Mover Investment

Oct 30, 2021
Visit site
Apologies if this is duplicating any other posts, but I've done a search and can't find anything recent on this specific query

I need to make my life easier when pitching my caravan (hence my 'Reversing' thread :)) and hooking it up to leave on miserable rainy days

I would love the all singing all dancing mover(s) but looking for something a bit more less expensive, although I'm not fully against biting the bullet if it is a long term investment

I am new to caravanning, but foolishly invested in a 7.5m twin axle as my intro to caravanning. After a bit of practice I managed to hitch it up easily and drive on different types of roads, but think I will struggle for a while when arriving and leaving sites as we may only go away 4 or 5 times a year (which is another factor why I may not buy top of the range mover)

Anyway, my questions are:

• With twin axle I've been told you need a mover for each wheel/side of the caravan, doubling the cost. Is this correct?
  • Realistically, how much on average could I pick up a mover, second hand or new, for my type of van?
  • If I invest in a mover can it be transferred to my next van?
  • I am relatively fit and able (albeit carrying a couple of extra pounds (stone :rolleyes:)) so is Motorised Jockey Wheel a suitable alternative?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Twin movers are better for twin axles but some caravanners cope with just one

Movers can be transferred - dealers will often enhance the trade-in if you leave it on

Motorised jockey wheels don't have a good reputation as they have so little weight on them they don't grip well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Twin movers are better, but also add a lot more weight which needs considering. You can get single movers designed for twin axles which have a shovel affect. Never owning a twin axle I would guess that if you only have single movers, it will limit the degree of turning available.

Also movers are sold by the weight the are capable of shifting. So don’t get an underpowered one.

I once bought a top of the range mover off EBay. Had to travel a 160 mile round trip for it. But it was worth it. But there are many that look very poor.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
You cannot justify the cost of caravan accessories as an "investment". You have to pay the going rate. Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand mover because the cost of spare parts for them if anything is needed, is going to make it similar cost to a new one. Go for a new budget priced mover with the highest load rating. Fit it yourself.

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our twin axle had two put on it was very easy to put on our seasonal pitch so i think it well worth doing in the long run :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To know if a mover is needed for both axles you need to know the MTPLM of the caravan and the weight the mover manufacturer says the mover can manage. Some movers can manage the lighter twin axles with just one axle powered, but do allow a margin between the two in case the ground slopes or is muddy. One on each axle will not double the cost as there is no need to have two of everything. but it does add a fair bit to the cost.
We have had three different makes and frankly for performance there is nothing in it between them. The one point you might need to watch is actuation. If it is a lever one and you are not fully fit these might e too heavy to operate, I would try one before buying. You can get some that simply wind on which are easier. Beyond that you are looking at the automatic ones where the cost is far higher. The price will depend on make, model, age and condition so there is no easy answer on the price. Ours has been moved to a second caravan so that should not be a problem if you can do it or know someone who can.
Motorised jockey wheels do work, but can be a problem on thick gravel or mud, personally I would doubt they are good enough for a twin axle.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Our T/A has a mover on just the front axle. It does struggle with inclines and wet grass. Luckily we only need it on rare occasions as I have learned to reverse the twin axle. I must say it was a bit of a learning curve. I could reverse our old single axle easily but the twin takes so much longer to turn.
Practice makes perfect as they say.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies if this is duplicating any other posts, but I've done a search and can't find anything recent on this specific query

I need to make my life easier when pitching my caravan (hence my 'Reversing' thread :)) and hooking it up to leave on miserable rainy days

I would love the all singing all dancing mover(s) but looking for something a bit more less expensive, although I'm not fully against biting the bullet if it is a long term investment

I am new to caravanning, but foolishly invested in a 7.5m twin axle as my intro to caravanning. After a bit of practice I managed to hitch it up easily and drive on different types of roads, but think I will struggle for a while when arriving and leaving sites as we may only go away 4 or 5 times a year (which is another factor why I may not buy top of the range mover)

Anyway, my questions are:

• With twin axle I've been told you need a mover for each wheel/side of the caravan, doubling the cost. Is this correct?
  • Realistically, how much on average could I pick up a mover, second hand or new, for my type of van?
  • If I invest in a mover can it be transferred to my next van?
  • I am relatively fit and able (albeit carrying a couple of extra pounds (stone :rolleyes:)) so is Motorised Jockey Wheel a suitable alternative?

We have had twin axles with the single mover on the rear axle. Using the jockey wheel you raise the front of the caravan which then makes turning easier.
We now have an AWD self engaging motor mover which we bought because on sites in France & Spain turning can be extremely tight. If only staying in UK then a single mover is fine to use on most sites.
I think some like the Enduro can be bought brand new for under £500.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Forget the motorised jockey wheel. But if you re reasonably fit and have some practical ability. Fitting your own mover is a fairly easy task and would save £150 plus.

Plenty on YouTube

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think you need to worry about engaging the mover onto the wheel, I’ve only ever had a mover that needs a wrench to wind on the mover to the wheel and I've always had the cross bar that joins one side to the other so you only have to engage one side and the other simply follows, I’m 66 and don’t find it at all difficult to engage/disengage the mover so unless your very badly compromised with health I wouldn’t worry about it.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t think you need to worry about engaging the mover onto the wheel, I’ve only ever had a mover that needs a wrench to wind on the mover to the wheel and I've always had the cross bar that joins one side to the other so you only have to engage one side and the other simply follows, I’m 66 and don’t find it at all difficult to engage/disengage the mover so unless your very badly compromised with health I wouldn’t worry about it.

BP
Ive had three types. A Reich wind on with cross actuator. Dead easy to engage, nine years never any problem. A Powrtouch Evolution…. quite temperamental and had a tendency to not fully retract so had to be tediously wound back by hand or drill. Lastly the Powrtouch Classic with cross actuation. I binned the supplied lever handle and used a telescopic wheel wrench. Not as easy as the Reich wind on but certainly not a hassle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the presumption that you do intend to ge a mover, you must ensure the models is designed and specifically covers TA usage. It will say so in the specifications. If it doesn't say its suitable for a TA then dismiss it.

Single driven axle of dual driven axles, As has been said if only one axle is driven, the turning circle will have a greater radius than a dual driven axle unit. But there is another significant trade off. A single axle drive will weigh less than a dual axle drive, and that extra weight will reduce your payload capacity in the caravan.

Do not even entertain a jockey wheel drive unit, the reason being, it's not the power of the drive, but it's the ability of the unit to stop the caravan or to hold it on a slope. Again as has been mentioned it the lack of down force on the driven wheel. As a fairly accurate guide to their ability (or inability) if you personally could not slow or hold the caravan on a slope by hand, then the jockey wheel mover would also suffer the same inability. Also just consider how much poorer it will be in the wet or on wet slimy leaves. You also have to consider how and where to stow or carry it and fit it when you need to use it. Main wheel movers are far more capable and safer. and also they don't need to be fitted or removed each time.

Ask any group of caravanners if they'd go back to manual positioning, and I think at least 90% would say no.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
You cannot justify the cost of caravan accessories as an "investment". You have to pay the going rate. Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand mover because the cost of spare parts for them if anything is needed, is going to make it similar cost to a new one. Go for a new budget priced mover with the highest load rating. Fit it yourself.
Yes you can ! I've got a mover and it saves me storage fees.If I didn't have it I would need to use storage sites and pay the fees.
Only if the storage fees exceed the cost of the mover does the mover become an investment - it certainly does in my case (I've done the arithmetic)

Reactions: Bluetonic and Ern
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes you can ! I've got a mover and it saves me storage fees.If I didn't have it I would need to use storage sites and pay the fees.
Only if the storage fees exceed the cost of the mover does the mover become an investment - it certainly does in my case (I've done the arithmetic)
In my case, and many others I suspect, fitting a mover has enabled continued use of the caravan rather than spending a fortune on hotels - so definitely a good investment for us.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My motor mover is worth a double whammy for me.

Without it, would not be able to manoeuvre (impossible to Manhandle) van into storage on my drive, saving paying for storage and saving my bad back.

Attachments

• Van and garg 2.jpg
    Van and garg 2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We first got one due to the difficulty of getting the caravan back into our drive. The drive is off a hill and slopes down quite steeply from the road and there was a lamp post almost opposite on the pavement edge where you were likely to mount the pavement. Not long after the movers came out we got one and it transformed the operation and when others saw how we could get onto difficult pitches this probably sold quite a few more.
The caravans did outgrow the drive and we now use a storage facility but still keep the mover.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When we had much smaller caravans and did not have an extension to to front of the house. I could fit the van in, but it had to go front first. So getting it up the kerb and slight incline was hard. Movers were only just developing at that time.

I concreted a steel post and used chains and a manual winch to pull the van into position. My winch was really designed for vertical use but it still worked.

I had a friend who did similar. But he had a very very long but narrow drive through to the rear of his garden. He used an electric winch. The van only moved at a slow walking pace and he had to manually steer it past the house.

Thank god for the movers.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts