Motor-mover becoming slower and having less power.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Late last year I carried out some maintenance work on the motor-mover motors.

Nothing elaborate, just a wiring check, cleaning connectors and making sure connections were sound, and the application of electrical corrosion resistant protective coating to the electrical wires connectors.

Actually, I found everything to be in a good condition before maintenance and was pretty happy with that.

I notice (quite obviously) that traverse speed and power from the movers is progressively diminishing to the point where I am becoming increasingly concerned of failure.

EDIT: Motor-Movers are 'PurpleLine' brand.

Any thoughts folks?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thingy,

Quick check of the handbook for PurpleLine EM4445 mover, does not state if brushless or otherwise.

Quick google did not confirm either, may I assume non-brushless?

Battery is only 3 months old, 120amp and showing 12.7v after moving caravan (rather slowly :( ) into driveway.

Thank you.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If a brushed motor, I would be inclined to fit new brushes, but I would assume on a motor mover the motors would be brushless. Battery sounds good, i think it would be rather strange if both motors were to hit problems at the same time, I would expect one to start to flutter and the caravan pull to one side.

Thinking out the box, its not something daft like the handbrake not releasing?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Handbrake is functioning as it should Thingy.

Perhaps I should give PurpleLine a call today, at least they could confirm whether or not the motors are brush-less.

If I'm lucky they may suggest a remedy that falls short of replacing the motors :p

Thanks,
John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I see looking at Purpleines website that even their latest movers are rated at a max speed of 12cm per second.

Others are rated at 25 to 30 cms per second on "top speed". Mine is variable speed which can be set in increments of 25%. Is yours like that? If so, is your handset setting full speed. Is your hand set battery going down?

Have you tried the reset button on the movers control box?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thingy,

1. No variable speed or speed adjustment in this mover.
2. Will check handset battery.
3. Will try a reset on the control panel.

Thank you.

I phoned Purple-Line, spoke to Ben (very helpful), he went through some questions (battery conditions, strange noises etc.) and with the answers I gave he said that my problem was unusual.
Ben asked me to check the battery output when under load, and revert back to him.

Thingy, the motors have brushes (not brush-less). I will check their condition and clean etc.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We had a purple line mover fitted to our Avondale and after six years there was no noticeable loss of speed. I would suspect the battery.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Have to agree, Im beginning to think battery not as good as you think it is. Perhaps terminal loose on connection?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo, I had loose terminal on the MM fuse, very slow to no movement on a pitch in France, got to the next pitch up and found all the connections a bit loose all round.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
I will get the multi-meter out and check out the terminals.

Thanks folks.
G
Get to the Woosiefest and we can have a Woosie repair day, colaborate all our problems and help each other, another traight of The Woosiesies.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Anseo said:
I will get the multi-meter out and check out the terminals.

Thanks folks.
G
Get to the Woosiefest and we can have a Woosie repair day, colaborate all our problems and help each other, another traight of The Woosiesies.

With some of the problems that some people are coming on and amount of them , you might need more than the woosiefest period to fix them up ; you may need a permanent pitch ! :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo, a multi meter, will show a circuit, and probably a resistance, I would check any bolted connectors with a spanners or sockets. For tightness. White knuckles check.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure where you go next - interesting. Only thing Idon't think you've mentioned checking is the roller to tyre gap. If this had become a bit wider than it sshould these may be some slippage which would have the effect of reducing the speed gradually. Or if the gap is marginally wide and the tyres were at all wet or under inflated you might get the same effete ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts