Much liked pub to close

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prior to the pandemic my wife and I used to comment that especially at lunchtimes it was the older members of society who were the mainstay of pubs' business. Even as Covid restrictions eased in 2020 then 2021 it was apparent that lunchtime business had not returned to normal. Today my wife wanted to book a lunch with friends for the end of September and was told that the pub's last day in business was 30th September. This is a lovely old country pub which had its own cricket pitch. Whilst I was working we would go there for cricket matches in the daytime and evenings too, family occasions and sometimes Xmas lunch. We have been going there since the mid 1970s although less so this last three years since we moved away from the area, and Covid.

This is clearly a sign of things to come and I feel sad for the owners and staff who will be affected.

Thank you " The Poplars" at Westwood for some happy times, some of which I remember.

84856652-BFEA-4F7F-B419-7EB47CBE60E5_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Very Sad. One of our local pubs, the landlord has said he might have to close in the afternoons, due to lack of trade, the cost of beer, and cost of utilities, also a cylinder of Co2 has gone from £3 to £14.
The next pub into the village has extended its "happy hour" 12pm to 5pm now through to 7pm with three, beers at £3.50 a pint, and large house wine £5.00 a glass. Thankfully the other three pubs are still going strong.

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Here in Lancashire the property pages are full of public houses for sale, most will more than likely wind up in other commercial use. It's a pattern all over the country, maybe the brewery's could help, :)I don't know. Reducing rents allowing those that don't own a free house to have a profit on the beer they sell might help , instead of telling people that are trying to enter, this noble profession that they will make it up by selling food.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday we went to one of the local country pubs for the first time in a very long time. Pint of cider, half pint cider and a lager and almost no change out of a tenner. Normally this pub is quite full on a Saturday afternoon, but yesterday was very quiet.
It has been in the same family for the past 51 years. They have cut back on opening hours and also meal times. I think we wil see a number of pubs closing up as punters cannot afford the prices for the drinks that the LL needs to charge to stay open. No fault of the LL.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here in Lancashire the property pages are full of public houses for sale, most will more than likely wind up in other commercial use. It's a pattern all over the country, maybe the brewery's could help, :)I don't know. Reducing rents allowing those that don't own a free house to have a profit on the beer they sell might help , instead of telling people that are trying to enter, this noble profession that they will make it up by selling food.
In our area food costs have really risen even before energy costs spiked. It’s almost cheaper to drive to Coventry to see BIL for a meal out. 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In the past my family and I enjoyed time at a local pub which overlooked a river, happy memories but now recently closed due to the down turn in economic trend.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My niece runs a deli and cafe and did say that the current costs are a problem. They cannot up prices as far as they should and to quote her verion of the problem "You cannot charge much more for a cup of coffee", meaning if you go for what you should be charging, you will have no custom and that is even worse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts