actually done something. When I looked at the previous years MOT there were advisories on there that I hadn't got done. These were not mention again on this years MOT.

Reactions: JezzerB

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Our VW dealer advised us we needed new front brake pads and discs soon because they were pitted. That was when the car was first MOT'd last year. It was shown as advisory. This year we took it to our local independent MOT garage and asked them to specifically check the pads and discs, and they advised the pads are now 50% worn and the discs are fine. We are taking it back there again next year to see if the pads are only 25% worn. ;)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I used to have my Fiesta runabout serviced at a main dealers at the same time as they did the MOT test.
The last time I went there the car didn't pass and I had a list of failures including the old 'coil springs corroded', but the one that ensured that I stopped using them was the 'screen washer bottle requires filling ' comment.
They were supposed to have serviced the car!
When I queried it the receptionist said that the MOT test was carried out before the service.
I felt that the MOT fail was meant to drum up more business so I no longer use that dealership.
Next MOT test done the day after, elsewhere- pass with no advisories.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It seems to be "normal" practice to carry out the MoT before doing the service - totally counter-intuitive in my view.

When my newish cars are being serviced at main dealers to maintain the warranty/goodwill I always have the MoT done at trusted independent before the service as any faults on a newish car probably qualify for warranty attention - it also means I get an independent view of the car's condition.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Before wee moved home we used a local independent for the cars, and we had used them since 1986. They looked after customers old runabouts to Porsche and Ferrari. They always MoT'd the car first and then carried out the service afterwards, but any MoT issues were sorted within the service or as an extra if not included in that service schedule. Never once did we get the impression that they were looking to boost the finances, rather the opposite. There were occasional times when I felt something was required and they advised not required, or just too expensive for the cars value.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
20 plus years ago I was always weary of garages using MOT’s to boost business. I no longer have those concerns, I think that they are well monitored and that garages are careful not to loose their licence.
However, there will always be inconsistencies due to the human element.

I had a failure about 7 years ago on lights when testing the 13 pin plug. I was able to show that the socket worked fine, but the fault lay with their equipment. But that equipment was certified. Googling showed that some testing equipment gave the wrong results. The garage accepted this, but still could not pass it as they were forced to follow the equipment results. But they did have the answer. I fitted a 13 to 7 pin adapter. They can only test what is presented to them. In 7 pin mode it passed no problem.

That fault with some testing equipment was corrected that year.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a servcie contract for the jeep which cost us about £1200 for the 3 years. Supposedly the Jeep has the MOT done before the service so they can repair any issues found. MOT is done by an third party not related to the delaership. Strangely enough last year when i dropped off the Jeep there was an error message showing however it went through the MOT no issue. This is normally a fail.
On collection no error message but a week later same error message came back. After a bit of arguing and pointing out that there would be a record of any software changes they agreed to do a repair as a AWD low ratio motor was failing.
Further investigation showed that instead of doing a full service costing about £700 they had only done an interim service which is basically only an oil change. Issue raised with them and they agreed to do the correct service.
Next year Jeep will go to an independent!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our VW dealer advised us we needed new front brake pads and discs soon because they were pitted. That was when the car was first MOT'd last year. It was shown as advisory. This year we took it to our local independent MOT garage and asked them to specifically check the pads and discs, and they advised the pads are now 50% worn and the discs are fine. We are taking it back there again next year to see if the pads are only 25% worn. ;)
Ern what was your mileage at your first MOT then i will know when my car will need brake pads and disc Thanks ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ern what was your mileage at your first MOT then i will know when my car will need brake pads and disc Thanks ;)
Beachball its not really anything to do with mileage its all about how and where the car is driven. A hard/fast driver in a hilly area with a loaded car may well get through their pads and discs a lot more rapidly than a gentle driver who isn't so hard on the brakes. Thats why regular checks are required.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Brake pad wear varies enormously from driver to driver - partly due to variations in traffic conditions but also in driving style - it's not difficult to find drivers who get 60,000+ miles from a set of brakes while others with identical cars get less than 20,000.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mot is usually done before the service, the fails are recorded and then fixed during service and a free re test. This is mainly done to show (on gov paperwork) that most cars are running around with at least one failure (however small-bulb etc) this is because if we serviced every car and then mot the mot would show no defects even though it probably had some. The powers that be are trying to make an mot every 2 yrs( due to them passing every year-see where I’m going) is that what everyone wants? I don’t.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mot is usually done before the service, the fails are recorded and then fixed during service and a free re test. This is mainly done to show (on gov paperwork) that most cars are running around with at least one failure (however small-bulb etc) this is because if we serviced every car and then mot the mot would show no defects even though it probably had some. The powers that be are trying to make an mot every 2 yrs( due to them passing every year-see where I’m going) is that what everyone wants? I don’t.

I have never supported a two yearly MOT as it’s the only proper safety and emissions checks many vehicles are subjected to. Otherwise it puts too much responsibility on those who we know don’t accept it. If you can’t afford less than £50 pa get a bicycle instead.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Beachball its not really anything to do with mileage its all about how and where the car is driven. A hard/fast driver in a hilly area with a loaded car may well get through their pads and discs a lot more rapidly than a gentle driver who isn't so hard on the brakes. Thats why regular checks are required.
Well my car is three years old and it had it first MOT and passed and no advisory checks needed so i must be a gentle driver so very happy with the outcome

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Well my car is three years old and it had it first MOT and passed and no advisory checks needed so i must be a gentle driver so very happy with the outcome
Doesn't mean you're a gentle driver - my car is over 5 years old and passed all three MoTs without any advisories - I'm not a gentle driver by any means!

Frankly, any car maintained to main dealer standards should get to 5 years without any advisories - we'll see in a couple of months whether mine has any advisories at 6 years

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My daughters car had advisories on all four Dunlop tyres. They are only two years old with plenty of tread. The advisory was because of cracks appearing on on the shoulders of all four tyres. I checked it out and sure enough there are quite a lot of fine cracks. Nothing like them on our two cars tyres. The tester said that he had started to see a number if such findings and not all on Dunlop. He hypothesised that could it be due to the tyre dressings used by local hand car washes.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Not so much whether or not you're a gentle driver but mileage and most certainly road conditions play an important role.

Here in the Highlands the roads are badly maintained. Poor road surfaces, pot holes, cattle grids, bendy windy roads with hills, some of which are single track. All this puts stress on brakes, steering mechanisms and suspension. The weather doesn't help either.

It was said to me that if you want to buy a used car get one from the south. I did this only to find that the car I wanted was first registered in Glasgow. Not the same as the Highlands since money on any infrastructure project I.e roads will be spent there first. We only get the lose change.

Mind you I wouldn't be anywhere else in the UK 😁

Reactions: Jcloughie and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The other thing that will affect disks and brakes is too little use and having corrosion set up on the disks, which will eventually lead to pad wear that is not proportional to mileage or driving style. We had a Citroen BX which had very front biased braking and wasn’t normally loaded at the back. Yet the rear disks wore as fast if not faster than the front ones. I told my wife to periodically hit the brakes harder to “ clean” the disks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BB,
People who live by the seaside tend to get more corrosion than us country dwellers. Light use of the brakes is actually detrimental to the longevity of both pads and discs. Occasional heavy braking cleans the pads, gets rid of surface corrosion on the discs and gets heat into the braking system for which it is designed. My old company cars did 30 k per annum, mostly 3- 4 hour bashes up and down motorways. The brakes were used but not excessively, always in 6 th gear, but the movement kept the discs and pads is good order. Never needed new discs, pads only.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB,
People who live by the seaside tend to get more corrosion than us country dwellers. Light use of the brakes is actually detrimental to the longevity of both pads and discs. Occasional heavy braking cleans the pads, gets rid of surface corrosion on the discs and gets heat into the braking system for which it is designed. My old company cars did 30 k per annum, mostly 3- 4 hour bashes up and down motorways. The brakes were used but not excessively, always in 6 th gear, but the movement kept the discs and pads is good order. Never needed new discs, pads only.
That probably like my wife car she brought it in year 2011 it never needed new discs pads only so she very happy and it a very good runner passed every MOT since she has owned it

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS