Motorway Rip Off

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
We've just come down the M62 and stopped at Hartshead Moor to let our dog stretch her legs - as is the norm, had to park alongside the heavy lorries (really feel like we caravanners are 2nd class citizens sometimes) - I was horrified to see the cost of fuel at this motorway service station was £117.9 for Unleaded and £119.9 for diesel - what an absolute rip off - one assumes the fuel delivered to this site is no different from the fuel that arrives at my local garage (£111.9 for diesel) if so, someone is lining their pocket!! I would suggest that everyone ensure they have enough fuel for motorway trips and don't fill up at motorway service stations unless you absolutely have to - Dick Turpin is alive and well and living on the M62 just outside Bradford!!

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Nowt new there Fuel in M'way services always been at least 5p a litre dearer

We never use M'way services even for a break to Smelly

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
With a few exceptions I think most of the freeholds on the motorway services are owned by Gordie and his cronies. Consequently the rentals / lease charges to the operators are very high and relatively short term; 7 -10 years.

Thus high prices are necessary for the operator to make a living.

Another form of tax.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
ASDA fuel prices are supossedly the same right across the country 109.9, down near Dartford bridge all the nearer shell Esso garages are the same. if you have an ASDA near you it may be worth checking theirs & other stations near by

I have the ASDA poi's in my sat nav (from tom tom)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We always shop around for fuel as you can find some good deals.

Shell garage at Hagley on the kiddy road, 107.9p unleaded

Jcn 17 M5 Cribbs causway. Morrissons & Asda 106.9p

Back home in Leominster Morrisons 112.9P

Hereford BP ross road 115.9p

I firmly believe that the pump prices are being held artificially high. In the past it was very rare to get more than 4p difference across England (Scotland is a special case).

Also in this credit crunch state we are in, all other comodities are dropping in price.

Again when there was hot competition between garages it was only a penny or two that seperated the supermarket from the owner operator garage. I Hereford there is as much as 7p between petrol forecourts.

The big problem these days is that we, the public, are lazy and just stick

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
The easy answer is to ensure you have plenty of fuel before using the motorways. If the motorway services getno customers, they will soon start dropping the prices, make the blighters compete with non motorway fuels.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Driving down the M4 in my newly acquired Land Rover, notice the temp guage is off the clock. Pull into service station, stop at air/water thingy. Sign says 50p. Is that for air or water, or, air and water? Measured by time or volume?

Whatever, release radiator cap ..... for the first time in fifty years, the steam got me. Dunk hand in muddy puddle, but I still lost a lot of skin off two fingers. Water level wasn't low, it was just hot.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On another forum, a subscriber has pointed out that when good old Gordie reduce VAT to 15%, he added 2% duty to fuel. Now that VAT has gone back up, he hasn't taken off the extra 2%.

Hidden tax again?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts