New car - license weight check

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

Fairly new to caravanning, we got our first one last June - a Sterling Eccles Sport 442 (2012 edition). I haven’t passed my B+E, the caravan MTPLM is 1235.

I used to tow with a VW golf 1.6 and it struggled a little although the car was fine to tow that caravan weight as we check against manufacturers guidelines.

I upgraded recently to a VW Tiguan, 2 litre and would just like to double triple check my understanding before I tow...

Car weights:
  • Kerb weight - 1585
  • Gross vehicle weight - 2310
  • Max towing weight braked - 2200
Would I be correct thinking, as long as the car + caravan and all contents do not exceed 3.5 Tonne when I tow (and sensibly loaded, 85% ratio) then I’m legal to tow on my current license (I passed after Jan 1997)?

Also I live 10 mins from a weigh bridge so I could always get weighed when contents and passenger is in to check first.

thanks 😊

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought, are you getting the vehicle Gross weight off the registration document or VIN plate?

Someone i know looked up the gross weight for their car off the internet, but when they looked at the registration document, it was less than what they thought and meant they didn't need a B+E test.

Reactions: Hutch
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Just a thought, are you getting the vehicle Gross weight off the registration document or VIN plate?

Someone i know looked up the gross weight for their car off the internet, but when they looked at the registration document, it was less than what they thought and meant they didn't need a B+E test.

I got mine from the site that was selling the car (the dealership) I’ll check my registration certificate, but I’ve a feeling they’ve got it correct.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site

Registration document says 2280, so still 15kg over! Gutted... so close.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I got mine from the site that was selling the car (the dealership) I’ll check my registration certificate, but I’ve a feeling they’ve got it correct.
Do not believe them, alot of the time dealers do not understand kerb weights and max train weights.
Sorry posted before you last one.

Reactions: sarahc_
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

Fairly new to caravanning, we got our first one last June - a Sterling Eccles Sport 442 (2012 edition). I haven’t passed my B+E, the caravan MTPLM is 1235.

I used to tow with a VW golf 1.6 and it struggled a little although the car was fine to tow that caravan weight as we check against manufacturers guidelines.

I upgraded recently to a VW Tiguan, 2 litre and would just like to double triple check my understanding before I tow...

Car weights:
  • Kerb weight - 1585
  • Gross vehicle weight - 2310
  • Max towing weight braked - 2200
Would I be correct thinking, as long as the car + caravan and all contents do not exceed 3.5 Tonne when I tow (and sensibly loaded, 85% ratio) then I’m legal to tow on my current license (I passed after Jan 1997)?

Also I live 10 mins from a weigh bridge so I could always get weighed when contents and passenger is in to check first.

thanks 😊

That 2200Kg is something that concerns me as my car (a Passat Estate, fundamentally the same workings as a Tig) the max towing weight is listed on one VW site on line as 2200Kg, on another VW site as 2000Kg but the true figure is 1825Kg.

Look on the nearside B-pillar (between front and back doors) and you will find a label with four numbers on it. Of the two at the top the larger figure is the Gross Train Weight and the second is the Gross Vehicle Weight. Subtract the smaller from the larger and you have the maximum towing weight - not that this will be an issue in your case. If the figures you have given above the one would expect to see 4510 and 2310 but I doubt it will be anything like that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That 2200Kg is something that concerns me as my car (a Passat Estate, fundamentally the same workings as a Tig) the max towing weight is listed on one VW site on line as 2200Kg, on another VW site as 2000Kg but the true figure is 1825Kg.

Look on the nearside B-pillar (between front and back doors) and you will find a label with four numbers on it. Of the two at the top the larger figure is the Gross Train Weight and the second is the Gross Vehicle Weight. Subtract the smaller from the larger and you have the maximum towing weight - not that this will be an issue in your case. If the figures you have given above the one would expect to see 4510 and 2310 but I doubt it will be anything like that.
Hello Woodentop,

You have not understood the way the sytem works. It is true the GTW -GVW gives a figure but it is only the the maximum towed weight when the tow vehicle is fully loaded, and that ensures the whole outfit is within the GTW. - And that is the crux of the issue. Some car manufacturers do indeed state a higher figure for the maximum towed weight provided the weight carried in the car is reduced by the same margin so the over all weight of the outfit remains within the GTW.

And just to confuse matters more, the Towed weightof a trailer is only the load on the roadwheels not ite MTPLM. the nose load is carried by the car and forms part of the axle loads on the car. This can be used to squeeze a slightly bigger caravan into the equationbut its marginal and simpler and safer to to keep the MTPLM of the trailer no greater than the tow vehicles stated maximum permitted towed weight.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Good towcars often have towing limits way in excess of their kerbweight, remember that other types of trailer are available besides caravans! My SUV is 2280 kg kerbweight, but like most of the larger SUVs has a 3500 kg towing limit and judging by Aussies and Americans towing with the same car handles 3500 kg / 7700 lb caravans/travel trailers very well.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I’m so happy to say I’ve just passed my B+E this morning!!!

Im off to a Devon tomorrow but had changed it to a static caravan to play it safe, but here’s to many more caravanning trips now im legal again! 🙌🏻
Congratulations - enjoy.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Im off to a Devon tomorrow but had changed it to a static caravan to play it safe, but here’s to many more caravanning trips now im legal again! 🙌🏻
Fantastic well done have a nice time in Devon

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site

Great! Congratulations 👍👍👍 👏👏👏

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts