My views on the new 13pin plug and socket

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Having just changed my car, i thought it prudent to convert to the 13 pin plug set up.

I had read on this forum, how wonderful the new system was, and also new vans, in the main we fitted with the new plug.

So i had my new tow bar fitted with the 13pin socket. It looks quite tidy, i must say.

And that's about all i can say for it!

Originally the plan was to use an adapter, which i got in with the tow bar deal, i wasn't happy with it, extra plugs and sockets, and quite weighty.

So i set about replacing the van plugs with with a 13pin socket.

That was the first problem, i was going to use the adaptor plug as this had a black and grey cable already fitted with a unique rubber bush in the end.

Unfortunately i found the diameter of the black flex on the adaptor to be smaller in diameter, not that you would notice, but it would not go through the grommet hole.

That was the first hiccup, of i went and bought a new 13pin plug, the two cables would not fit through the hole, so i had to remove the flex gland and grommet, wired it up and used silicon to water proof the end, and electricians tape to add extra waterproofing and security.

The problem is the two cables together are not very flexible, as opposed to two single flexes.

But there is more bad news, the plug pins 1234, are very close to the outer connections, much easier to get a couple of cores shorting, to add to that the connection diameters are smaller, were before you could double over the common white cores to ensure a good connection, well now you can't.

Also if you look at the contact area of the plug and socket it is reduced, so i can't see how the old burning problem that the old white cores were prone to has been eliminated, i think the chances have been increased.

Also i have noticed that some plugs and sockets have what looks like galvanised pins, some have brass (looks like), but all have the plated screws, that we all know rust, unless you give them a good smearing of silicon grease/ vasline.

As i always carry spares, i have now spent on two plugs and one socket, in the region of £30.

To conclude. I would not rush to convert to the new system, i wish i had stayed with the old, until a change of van forced the change.

It is not a improvement from an electrical view point.

The design is flaw, the pins are too close together, the contact surfaces too small, the cable connections too small, the method used to secure the cable to the plug relies only on a rubber grommet, a backward step from some of the old 12s.n plugs that had both a metal cable grip, and a rubber grommet.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray, if you had taken the grey and black cables back to just under the van, connected the cores to a 13 way connector block in a waterproof junction box and then come off with a single length of 13 core cable you would have reduced your problems by half.

The pin contact system in the 13 pin setup is better in as much as the pins are locked into place with no having to wiggle the plug around as you fit or remove it, so no wobbly connections and poor conductivity.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
I would agree.

My husband converted our new last year van to 13 pin by cutting the 2 cables inside the van and joining on the new length of 13 core cable, all very straightforward.

Previously he hasd converted our 98 Emerald by putting the 2 cables into the 13 pin plug, this was much more difficult.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I expect you are both right, but i don't like extra connections, just something else to go wrong.

Why couldn't "they" bring a 13pin setup onto the market, that was actually an improvement?

Rather like the latest fridges, no leds for the services.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've used the 13 pin connection for the last 7 years and had absolutely no troubles whereas the previous 25 years with 12N and 12S were a continual battle agaisnt corrosion and poor connections.

If you don't want to change your van connections forever, try this. Get 12N and 12S inline sockets (not the socket as on the back of the car) and a length of the correct 13 core cable plus a 13 pin plug. Make up an "extension" lead with the two 12 sockets at one end and the 13 pin plug at the other. Use self amalgamating insulation tape where you split the cores between the two sockets.

Unclip the van cables from the chassis until they will coil up just under the front of the van. Plug up the 12 S and N and bind up the plug and sockets with tape to make waterproof. Coil neatly under the van and secure to the underside with screw eyes and cable ties. Run the 13 core cable along the chassis to the hitch area and fit the 13 pin plug.

This way you have really good connections at the van end which can very easily be returned to original if you change the van or need to tow it with a car with only the old type sockets.

This avoids the usual exposed 13 pin car /12 S and N van connection adaptor which is prone to geting water in it and or being nicked. The 13ping euro socked is a far superior product with a quarter turn locking mechanism and i for one never want to go back to the days of cleaning 12 plus/socks with a bit of emery paper and spreading the pins with a screwdriver.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Ray s

That is reassuring, having used the 13 pin 7 years, i assume you have the fridge and charging function?

That is the only problem i have had with the old system, hardening of the insulation behind the neutral connection, i sorted the corrosion out years ago, and with my 5 year old van never had ANY problems.

I'll see how i go with the set up i have, any problems and i'll adopt one of the above suggestions.

Cheers for the feed back.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
I expect you are both right, but i don't like extra connections, just something else to go wrong.

Why couldn't "they" bring a 13pin setup onto the market, that was actually an improvement?

Rather like the latest fridges, no leds for the services.
Our fridge in the new van has a lovely blue light that tells you when things are working properly!

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Unlike the old system, we have used the 13 pin for over 2 years with no maintenance needed. We have both fridge operation and battery charging. In 9 years we got through 3 12S plugs.

Our van was just a few months too early to have the 13 pin plug. Being new, and since we plan to keep it for as long as possible, it has been converted permanently and proper soldered joins made inside the van (as we did not want to open up the fuse/connection box due to the warranty).

By the time we come to sell it 13 pin will be well established on both cars and vans.

G

I use the 13 pin socket and adaptors as my van, although EU built, was 'converted' by the dealer to the 2 12N and 12S cables and plugs. Rather than change it all back again I use the adaptor cables and you can get ones that are only about 1 foot long, so there is no real cable slack to worry about. I remove the adaptor when the van is in storage so the weather does not affect it as much and so far.. have had no trouble. The 13 pin socket and plug is defintely better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts