Motorhome forum

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Regular forum users will notice that the message boards for Motorhomes has been added to the forum.
We extend a warm welcome to any motorhome owners who join our vibrant friendly online community.
Just a forewarning that users browsing the motorhome section, most especially among older postings, may occasionally encounter unauthorised adverts (commonly known as Spam) and some inappropriate material which is wholly unsuitable for this website.
We are dealing with this material which was migrated here from the old Motorhome forum.

1. If anyone is unfortunate enough to come across any of these things wherever they may be on any message board please don't click on any links.
  2. Please don't reply in any way, this can make the items that we don't want harder to identify quicly.
  3. Please dont copy or quote inappropriate material or spam, moderators have to delete all traces including any quoted copies
  4. Simply click on the Report button, moderators will then quickly and easily identify the material and take appropriate steps.
Many thanks for your continued cooperation

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So far so good. The new format seems to be effective, but it is taking a bit of getting used to. Time will tell if any foilbles rear their heads.

Have any of the mods from practical motorhome joined the team?

Hobbyt600

BANNED
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
For quite some time the only 'moderation’ taking place on the now-defunct stand-alone Practical Motorhome (PM) forum had been carried out by a forum-member named Tony Jones who had volunteered for the job.

Tony ceased being a moderator early in 2019 and subsequently there was no oversight, with spam being posted to the PM forum and never dealt with.

So the answer to your question must be “No” as - when the combined forum came into being - there were no PM forum mods.

(Presumably the people who moderated the ‘old’ Practical Caravan forum will now moderate the combined Practical Caravan + Motorhome forum.)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The lack of a moderator after the previous one had withdrawn allowed spam-bots to run unhindered which is the very worst thing as far as bona-fide members are concerned.
Forum users would begin to wonder whether their own devices were safe from malware etc; and it's easy to see that the M//h forum became little used and stagnant when the spam and inappropriate material began to appear.
There are two forum moderators who look after PCv forum, Damian and myself and we will now be moderating the M/h forum to keep it running safely and smoothly.
Visible remaining spam accounts were permanently terminated when we amalgamated and Damian spent some hours on Sunday deleting the spam material that remained on the message boards, he did a great job!
Hopefully the M/h forum will now grow into a good solid online community without unwanted malign interference, which we will promptly deal with whenever necessary.

Hobbyt600

BANNED
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The Practical Motorhome forum had become comatose well before it had no moderator, so the relatively small amount of spamming that occurred afterwards will have had no significant impact.

Good luck with the revised forums, but unless the number of active participants on the Practical Motorhome forum grows radically and rapidly, and includes people with appropriate expertise prepared to respond quickly to enquiries, it’s hard to see it matching the caravan-related forum.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The new forum looks far clearer so looking good. It did take me a lot of time to get on after rejecting my password and it still tells me to use the forgotten password option to get into the forum. Hope others did not have the same problem and have been put off.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The new forum looks far clearer so looking good. It did take me a lot of time to get on after rejecting my password and it still tells me to use the forgotten password option to get into the forum. Hope others did not have the same problem and have been put off.
Thought I was the only one as my password was also rejected so had to get a new password.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The new forum log in will not accept your old password which is why you have to use the "Forgotten Password" to reset a new one.
The reminder at the top of the pages is there to remind users of the change, once a new password is accepted you just need to log in using the Log In system as before

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I keep getting alerts/notifications that I have received some sort of trophy? What is this all about as yesterday I had a large number of them starting from "brass" going up to "Gold"?

Hobbyt600

BANNED
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
It’s perhaps worth adding that your ‘old’ password can be chosen again when using the “Forgotten Password” procedure. That’s if you can remember your old password of course ;)

Hobbyt600

BANNED
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting alerts/notifications that I have received some sort of trophy? What is this all about as yesterday I had a large number of them starting from "brass" going up to "Gold"?

If you click on the orange “B” to the left of your “Buckman” user-ID at the top-right of the forum homepage, you’ll get into your forum account. You should then (if you work at it!) be able to find a long list of these kindergarten ‘trophies’ and what they relate to. The software driving this forum has an extensive set of notification options that seemingly default to ON. I’ve just turned all my account’s options OFF.

A follow-up...

If you click on the “BADGES” box on the right of this screen above the “TRENDING THREADS” section, information about the trophies (and other stuff) should appear. Or click on the link below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Believe it or not, (there's a grumble!) I used to be able to read the old forum without putting my specs on (PC). Can't this one, plus I find the light blue print used in places not the best colour for print for reading!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bill
I don't know if you can do anything about the light blue text but you can zoom in or out of the webpage to enlarge or decrease the text size by holding down Ctrl and the + or - buttons

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Believe it or not, (there's a grumble!) I used to be able to read the old forum without putting my specs on (PC). Can't this one, plus I find the light blue print used in places not the best colour for print for reading!
I found that when using my Samsung tablet to increase the font size, i click on my name id, top right on the screen, go to preferences, and then font size, change to what you want then Save.

Reactions: Parksy
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Font\Text size can also be changed to have a default setting of Small, Medium, Large or Extra Large by clicking on your profile icon and select 'Preferences' then 'Font size'.

The same option can be accessed by clicking on 'Settings' ( cog-wheel icon) at the bottom of the left side of the screen.

(Hutch posted info just before me)

Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Is there anyway you can delete a full reply , before you post it. Without just reverse deleting the script. , I hope that makes sense.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
By clicking on your name\avatar on the top right of a page,and then select 'preferences', the first item is "Styles", the styles option allows one to select 'Dark'.

Some readers may prefer this option as opposed to the default style, I quite like it.

Hobbyt600

BANNED
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The ability to alter the forums’ appearance (Style) was mentioned by SHaines in the Forum Issues and Feedback section, but the only alternatives at present are dark text on a light background (“Practical Caravan”) or light text on a dark background ("Practical Caravan - Dark").

I really dislike light text on a dark background being used ‘stylistically’ for hardcopy or softcopy applications as, while it may amuse initially, it will soon become irritating and uncomfortable for the reader.

This link relates to colour-scheme choice for user interfaces.

https://uxplanet.org/light-or-dark-...-color-scheme-for-user-interface-9a12004bb79e

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The dark text and light background currently in use with the additional blue text is very similar to the style which has always been used for this forum and with the blue and yellow headers the Practical Caravan brand is easily identifiable.
On a smartphone any difficult to read text can be expanded by spreading the index finger and thumb outwards on the screen or on a laptop or desktop ctr+ will have the same effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts