Mould on toilet blade

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Having bought our first caravan a couple of months ago, we're currently getting it ready to put its winter cover on. When I emptied the remaining water and rinse agent out of the built-in chemical toilet this morning, I noticed a patch of mould on the surface of the black rubber blade that separates the toilet bowl from the waste compartment. To be honest I was rather surprised to see any mould: we've only used the van for one weekend, the loo was only used for "number ones", and we were careful to flush it out each time with the proper dilution of water and rinse agent.

So, first question: is this a common problem, and is there something we can or should be doing to prevent it?

And a second and more immediate question: any suggestions as to how best to get rid of the mould?

Thanks in advance :)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Do you mean the "shutter blade", the bit that moves to be able to "use" the loo?

If so, then what you are seeing might well not be mould, but calcium staining from the flush water.
A little vinegar will quickly dissolve that away, then it is best to leave the blade just off the seal during lay-up as these can seize up, requiring putting an unwelcome amount of strain on the plastic operating parts.

Thetford sell at a price a very good toilet cleaner that also readily shifts these calcium and uric deposits, which you will find over time take the gloss off the bowl and make it less hygienic and appear grubby. This stuff strips back to the gloss without the dangers to the plastics used that some domestic clearer could present.
LINK I suggest shopping around, it is never cheap but it varies.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Do you mean the "shutter blade", the bit that moves to be able to "use" the loo?

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.

If so, then what you are seeing might well not be mould, but calcium staining from the flush water.
A little vinegar will quickly dissolve that away, then it is best to leave the blade just off the seal during lay-up as these can seize up, requiring putting an unwelcome amount of strain on the plastic operating parts.

Thanks for the tip. Should I just close the blade, pour on a bit of vinegar and leave it to stand for a few minutes?

Thetford sell at a price a very good toilet cleaner that also readily shifts these calcium and uric deposits, which you will find over time take the gloss off the bowl and make it less hygienic and appear grubby. This stuff strips back to the gloss without the dangers to the plastics used that some domestic clearer could present.
LINK I suggest shopping around, it is never cheap but it varies.

Shall look into this for future use, thanks.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Yep. All the above as suggested by JTQ.

Also, once that is done, spray the seal and blade with silicone spray (NOT WD40!). This helps preserve and lubricate the rubber. Thetford make a suitable spray.

As an aside, it's also worth using it occasionally on your window and door seals for exactly the same reason.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Should I just close the blade, pour on a bit of vinegar and leave it to stand for a few minutes?

Yes, and using an old toothbrush give it the seal and the bowl particularly the flush water "track" a bit of a "birthday" with the vinegar, then open the blade and rinse all away with a cup full of water. Drill hole in toothbrush handle so all know it's not now for its intended use!

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Yes, and using an old toothbrush give it the seal and the bowl particularly the flush water "track" a bit of a "birthday" with the vinegar, then open the blade and rinse all away with a cup full of water. Drill hole in toothbrush handle so all know it's not now for its intended use!

Just reporting back on this: I put some vinegar on the blade as discussed. Went back to it a few hours later and, hey presto, the calcium stain was gone :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts