Need help with a leisure battery

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi just wondering what leisure battery should I get? (Brand wise)

Ive been looking at the 230ah leisure batteries on ebay but ive never heard of the make so dont know if to trust them (they only have a 2 year warranty)
Alphaline

12v 230Ah 1350CCA
Length (mm) - 525
Width (mm) - 275
Total Height (mm) - 275
Weight (Kg) - 55
Terminal Type - Standard Post (A)
Terminal Layout - RH+ (4)

Im looking for such a large size due to the locations I'll be using the van and dont want to be running the generator 24/7

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Have a look here Tayna
Ours is the numax but look through there web site as the enduroline has a five year guarantee, cant recommend them though as never had one.
Had ours over 4 years with no problem, ordered 2.30pm one day with us 3.30 the next.
But a lot of independents local to you could be offering the same sort of deals and if it was to go wrong you could take it back locally
Shop around is the only true reply.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
This one is way too big
smiley-surprised.gif

Buy the biggest that will fit into the battery box & invest in a good solar panel
smiley-wink.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have decided not to buy online from hereon as my last experience with Tayna wasn't good. Fine for delivery but you try packing a battery for return when it has problems, and it took a lot of persuasion via SOGA Section 75 etc before I got some response. Local outlets around here are not that much dearer than online and easier to access if problems arise. Also 230 ah is far too large unless you plan to drive your caravan to its site using the mover!!!!

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi i was planning to mount the 230 inside the van above the axle to ensure as i have enough room for it. I was also planning to use the battery to power the fridge while asleep as running the generator all night would cost a small fortune.

pmb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I suppose I should ask the fundamental question seeing as no one else has which is what's wrong with using the fridge on gas like everyone else would? Surely a 110 amp hour will last long enough for other things and fit in an external locker. I'm not sure but don't battery's have to be mounted in an external locker for ventilation nowadays? 55kg for an internal battery is also a concern for me.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
oBladeo said:
Hi i was planning to mount the 230 inside the van above the axle to ensure as i have enough room for it. I was also planning to use the battery to power the fridge while asleep as running the generator all night would cost a small fortune.

The battery wont power the fridge unless it is plugged in to the car with the engine running!
Gas or electric for on site.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Too heavy to carry in the van, too heavy to anchor in the van safely, would take too much current and flatten it over night, would need a number of wiring mods to power the fridge as, as already stated it is normally only powered when the car is running. I understand the 12v heating element is not controlled by a thermostat like the gas and mains is.

Why not gas?

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Just a bit of background why i'm doing this.
I go paintballing to events that are at MOD training sites in the middle of no where and they last 3 days. So there is no electric or gas unless i bring my own (sometimes also have to take my own water).

I'm in the process of rebuilding the van from the wheels up (damp and other issues)

The battery will be mounted inside the van above the axle as it's a sealed battery its fine (i'd never mount a non sealed battery indoors). The battery and car wiring would be ran in parrel using a fused switch to allow the parrel circuit to be broken. This means if i run out of gas i could switch to the battery if required (it'll only cool for so long before the battery runs out). Once i turn the generator back on the battery would be recharged so i'm not bothered if i flatten it over night.

The only thing that is bothering me at the min is the weight of the battery and the brand so i have to do allot more research.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm having difficulty posting? I have measured my 12 volt fridge heating coil at 9 amps from the car. So a 230AHr battery will be about 1/2 discharged in only about 12 hours. I don't think it is practical. Also, I don't think there is a thermostat on the 12 volt heater coil. rich text disabled?

compatibility issues then!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
ChrisUK said:
I'm having difficulty posting? I have measured my 12 volt fridge heating coil at 9 amps from the car. So a 230AHr battery will be about 1/2 discharged in only about 12 hours. I don't think it is practical. Also, I don't think there is a thermostat on the 12 volt heater coil. rich text disabled?

compatibility issues then!
Hi Chris
Have a look below :

Has your PC done some recent updates ?
It will need the compatibility view mode re-setting for when you are using Internet Explorer.
When Internet Explorer senses a compatibility issue you'll see the Compatibility View button on the Address bar.

It will turn blue when in use.

3d92bf36-19d8-487d-9654-1163646c7e4_zps5cc12636.jpg

To turn Compatibility View on, click the Compatibility View button to the make the icon change from a gray outline to a solid blue color (see illustration below)

pcvcompatabilitymode_zpsa8e384f4.jpg

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
WIth the calculations you made you also didn't think about solar pannels and how they would off set the drain.

I'm a guy that thinks ****** it lets try it and if it don't work i'll just add another battery to ensure it works lol
Nothing i do is dangerous and the worst that can happen is a flat battery which does not bother me as i have generators and the van has a built in battery charger. I did plan to fit one but didn't need it in the end :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts