My water heater is showing a fault

Feb 17, 2022
Visit site
I have a 1998 Abbey 517 GTS Vogue with a Cascade water heater. I think Ive worked out how it works but the panel is showing that there's a fault. I turned on the pump, the rocker switch next to it has either car or van so I used van, then turned on the heater switch. New to this so am I doing something wrong.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am not technical, so these are the obvious questions, apologies if you have already covered it. But always worth asking.
is there water in the water tank?
Are you running on electric, ( don’t know if Carver systems can run on electric?) but if so, are you plugged into mains hook up.
Are you running on gas, in which case do you have gas supply. Is there an external vent cover that needs to be removed.
There are people who know much more about Carver systems than I do, hopefully someone can help.
good luck
mel

Feb 17, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, mains and gas connected and water in the aqua roll. Caravan has a switch under one of the seats which was also on. I have no idea what it's running off..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stennor

I'm not sure what you were expecting teh water heater to do, that might seem a daft question, but it could be your expectations are beyond the reality of what's available, so briefly:-

The Carver Cascade 2 and 2GE models, do not produce instant hot water.

I suggest you review teh operating instructions which you can find here:-

Reactions: Mel
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes! It peeps through the polystyrene
The red button Jaydug has pointed out only relates to the electric element, and would not produce a red fault light on the Cascade's wall box.

The red light indicates that the gas system has been asked to ignite, but has failed to do so. There are several possible reasons that might arise, and without a more indepth report it's simply not possible to give a copper bottomed accurate explanation of what the fault is.

I suggest you read the instructions which contain a some basic fault finding information. If that doesn't resolve to problem for you then i may need the services of a professional to investigate.

I have to point out that the heater is at least 22 years old and more than likely has never been serviced professionally. There added difficulties becasue spare parts are increasingly difficult to find.

You might get some more detailed guidance from Gary at Arcsysems.biz .

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Your water heater has seperate gas and electric systems.
The electric heater will have a seperate off/on switch somewhere marked water heater. The red button already described, protects the element from overheating if the heater is turned on without being full of water .....must be pushed in if electrical heating system is being used.

You are referring to the gas operation and you should check the following to correct a fault light.
There must be a 12 volt supply which there is if the fault light is lit.
Check the gas supply......
Make sure the main water heater supply tap is turned on.
This will be located on a manifold containing all the main supply taps to all the gas appliances....usually low down in a cupboard or under seats.
Fire up a ring on the gas hob and light to check gas has fed through the pipework.
Turn off hob and if the hob was burning correctly try the water heater again.
Persist in several attempts as water heater burner can become damp if not used for some time.
If there is still a failure to light then the problem is more serious and will probably require the burner to be serviced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
Feb 17, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, found the switch for the water heater it's on the base of the seat. We've pushed the reset button on the heater itself, I turned it all on as I did yesterday and it didn't come up with a fault, which it was almost immediately before, but after Id had a shower... No idea if it's running on gas or electric, gas is working fine for the hob and gas fire. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts