My purchase paranoia

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The car industry too has options that are added on by the dealer and they too pdi the car-for fluids fit/finish and have to valet the car as it comes in packaging to prevent damage. Cars can be sitting there a while waiting for a new owner so a pdi is important there too.

Yes a PDI, note the "I" for "Inspection", not "C" for correction nor a rebuild or finishing the build the factory forgot, did not care about or more simply just fouled up. Exact parallels with what the UK's car industry did, till their customers woke up to the alternatives that could be purchased.

We are not talking about dealer added options in either the car or leisure vehicle cases, but rectification because the factory failed to correctly build in the first place.

Very glad to hear you have been so well served, but my view is that should be the case in close to 100% of purchases, I know with caravans and motorhomes, the industry is way from that target

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have long supported the notion caravan manufacturers have not got effective quality assurance systems, and you will find reams of responses on the subject if you search for it.

Caravan manufacturers are protected from the misery of their production failures because they pass the buck to their dealers through their contracts.

The PDI is a separate issue which should as you say be an inspection just before the caravan is delivered to the customer. It should ensure the caravan is fault free. But if the manufacturer had done their job right first time PDI's would not be necessary.

Reactions: PTA

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We did back in the early part of this century when the then CC was more membership aligned, they set up and published an annual series of customer satisfaction reviews.

The results for the UK builders was truly dreadful, the continental nothing to write home about either, but nevertheless a league better than any UK builder could get close to.

Surprise, surprise after a few of these the CC dropped doing anything that was meaningful to its membership.

Without turning everything over I have not found the copies I had from back then.

I recall however, Buccaneer which was then a stand alone maker, was about the worst performer in respect to water ingress, with an incident level of 20% or possibly a little higher. And the damp issue was just one category.

I accept the UK build technology has changed since the surveys were undertaken, but if the experiences around me is any guide, things have not noticeably improved.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019
Visit site
Have just agreed to trade in my five year old Sterling Continental 580 for a brand new Elddis Crusader Mistral which we will be collecting soon.
This is where the paranoia sets in! New caravans, on the whole, have been a nightmare for us with four out of five having either damp setting in or serious issues. One (year 2010) with 47 faults (electrics, damp, fittings falling apart).
Every time we buy new, we cross our fingers whilst reciting the mantra "this one will be good."
I realise we are fortunate in being able to buy new...but it shouldn't be like this should it?
Please reassure me!.......and,please, no responses telling me I have made the wrong choice!
I have just read Which Magazine where their legal team helped a buyer return a Caravan back to the dealer for a full refund. He bought it new in 2017, (£21,499) Faults arose during the first 12 months which the dealer fixed, but further faults became evident and the dealer refused to fix them. He tried to reject the caravan but the dealer refused.
He was able to get a full refund under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We have had two new caravans from both Clwyd and Spinney in Staffordshire. That’s 4 new vans and although there have been some issues they have been trivial and dealt with immediately. On all 4 handovers everything was u and running and we were left to poke round. All 4 were Coachman.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The magazine in partnershipo with the C&CC Insurance have been doing these surveys for some years now. Basically Sprite at one time was doing very well but has now been incorporated in the Swift Group. Adria are consistently first or second and Coachman also do well.
Eldiss tend to be bottom, although the latest results saw Lunar drop below them, but it looked more like Lunar going down rather than Eldiss improving.
It is correct that in the year Buccaneers were shown as a separate brand they were bottom down below the Eldiss models. Looking at the separation of models by single makers I got the impression that the more basic models were doing better and the top of the range ones the worst.
I think this possibly comes down to two things. The first being the more expensive models have more things on them, so there is more to go wrong, and secondly despite the buyers having the same rights, their expectations may be different. As generally all levels of model are built on the same lines, I would assume the standards of workmanship would be the same for each model for each maker.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ray I totally agree-add in to the mix that the caravan makers who sell fewest caravans in the uk are the top tow-Bailey excepted here and you wonder how valid these surveys are-Fewer caravns produced-statistically fewer faults even if your fault rate by percentage is the same OR you could say fewer caravans better care -mmmm-certainly we are more than delighted with the fit and finish on our Elddis made Bucanneer-far superior to our Bailey(2017) which we still thought good but the Buc is on another level.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The magazine in partnershipo with the C&CC Insurance have been doing these surveys for some years now. Basically Sprite at one time was doing very well but has now been incorporated in the Swift Group. Adria are consistently first or second and Coachman also do well.
Eldiss tend to be bottom, although the latest results saw Lunar drop below them, but it looked more like Lunar going down rather than Eldiss improving.
It is correct that in the year Buccaneers were shown as a separate brand they were bottom down below the Eldiss models. Looking at the separation of models by single makers I got the impression that the more basic models were doing better and the top of the range ones the worst.
I think this possibly comes down to two things. The first being the more expensive models have more things on them, so there is more to go wrong, and secondly despite the buyers having the same rights, their expectations may be different. As generally all levels of model are built on the same lines, I would assume the standards of workmanship would be the same for each model for each maker.

I agree that for a while the more basic vans have done well. I think as far as Sprite are concerned they have been part of Swift for a good many years but it’s relatively recently that they were marketed as Swift Sprite.
As far owners of the more basic models are concerned I’ve heard a similar argument made for cars too. I for one have no qualms about saying that premium or budget I expect the product to be made correctly and to work. With cars the main components seem reliable so the difference tends to be the goodies added to the various models. It tends to be the goodies that give problems. Although in vans poor build quality may be endemic.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I have just read Which Magazine where their legal team helped a buyer return a Caravan back to the dealer for a full refund. He bought it new in 2017, (£21,499) Faults arose during the first 12 months which the dealer fixed, but further faults became evident and the dealer refused to fix them. He tried to reject the caravan but the dealer refused.
He was able to get a full refund under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act
An information update.
The make of Caravan which the Which Magazine helped a subscriber to get a full refund was a Lunar Clubman ES Touring, Bought new in May 2017. Aparrently it had a catalogue of flaws which were there after the 12 months guarantee ran out which the supplying dealer refused to repair. The dealer is not named

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I take it the problem was that the new Lunar would not honour the previous companies guarantee, which would have been three years. The dealer would have a duty to repair, but must have been trying to avoid their liability and in that case the finance company would be a better bet. If the caravan was that bad a return of the money paid would have been better than a repair by a dealer who did not want to do it.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Well, stap me vitals!
Crusader Mistral delivered on Wednesday and trade in towed away. Have been over it with a fine tooth comb and tested all systems. Perfect! All good.
Either Elddis, the manufacturer, has got it right or the dealer's PDI was spot on.
Paranoia now subsiding.
(The above judgements are, of course, still subject to "real world" testing...)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well, stap me vitals!
Crusader Mistral delivered on Wednesday and trade in towed away. Have been over it with a fine tooth comb and tested all systems. Perfect! All good.
Either Elddis, the manufacturer, has got it right or the dealer's PDI was spot on.
Paranoia now subsiding.
(The above judgements are, of course, still subject to "real world" testing...)
Many people , like me , may well consider getting an independent caravan engineer , to give your purchase the once over. Peace of mind etc.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Glad it's good. Ou r Oct 19 Bucaneer was similarly perfect. Not even an out of line drawer or excess silicone. So far delighted. We had the choice of Coachman or buc and our dealer said the takeover had seen a difference in fit and finish. So we went with what we liked best. Underfloor h eating!!!

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
You all seem to be buying from the wrong dealer. Are Robinsons of Worksop the only ones to do this(and to be fair the Chesterfield branch too).???

In October we took delivery of our brand new Bucanneer . When we arrived the caravan was lit up, electrics attached, water attached heating on music on . We were shown absolutely everything and every question answered that we had. Nearly 2 hours later we were ready to go after a thorough handover-they even stopped the traffic to let us out as I had a broken foot and my wife was relatively new to towing!

We got a superb PDI checklist itemising every check they had made, the van was immaculate even down to an Autosmart-commercial valeting supplies dealer, air freshener not that it needed it and of course a full damp report. We have always had a full damp report on our new Caravans from Robinsons. Superb dealership IMO. Oh and they even threw in 2 tv brackts and a hitch cover.

Not the only good dealer experience. When we bought our Swift from Chichester Caravans the salesman Paul went through the new van with us and inspected everything. They checked the LED road lights were working correctly on our tow car (Sorento) A couple of minor things I picked up were dealt with by a service ‘tech’ while we waited before we signed on the dotted. We asked for our nearly new motor mover to be transferred to the new van but they gave us a new better quality one foc. Handover was great, we only needed to be shown how the Swift Command and Alde panels worked and we were on our way.
The van has been faultless which I put down to being properly PDI’d, something I think a lot of dealerships skimp on. I think they would rather save a few quid and have the customer do the PDI for them, reminiscent of the car industry in the 70’s

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear that the Buccaneers now seem to be getting good reviews as at one time they were bottom of the pile in the magazine survey. Presumably the influence of the new owners has had an effect, which hopefully will be apparent in the next survey. I do wonder though if it will be as informative as at the moment people cannot hardly be using them.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
No that is very true-we managed 3 outings in it before lockdown-a full week over New Year , a week in the Autumn and a weekend away by the seaside-as we were going we received the notice that sites were shutting ! We made sure we used everything we could and it was cold so the heating was on for most of the time; VERY happy so far! Build quality and quality of fit and fittings seem superb; the silicone seal has been it would appear, applied by an absolute master in comparison with our Bailey-I didn't mind as thought it normal as it was our first modern caravan but the Buc is beautifully made.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have never brought a brand new caravan we were told they lose there value like a car we got a three year old Bailey Ranger 460/4 touring caravan from a caravan dealer nearby it had a PDI Check Damp free but i check it myself to make sure it had to go back for some work they had miss all under the warranty we had it for 5 years it had service history all the stamps when we come sell it we only lost about £600 to what we paid for it . And that what we carried on doing until my ill health ...

TRENDING THREADS