My Rally Pro 200 porch awning is pain in the proverbial

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
After buying the rear uprights I have managed to get the rear to stay pegged down . I got up today to pools of water on the groundsheet. OK, one lot was my own fault where a lip of groundsheet was protruding outside the wall and of course thge wind changed direction overnight so the rain was blowing straight into it. Now another source of ingress seems to be the awning skirt rail. I thought it would be OK to leave my level at 0.5º from back to front (according to iPhone). However it seems that this has enabled water to slowly trickle along and into the awning area. I'm wondering if there is a product to prevent this... I'm thinking a blob of blu tack might be good enough. Ideally I'd have predected the change of wind direction and pegged down that side. I treat my awning as a kind of semi-outdoor space anyway, but it is annoying to end up with pools of water! Seems everything has to be exactly right or water gets in. Never had this trouble with tents.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After buying the rear uprights I have managed to get the rear to stay pegged down . I got up today to pools of water on the groundsheet. OK, one lot was my own fault where a lip of groundsheet was protruding outside the wall and of course thge wind changed direction overnight so the rain was blowing straight into it. Now another source of ingress seems to be the awning skirt rail. I thought it would be OK to leave my level at 0.5º from back to front (according to iPhone). However it seems that this has enabled water to slowly trickle along and into the awning area. I'm wondering if there is a product to prevent this... I'm thinking a blob of blu tack might be good enough. Ideally I'd have predected the change of wind direction and pegged down that side. I treat my awning as a kind of semi-outdoor space anyway, but it is annoying to end up with pools of water! Seems everything has to be exactly right or water gets in. Never had this trouble with tents.
Never had that sort of problem with an awning and mine have frequently been outside of 0.5 deg level. I can’t get my spirit level to that degree of accuracy. However like you if my tent “ footprint “ is outside the perimeter of the tent it draws in water onto itself.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Never had that sort of problem with an awning and mine have frequently been outside of 0.5 deg level. I can’t get my spirit level to that degree of accuracy. However like you if my tent “ footprint “ is outside the perimeter of the tent it draws in water onto itself.
I used an app on my phone to level.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Can’t believe I never thought of that! I’m going to use a spirit level in future. Thanks for pointing that out.
Not thinking that will cure the water puddles. Methinks it is an issue with the awning not the level. Completely unhelpful comment I know but I can’t be wonderful every day.
Hope you do sort it though
Mel

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We will be taking down our awning today although we are only leaving on Tuesday morning. Just means no BBQ tomorrow evening. :(

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's interesting! I'm always looking for new ways to make sure my tents are level. What tips do you have for getting the most accurate reading with a spirit level?
Despite using tents for many years I’ve not found a way to level them, other than look for a piece of flat ground if there is any where you plan to camp.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Chris, Have a look at how a seasonal pitches their awning. The ones I see often use timber to make an elevated floor upon which they put the groundsheet etc. It also gives them an additional fastening point for the skirts.No us to me as a tourer but may help you as a long termer.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Chris, Have a look at how a seasonal pitches their awning. The ones I see often use timber to make an elevated floor upon which they put the groundsheet etc. It also gives them an additional fastening point for the skirts.No us to me as a tourer but may help you as a long termer.
I don't think Chris is static as he always seems to be in a different place each weekend?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts