Need advice about water pump

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Just got a Baily Ranger 500/5 2000 model our first one. Very new to caravaning need all the help I can get.
Trying to set up the fresh water connection to the caravan. I don't have a hose to connect the van to the aquaroll.
I have attached pictures of the set up as I don't know what I need.
Any advice would be greatfull.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_180310.jpg
    IMG_20220410_180310.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220410_180407.jpg
    IMG_20220410_180407.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220410_180244.jpg
    IMG_20220410_180244.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220410_181128.jpg
    IMG_20220410_181128.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dermo,

You have a Whale submersible pump system controlled by a pressure switch.

You need to purchase a hose and pump assembly compatible with the Whale system. These are readily available from most caravan dealers, or on line.

The assembly as about a 0.75m long hose with a sub pump on one end and a connector at the the other. It should be plug and play.

Like this one

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
In the 3rd picture you put on that is the one end of your pump, is the other end cut off or is it there and that’s what you drop into your aqua roll?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the 3rd picture you put on that is the one end of your pump, is the other end cut off or is it there and that’s what you drop into your aqua roll?
Actually the third picture is of the inside view of the water inlet fitted in the caravan wall. As far as I can see there is no picture of a pump at all.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Before paying £58 shop around. But before that, contact whoever you purchased off, they may have simply forgot to give it to your. If it is a dealer, they should supply one anyway.

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Not a cheap job - an example of the housing from ebay
WHALE WATER PUMP INLET HOUSING SOCKET FOR MICROSWITCH SYSTEM ES1000 IVORY 766478100009 | eBay
and the pump
Whale Caravan Motorhome Water Pump Type High Flow EP1612 For The Whale Socket 766478942135 | eBay
If you do remove the existing housing you will need to clean off all traces of old mastic (turps/white spirit) and then reseal the new one with something like this
Sika Sikaflex 522 512 Caravan Sealer Sealant WHITE Bonding 310ml Motorhome 07/22 7612895613086 | eBay
Take care not to scratch the bodywork as the paint on caravans is microns thin! Clean off any excess Sikaflex while still wet, once dry it is terrible to shift!

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
After I contacted the seller he found the pump for the caravan and posted it to me.

I hooked it up. Closed all the taps, turned on the pump.

Pump starts, pressure switch starts ticking, as it's ticking the pump starts pulsing and ceiling lights start pulsing with it (both running off 12V)

Then I notice that the bottom of the inlet housing ( where the blue meets the white part in picture 3) started leaking.

If I replace the leaking inlet housing, will this solve the pulsing?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
After I contacted the seller he found the pump for the caravan and posted it to me.

I hooked it up. Closed all the taps, turned on the pump.

Pump starts, pressure switch starts ticking, as it's ticking the pump starts pulsing and ceiling lights start pulsing with it (both running off 12V)

Then I notice that the bottom of the inlet housing ( where the blue meets the white part in picture 3) started leaking.

If I replace the leaking inlet housing, will this solve the pulsing?

I may be pulling because. It is losing pressure from the leak, or because the pressure switch needs adjusting, or both, but most likely the former.

JOHN

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have a leak, then that certainly could explain the the continued pulsing. It does prove both the pump and the pressure switch works which is a good thing.

The lights obviously dimming when the pump runs suggests you may not have a battery connected. This is one reason why having a battery is a good idea to carry the increased current load when the pump runs. As the system uses a pressure switch to control the pump, it's important the pump can develop enough pressure to consistently operate the pressure switch. A power supply that drops its voltage significantly under load may mean the pump cannot reliably produce the pressure needed to trip the switch.

You may also find you need to adjust the pressure switch if the battery is not being charged. The teh pressure switch manufacturers instructions to do this.

Just a few things to remember:-
Drop the pump into the water before you connect it to the caravan. this allows the pump to prime. It's good practice to disconnect the pump from the caravan when you change the water barrel.

Do not allow the pump to run dry, as it needs water passing through it to cool the motor, and to keep the motor shaft seal to activate properly. If you do allow the pump to run dry it will quickly deteriorate and will certainly accelerate its failure.

Always make sure you fully drain the water system when you store the caravan, as any residual water may damage some fittings if it freezes. Check the operating instructions for all the appliances to discover how to drain them.

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
The lights obviously dimming when the pump runs suggests you may not have a battery connected. This is one reason why having a battery is a good idea to carry the increased current load when the pump runs

Is this battery separate from the leisure battery? I have a new leisure battery fitted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is this battery separate from the leisure battery? I have a new leisure battery fitted
The pump will use the leisure battery. Is the battery fully charged?

There is another possible reason but it's difficult to show without a new pump to compare it to. IF the old pump is well worn it may be drawing more current than it should. This would load the battery more and dim the, lights more, by swapping to a new pump you could compare the effect of the two pumps.

It sometimes makes a lot of sense to carry a spare pump, especially if buying a second hand caravan as you have no way of knowing how worn and close to failure the old pump may be.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Look at the housing inlet pipe . You will see two O rings, or their grooves as I suspect yours are missing.. Less than £2.00 for the genuine. If you decide to change the whole assembly use a proper caravan sealant eg Soudal RV 61.
I assume you cleaned up the electrical contacts on the housing and plug?

Whale Watermaster Caravan Inlet Socket Water Pump Housing Round Ring Seals plug.

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
Got the new inline housing socket today. Fitted and sealed as recommended.
Took me awhile and a few videos to work out the pressure switch but think I have it now.
Water is flowing anyway that's main thing.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
I'm back again folks.

My issue is my Whale water pump keeps popping out of the socket.

I had the system primed with no issues. Turned off all taps. Came back 5 min later turn on then turned off the a tap. Then the pump popped off.

I drained then tried re-prime the lines. Just to make sure there was no airlock in the line.
Now I can't seem to adjust the pressure switch correctly. If I tighten the screw the pump pops off if I loose it the switch keeps tikking turning the pump on and off .

Pressure from the tap seemed to be higher in the bathroom than the kitchen if that makes any difference.

Am I missing something small here cos I cracking up trying to get it work🤬

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
OK well lets start with some simple possibilities!
Do you have screw filters on the ends of your taps? Sure they filter but if the van has been unused for a while then any grot gets caught in the filters. Take a note as you take them apart as there will likely be a plastic perforated 'mushroom' and a wire mesh as well as a rubber washer. (Could be exacerbated if there is a cartridge filter that has not been changed recently as bits of the carbon add to the clog!)
And the plug is held in the housing with a lip n the hinge edge of the lid/flap. When you insert the plug and close the lid onto the plug (90 degrees) it should help to hold the thing in place.
The whale instructions on the link are pretty clear as to adjusting the pump, but you may be surprised at the amount of adjustment it needs initially to run smooth. Best to do this while you are on mains then it might need tweaking as the voltage drops if you are away from a hook-up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having looked more carefully at the last picture of the inlet on the side of the caravan, I note part of the hinge for teh lid appears to be slightly damaged, and I wonder if its not fully securing the hose adaptor when its pushed in?

I'm leaving a link to a video which is actually about the whale systems direct hose connection for caravans but at about 2 minutes in it shows how the hose connector should clip in and be locked by the lid. If your system isn't locking in this way it could well explain why the pistol keeps disconnecting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amoAUdP3vrY

You might need to replace the fitting in the side of the caravan.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. Got it working with your advice.
Took a lot of tweaking. People made it look easy on all the videos I watched, so thought I was doing something wrong.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts