Mould on curtain linings

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
Visited caravan today(first time ive been able to since Sept.).
I was expecting the worst but only found some spots of mould on most of the white linings on rear of curtains.
(2015 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz)
Ive seen many suggestions on Google,(white vinegar,bicarb, washing machine etc,)
Was wondering what suggestions members here have.
I understand that by using washing machine,there's a chance they may shrink so would prefer to find a remedy where I can clean them "in situ".
I can usually visit van once a month to "air" the caravan.
Due to lockdown,wife's big operation,work commitments and elderly dog being put down,I just couldn't get to the van until now.
Any suggestions appreciated please.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Same as you, Not been to the van yet so would be interested, in responses, never had the mould problem on curtains and on wooden surfaces where we had used furniture polish. Which we don't use any more before laying up .

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Curtain mould is one of the most difficult things to remove.

Dry cleaning does not work !

Most readily available products are bleach based and this is about the only thing that will remove all but the most stubborn stains.

There should be a label on the curtains giving care instructions, such as wash temp, tumble or air dry etc so that is the place to start.

If they are washable at low temp then you have a good chance, treat the mould areas with a bleach solution at 1/20 (one part bleach, twenty parts water) and leave to work for some time before washing.

If washing, the add some Vanish to the soap powder and wash at low temp on a short cycle.

If the curtains cannot be washed then spot treating the affected areas in isolation would work, but care must be taken not to oversoak the material and allow the bleach solution to contact the main curtain material.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for replies.
I think I will check labels on curtains(should have done it when I was at caravan)🤔

I think we will try a low temp,quick wash and hope their ok.

Now wife is recovering a little,I should be able to visit the van every couple of weeks and open everything up for a while to get the air circulating a little.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Damian. A wash probably won’t get the mould out. If it isn’t sewn all the way around, separate the lining from the curtain so that you can put a waterproof board in between curtain and lining and drop a bleach solution spot by spot on the mould spots.
Good luck. You are going to need it.
mel

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Brought the curtains home and the other half used a very mild bleach solution on the worst spots.
Washed them at a very cool temperature and shortest wash.
Very pleased with the results.
Seems to have removed about 95%of the mould spots .😊

TRENDING THREADS