MOT Passed 😁

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
FEW!!!! My 2004 Shogun has passed it's MOT on 117k miles with no advisories. Really glad not to be facing more bills at the moment.
We wish we kept our Shogun now, always went through like yours with no problems,
Not so with the KIA last week, which was the first MOT we put it through

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Upper Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii)
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Had all that done with a full service £735.00
which wasnt bad really for what we had done but still did not expect it!!

• Wow
Reactions: DaveA1 and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We wish we kept our Shogun now, always went through like yours with no problems,
Not so with the KIA last week, which was the first MOT we put it through

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Upper Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii)
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Had all that done with a full service £735.00
which wasnt bad really for what we had done but still did not expect it!!
Not a bad price in all, but surprised some of the major defects were not shown as advisories at its last MoT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagakev
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
FEW!!!! My 2004 Shogun has passed it's MOT on 117k miles with no advisories. Really glad not to be facing more bills at the moment.
Our 1996 Corolla also passed its MOT last week on 117k with no advisories. Pleased with it, but sadly we will need to look at selling or trading it in the near future.

Reactions: WayneS
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Mot time here too, wifes 2016 xc60 and my 2014 santa fe both passed advisory free.

Glad as i didn't feel like being under a car and getting oily lol.

Santa fe will be going soon as going to buy a vw transporter kombi or shuttle . for a 2014 i think i will still get decent money selling the santa fe private, fingers crossed.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My Little Insignia ( I say little, as some of the motors above dwarf it) MY13 85000miles sailed through on the 9th Aug., with no advisories.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My Santa Fe goes in next wednesday for it's MOT, 82k miles. Fingers crossed all will be Ok.
Is it time that trailers in the UK should have some time of an an annual or Biannual "MOT" similar to some countries in Europe.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Santa Fe goes in next wednesday for it's MOT, 82k miles. Fingers crossed all will be Ok.
Is it time that trailers in the UK should have some time of an an annual or Biannual "MOT" similar to some countries in Europe.
Is there a problem with trailers? Do the statistics show them as a disproportionate cause of accidents?

I'd rather see re-testing of drivers every 10 years - AND - higher standard to pas - that's where the problem lies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I posted the HoC committee report recently on trailer accidents. The conclusions were that to bring in some form of registration plus testing showed a negative cost benefit. Accidents re caravans where mechanical failure was a cause were statistically insignificant. Majority, and again low incidence rate, were tyres, driver error ir other road user. So absolutely no basis at all for registration and/or testing.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
******, the SantaFe, failed on Off side Trackrod end joint. Bought a new one today and fitted it, £55 from Euro spares. Back to local MOT, for retest, all good. Now retracking , another £70.
Local auto factors sell the similar track rod end at £15. Sorry my engineering mind says I will go with the more expensive one. Probably better quality.
81k on the failed unit.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
******, the SantaFe, failed on Off side Trackrod end joint. Bought a new one today and fitted it, £55 from Euro spares. Back to local MOT, for retest, all good. Now retracking , another £70.
Local auto factors sell the similar track rod end at £15. Sorry my engineering mind says I will go with the more expensive one. Probably better quality.
81k on the failed unit.
I do the same pick the middle bracket from euro ,keep away from the cheap end and sometime get the high end depending on the job in hand.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just checked and the only one shown was

Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Oh well all done for another year.
Kev mine had Major play, realy bad, ( no fault in the driving though) everything else was fine, luckily I know the lads in the garage and they let me under the ramps to check any faults.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
They’re cast iron!👍👍
Can't go into details but sadly my job is coming to an unexpected end. Im sure I'll find something else before too long, but so relieved that the old Shoggy has made it through again. Yes it's not thev very best on fuel.... But without tempting fate it hasn't let us down t yet, so a fair offset. Seems like a few of us are going through Mot's atm.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Our 1996 Corolla also passed its MOT last week on 117k with no advisories. Pleased with it, but sadly we will need to look at selling or trading it in the near future.

Our lovely neighbours had a P reg corolla, really nice blue colour - . guessing the same model. - Exchanged up for a newer i30- again nice car but they prefered the Toyota.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our lovely neighbours had a P reg corolla, really nice blue colour - . guessing the same model. - Exchanged up for a newer i30- again nice car but they prefered the Toyota.
We still have our blue P reg Corolla so we are probably not the neighbours. LOL! :D :D

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well the front wheel tracking didn't go quite as planned. Front needed adjustment by 1.5 degrees as suspected. But the rear wheel camber and toe was also out. Probaly since new. So got it all in line to really good specs. Outcome £130 but it dos feel a lot nicer.
A printed right out of the before and after adjustments.
All done nicely at Kwik fit in Bletchly. Bucks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well the front wheel tracking didn't go quite as planned. Front needed adjustment by 1.5 degrees as suspected. But the rear wheel camber and toe was also out. Probaly since new. So got it all in line to really good specs. Outcome £130 but it dos feel a lot nicer.
A printed right out of the before and after adjustments.
All done nicely at Kwik fit in Bletchly. Bucks.
Didn’t you have something earlier that affected the rear end and tow bar location?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Didn’t you have something earlier that affected the rear end and tow bar location?
I did on the car at first, the only problem I have had with the towbar was the original one a Witter, as Original fitment would drop, on the cross bar, due to only having two attachment bolts on either side, both low tolerence fits, also with the Witter it was About an inch further from the center of the axle to the center of the Towball than recommended by Hyundai.
Witters fix was jack up the car on the tow ball and retorque to a higher torque on the 4 bolts.
I didnt like the "fix" so changed to a TowTrust one which had a three point close tolerence bolt fitment on both sides of the cross bar. And never had a problem.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the Kwikfit print out, very marginal rear wheel tracking and camber, it is probably set from new, and settling of chassie after 82k miles. But for the sake of £60, I prefer to get it all in alighnment. , with the front wheel alighnment as well.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the Kwikfit print out, very marginal rear wheel tracking and camber, it is probably set from new, and settling of chassie after 82k miles. But for the sake of £60, I prefer to get it all in alighnment. , with the front wheel alighnment as well.
Thanks for reminding me to take car to fitters on Monday to check alignment.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev mine had Major play, realy bad, ( no fault in the driving though) everything else was fine, luckily I know the lads in the garage and they let me under the ramps to check any faults.
Hutch that was the previous years advisories, this years was as yours excessive play!!! Was replaced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts