New booking.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Our April booking being cancelled we took the 1/6/20 . Having got the new advisory from UKGOV wonder whether that will be cancelled. Spoke to site manager and it seems the club are looking into this period.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A large number of “at risk” people have received a NHS letter telling them to stay home and self isolate for 12 more weeks. I too will be very surprised if sites open before July

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A large number of “at risk” people have received a NHS letter telling them to stay home and self isolate for 12 more weeks. I too will be very surprised if sites open before July
I’d agree and it may only be a partial opening with no site facilities opened up initially. So it would mean using the units own shower and toilet possibly. There also may be a reduced number of pitches offerEd although the spacing between units meets social distancing requirements. Be interesting to see how it “pans” out.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi DD, I read your post about people on the shielded list receiving NHS letters about an extension to the 12 week lockdown, being one of the so called vulnerable group who had the NHS letter back when Boris first announced it I did some googling to see if anything was being mentioned, I think rather than existing letter recipients getting extensions it seems to be people who haven’t yet had letters receiving them late, what then happens is what myself and my wife had happen, I received my letter on 22/3 stating 12 weeks from that date, my wife had hers on 2/4 which means her 12 weeks ends almost 2 weeks after me, if someone gets a letter tomorrow it would probably be dated 18/4 and so on, I think this is where people are thinking it’s getting extended, that’s my take on what seems to be happening but if your right I apologise unreservedly.

BP

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Benjamin Franklin is credited with saying "If you fail to plan, your planning to fail" and that sentiment has been well proven throughout history.

The present Covid-19 pandemic has really thrown into sharp relief the difference between organisations that had and had not developed an effective disaster strategy. Just look at the number of High Street big names that are teetering on the edge, and some have already admitted failure and will be lost.

"Disaster planning" was a buzz phrase that was bandied about during the later part of the 20 century, how many recall the threat of the year 2000 computer bug, which was suggested might bring the world to a stop? It didn't, and I suspect becasue we got through that event virtually unscathed, many organisations may have taken their eyes off the ball.

However most business insurers will have been reminding organisations that it makes good sense to have a disaster plan in place to deal with things like fires, floods, customer debt, legal defence, Some insurance policies were only agreed when, an organisation could demonstrate they had a plan and were actively working to protect data and property.

One of the difficulties of this type of planning is you won't know how effective you have been until a disaster actually occurs. To be competitive in today's markets businesses have to be lean, and I suspect many have pared down on activities which have rendered them far more vulnerable to the social and financial effects of this pandemic.

Part of a good plan should consider how to recover from the disaster. Ideally it would be nice to have a detailed plan already written, and it just needs to be got down from the book shelf and dusted off, but that is impossible becasue until you know the exact nature of the disaster you can't make detailed plans. So you need to have identified a team of people who will monitor the progress of events, and to use what knowledge is known of the disaster to look forward and to plan a exit strategy. I suspect this is what the caravan clubs and site owners have been been doing, so they can be ready to spring back into action when the restrictions are removed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi DD, I read your post about people on the shielded list receiving NHS letters about an extension to the 12 week lockdown, being one of the so called vulnerable group who had the NHS letter back when Boris first announced it I did some googling to see if anything was being mentioned, I think rather than existing letter recipients getting extensions it seems to be people who haven’t yet had letters receiving them late, what then happens is what myself and my wife had happen, I received my letter on 22/3 stating 12 weeks from that date, my wife had hers on 2/4 which means her 12 weeks ends almost 2 weeks after me, if someone gets a letter tomorrow it would probably be dated 18/4 and so on, I think this is where people are thinking it’s getting extended, that’s my take on what seems to be happening but if your right I apologise unreservedly.

BP
Initially it was reported that 1.5 million Extremely Vulnerable people would be contacted but then it was reported that only 900000 (approx) had been identified in the first tranche. HMG was then to contact GP practices to assist in finding those who had not been contacted. I guess this two part approach was necessary because the HMG, NHS and GP record data bases aren’t totally joined up. Two of my relatives in the Midlands received text messages and a letter at the outset.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Benjamin Franklin is credited with saying "If you fail to plan, your planning to fail" and that sentiment has been well proven throughout history.

The present Covid-19 pandemic has really thrown into sharp relief the difference between organisations that had and had not developed an effective disaster strategy. Just look at the number of High Street big names that are teetering on the edge, and some have already admitted failure and will be lost.

"Disaster planning" was a buzz phrase that was bandied about during the later part of the 20 century, how many recall the threat of the year 2000 computer bug, which was suggested might bring the world to a stop? It didn't, and I suspect becasue we got through that event virtually unscathed, many organisations may have taken their eyes off the ball.

However most business insurers will have been reminding organisations that it makes good sense to have a disaster plan in place to deal with things like fires, floods, customer debt, legal defence, Some insurance policies were only agreed when, an organisation could demonstrate they had a plan and were actively working to protect data and property.

One of the difficulties of this type of planning is you won't know how effective you have been until a disaster actually occurs. To be competitive in today's markets businesses have to be lean, and I suspect many have pared down on activities which have rendered them far more vulnerable to the social and financial effects of this pandemic.

Part of a good plan should consider how to recover from the disaster. Ideally it would be nice to have a detailed plan already written, and it just needs to be got down from the book shelf and dusted off, but that is impossible becasue until you know the exact nature of the disaster you can't make detailed plans. So you need to have identified a team of people who will monitor the progress of events, and to use what knowledge is known of the disaster to look forward and to plan a exit strategy. I suspect this is what the caravan clubs and site owners have been been doing, so they can be ready to spring back into action when the restrictions are removed.
Many of the well known high street names were already teetering on the brink before coronavirus hit. Even if companies and organisations had foreseen a pandemic with a potential lockdown lasting potentially 2-3 months with only a slow return to “ normality of sorts’ there are many who would still have been badly hit or destroyed. Manufacturing can hardly work from home, the supply chain would have been broken, customer confidence will have gone if they are loosing or at risk of loosing their jobs.
The only areas that can seem to function, in part, are where business can be conducted from home or where protective measures can be introduced.

One area that failed to adequately plan was HMG. For some years a pandemic was seen as a top level risk yet clear gaps were left in the planning and support for such an event. Even when the virus was shown to be spreading valuable time was lost before proper action was taken. Despite the financial stresses that the NHS and Care sector have suffered over many years, now the ones who have performed superbly are the staffs of those organisations supported by the armed services and many other key workers who have worked hard to keep supplies and other services going.

Reactions: PTA
May 7, 2012
Visit site
As the Prof says companies were encouraged to look at disaster planning but I am not sure that would always include a pandemic, which would shut down the business with often no alternative. As a company we did offer this service but the main thrust was how to keep trading in the event of your premises being lost mainly to fire although it also would cover other possibilities.
What they would normally plan for is to identify alternatives say to keep production running or alternative office space or both, which meant trading could continue as far as possible. As an insurer this was of help to us as it kept claims costs down if we could keep companies trading and helped the companies who could feel safer in the knowledge that they had a plan for a disaster and it reduced their premiums.
What we have hear is a shutdown, with no alternatives in many cases, and many will not be insured against this.
Companies running at a loss or at minimal profit are clearly at risk, as are those that have high borrowings, which can only increase pressure on them with little or no money coming in. After this is all over though the ones that survived well might just be in a position to snap up the weaker ones, or those that have gone into administration at very cheap prices. Even the government loans scheme is to borrow so the extra borrowing is not feasible for some.
Both the CAMH and C&CC had strong balance sheets going into the lockdown, and I would expect them to survive better than many commercial sites running on high debt levels. This just might give the clubs a chance to cherry pick some very good sites later.
There is a long way to go yet so we will all have to wait and see what happens.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Many leading Insurance Brokers have offered Risk Management programmes for their clients for at least Forty years. Prof rightly refers to the year 2000. Then Insurance was available with the appropriate risk management advice for what colloquially became known as the Millenium bug. Back in the days when ISO 9000, 9001 &9002 were introduced disaster planning was a pre requisite to obtain certification. A good example of such planning is the of The All England Lawn Tennis Club. The closure of their Wimbledon season will see them collect a multi million pound payout from their Insurers. Here their. Brokers ,and Risk Managers had the afore site to plan for a pandemic. I feel sorry for the SMEs who not necessarily have such good advisors

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Disaster planning is no longer what businesses should be talking about, because in general it's too limiting. They should be looking at Business Continuity Planning - how do they continue their business in a number of scenarios - e.g. loss of access to buildings or for this case impact of an epidemic. Certainly over the last few years of my employment, the latter was very much to the fore - I think the plan was revised either due to Swine Flu or Bird Flu...

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
(Edit following Guzzillazz's posting above )
In this post I refer to "Disaster planning" but as Glz points out them preferred phrase is now "Business Continuity Planning" it amounts to much the same thing

If you know the details of a disaster before it arises, then you have a chance to make plans tailored to the circumstances, but the Achilles heel of blind disaster planning, is the detail information is not there on which to base decisions, and you have little idea what form of disaster might be about to unfold.
Nuclear fall out
Pandemic virus
Fire
Flood
War
Water shortage........ Etc
I'm sure there are basic plans in place for all and more of these, but it's Impossible to plan in detail for every single possibility.

There is plenty of history about pandemics, but a detailed strategy for one type of virus may be ineffective for mutated or new strains, which makes pandemic planning something of a guessing game. Some basics will almost certainly apply, such as the need to limit the spread of infection, but here the problem is until the infection arrises, you have little or zero information on how virile the strain is and what transmission modes it has.

With some strains we do have vaccines, which can be quite effective at preventing infection.

Sars was an example where the threat was over emphasised, and we were infact over prepared. I suppose it might be argued that the measures that were taken prevented the spread.

Since the availability of fast travel local, national and international, the world has been at far greater risk of having pandemics.

In the case of Covid-19 it's taken everyone by surprise just how infectious it is, and of course it's a new strain for which presently there is no vaccine. This meant that there were no easy ready made answerers on how to deal with is outbreak. It's notable that whist each country has taken the isolation procedure, details are different, and based on the figures so far, which we know are not directly comparable between countries, we are all trying to learn from each other. Also there are many reasons why one countries protocol may not be equally effective elsewhere due to social customs, and I have heard to day, there is a suspicion the virus may be more dangerous to some ethnic groups.

With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to criticise the government's approach, and there have definitely been some aspects HMG could have done better, but if you look at the decisions and what information was available at the time, those decisions are not so bad. One must also consider the likelihood that there might have been more than one possible route, but you have to choose one, when other people may have chosen an alternative. Both might have worked equally well, or more likely had slightly different biases.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Some very good points arising from you guys👍👍.
As far as HMG goes they have quite correctly imo taken Counsel from the medical boffins . Any other HMG from another party would no doubt have taken the same route. So for me I do not believe politics has directly driven crucial decisions, furlough excepted. It is interesting ,I believe the Daily Telegraph, the delay in obtaining PPE for all exposed in their jobs has arisen due to the ineffective actions of the NHS procurement teams. Allegedly thousands of PPE are available but not yet purchased by the NHS. If what I read is true the. Someone needs the proverbial kicking. Still no flour anywhere but every5hing else is easily obtained unless you are dependent on home deliveries.
I hope your shopping problems Prof has been resolved .Good luck.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure that when half of the world's population is in lockdown that there is plenty of PPE available. Many, many countries are chasing the same supply.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have also received a High Risk NHS letter do not go out my wife has wrap me up in cotton wool and got our son to keep and i on me because she at work (NHS) as i have already mention she a nurse .
She cannot wait for a break when we can take the caravan out and try our new porch air awning .

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that it is correct that the problems lay mostly with the medical advisors and procurement, but given this was something completely new, everyone has had to second guess everything and I think hindsight is no basis for criticising people doing their best in very difficult circumstances.
The PPE problem comes down to us and many other countries having outsourced virtually everything needed and we are now competing with the rest of the world to get supplies from those who make it mainly China who now seem to be profiting from the crisis they caused.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
To add to Raywood's comments, it's amazing how many journalists are virologists and epidemiologists now. The global demand for medical PPE must be phenomenal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts